Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prominent veins page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Prominent veins

I'm 5' 3" and weigh 114 lbs. - female. I've noticed since I've reached my weight goal that the veins on my forearms are very prominent. Sometimes they are very large and bulgy and other time they are flat and hardly noticiable. Dr. Eades said he noticed his veins in his arms we're hardly noticible when he was dehydrated, after he rehydrated himself his veins expanded and were very evident. This was mentioned in a discussion of nocturnal leg cramps. I, also, suffer from night leg cramps. Anyone have any thoughts about this condition. It isn't very pretty . . . on a woman.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you're overhydrated, which is causing the veins to be more prominent and throwing your electrolyte balance out of whack, which may explain the leg cramps. How much water and other fluids do you drink in a day? What's your salt and potassium intake like? Are you taking a magnesium supplement?

Overhydrating never occurred to me. We always hear that people don't drink enough water. I do get the "whoosh" maybe more often than is normal, going to the bathroom about once an hour over a 24 hour period.
    I take 396 mgs (I think it's measured in mgs) of Potassium every day along with 4 - 250 mgs tablets of magnesium and 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D3. I drink about 40 ounces of water a day plus 2 - 10- 12 ounce cups of decaf coffee.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I'm also 5'3" and started to see this as my weight dropped below 125lbs. I actually decided not to push down to my high school weight of 115 until I get some more lean mass, and maybe give my body fat some time to adjust. My arms are looking scrawny, despite some visible fat still around my middle. I agree that veiny forearms are not a good look. I'm hoping that taking it slow with the last 10lbs will help.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I'm also 5'3" and started to see this as my weight dropped below 125lbs. I actually decided not to push down to my high school weight of 115 until I get some more lean mass, and maybe give my body fat some time to adjust. My arms are looking scrawny, despite some visible fat still around my middle. I agree that veiny forearms are not a good look. I'm hoping that taking it slow with the last 10lbs will help.
    I've come down from 244.8 lbs. over the last 2 1/2 years. I suppose I lost a lot of muscle (I spent one of those years in a wheelchair recovering from a broken thigh bone). I'm not a fan of exercising and the year in the wheelchair weakened my right knee (arthritis) to the point that I can't completely straighten my leg. The doctor, naturally, wants to replace the knee and that would make walking a lot easier. I have a huge excess of skin on my arms, stomach and legs. It seems to be pulling up a little but there's a long way to go.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I dunno, but the veins in my arms have been pretty much ripping out of my skin since I was 12. If I get blood drawn and there's a trainee around, they bring the trainee in because I'm like a can't miss anatomy dummy. I dated a phlebotomy tech once, and it was creepy how much she loved them and always asked if she could draw my blood.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    5'4 and 100. No vein problems, but then again, I've always had small vein. Unlike the above poster, I'm a phlebotomist's nightmare.

I do notice my veins get more prominent when I've had a lot of water, though.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    5'4 and 100. No vein problems, but then again, I've always had small vein. Unlike the above poster, I'm a phlebotomist's nightmare.

I do notice my veins get more prominent when I've had a lot of water, though.
    Some of the women in my family have a hard time having blood drawn. I don't have that problem but neither were my veins prominent. Looking down at my arm while I'm typing this at 7:40 a.m. having only a cup of coffee and a few swallows of water, my veins appear bulgy but not as bad as other times. I'm going to watch very closely and try to note when they are very large appearing and how much water I've been drinking.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Overhydrating never occurred to me. We always hear that people don't drink enough water. I do get the "whoosh" maybe more often than is normal, going to the bathroom about once an hour over a 24 hour period.
    I take 396 mgs (I think it's measured in mgs) of Potassium every day along with 4 - 250 mgs tablets of magnesium and 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D3. I drink about 40 ounces of water a day plus 2 - 10- 12 ounce cups of decaf coffee.
    What do yo umean by "whoosh"? Pee? Are you getting enough sodium?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Big veins are amazing and pretty, like the rest of nature. They are like rivers, branches and mineral deposits. Enjoy them, and ignore the haters!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast