Thread: Micronutrients page

cblupo is offline Junior Member

Micronutrients

Primal Fuel
    I've been easing my way into the Paleo diet and I have a good understanding of the carbs the fats and the proteins. However, I haven't seen a lot of content on micronutrients, the essential vitamins and minerals. Do the recommended daily intake, RDI, proportions on nutrition labels stay the same with this diet? Or they need to be modified in any way?

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    In the US at least the rationale behind each RDA are kind of all over the place so I wouldn't lean on them. Broadly speaking a rotating variety of whole flora and fauna will contain excellent nutrition.

VitA = eggs, organs
    VitB = meat
    VitC = fruits (savory or sweet)
    VitD = daylight
    VitE = can be low on paleo due to low PUFA link but may not be needed
    VitK = fermented vegetables, cheese
    magnesium = can be low for all modern folk, consider epsom bath or supplement
    iodine = seaweed, mollusks

Calcium, iron, zinc, and others all tend to be sufficient assuming your menu is not monotonous.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cblupo View Post
    I've been easing my way into the Paleo diet and I have a good understanding of the carbs the fats and the proteins. However, I haven't seen a lot of content on micronutrients, the essential vitamins and minerals. Do the recommended daily intake, RDI, proportions on nutrition labels stay the same with this diet? Or they need to be modified in any way?
    The worst thing you can do is overthink it. If you're eating real food, avoiding ANTI foods, and keeping an eye on source quality, I wouldn't bother with thinking too much beyond that.