Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Middle age fat and getting fatter page

Roberta13 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Middle age fat and getting fatter

I started the primal diet about 2 weeks ago. I'm 50 years old, about 20 lb overweight (5'6", 140 or so), and mostly sedentary but I've been walking and working out with a Total Gym for about a month. I really started eating primal as an experiment to see if I could regulate the IBS with constipation that I've always suffered from. This is my report so far:

The first week was awesome! I was wasn't bloated like I had been when I was eating wheat and grains, and i was regular too. I thought this was fantastic and I urged my 80 year old mom to try it - I get the IBS from her.

Week two, not so much. IBS is still in force, as strong as ever, and on top of that, no weight loss either. Maybe it isn't that drastic of a step for me, since I never ate processed food, don't drink soda, cook from scratch, don't eat sweets or sugar in my coffee. I also have never had much of an appetite, and usually ate only when hungry, so not that much. I guess cutting out bread and crackers and pasta was not that big of a deal in terms of weight loss, cuz my clothes feel tighter, not looser.

To say that I'm frustrated and disappointed is putting it mildly. I'm ready to go back to eating whatever the hell I want, since it wasn't that bad in the first place, other than the fact that the carbs were making me bloated. To all those folks who have such success stories: how nice for you. This feels like a big fat failure to me.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    What are you actually eating? Have you tried mostly meat with fermented and non-starchy plant foods? That helps my IBS. And I can't eat kiwis or oranges, either.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

I'm eating lots of eggs, ground beef, pork, aged cheese, fruit (peaches while they are still in season, bananas), bacon, tuna fish from the can. Still have my one cup of coffee in the a.m. (espresso w/ half/half), and Chobani yogurt (no fruit on bottom). I bought a primal eating cookbook and made some muffins w/ coconut and tapioca flour. They were really good, btw. Eating salad and broccoli for veggies.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Could be the coconut flour. If I remember correctly, it has quite a bit of fiber.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    If I had a ton of weight to lose, I wouldn't eat cheese, primal baked goods, or maybe even bacon. Too easily to be used as a crutch and to overeat. Dairy in general causes me digestive issues as well so I have to eat it in small quantities.

I would suggest red meat, some veggies, some fruit, bone broth/gelatin, eggs, and see where that takes me. Since you have IBS maybe eat less veggies and eat them well cooked and eat more of the other items.

You have to cut the bad habits first or else you would be eating pretty much the same nutrient void foods (coconut-tapioca muffins vs bread) in the same quantity as you used to. Those are occasional treats... Not something you eat every day. I personally wouldn't suggest making those at all and just find desserts that are actually closer to whole foods: fruits, smoothies, etc. I would allow myself a tiny amount of dark chocolate as long as I don't overeat it as well.

One general trend I have noticed is that the longer people are primal, the less they mess with "almond crust chicken fried in coconut oil topped with cashew cream" and would rather eat the chicken roasted, less primal/paleo baking... And more simplification with just having fruits & cream or dark choco for dessert. When I first went primal I made so much coconut flour crust pizza it was ridiculous, and I missed the point to eat real whole foods as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 10-01-2013 at 08:04 AM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

thanks for the feedback, Turquoisepassion. The muffins were an experiment and I only had them a couple of days for breakfast. They are tiny - one day I had two with coffee, the next only one.
    I only have bacon with eggs or in a salad.
    I'm not much of a dessert eater, and even before primal eating, would have a piece of dark chocolate as desert, or fruit.
    Since I don't like to cook very much, I'm into making the simplest and quickest things I can, so the "almond crust chicken fried in coconut oil" isn't my thing anyway, and even before going primal, I'd marinade the chicken in olive oil, lemon juice with some spices, and grill it.

Eating primal hasn't really been that difficult b/c it's not that far off from what and how I was eating in the first place. The biggest difference has been the absence of bread, crackers, pasta, and cereal, which makes it challenging to find things to eat. In the past i'd eat a slice of banana bread for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and cheese and crackers for snack, or pasta with home made pesto for dinner. I'm 1/2 Italian, so even the tomato sauce I make is from scratch. The one thing i'm doing more of is trying to eat clean food and really reading the labels on what I buy. I made chili with real spices instead of a chili mix, for example, b/c i read the ingredients on the package and couldn't pronounce some of them.

so my source of frustration is that i've given up the bread, pasta, crackers, and cereal, eating cleaner food, exercising more than before, and yet, i can't seem to lose weight. I guess my age may have something to do with it. sigh.

jodi29 is offline Member
    If you had said "I started the primal diet two years ago..." I would have been concerned. You have only been trying this two weeks! Please give it more time. Your body needs to adjust to giving up the breads and pasta and realize that you are only going to put whole foods in your body from now on. You can do it!!

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta13 View Post
    thanks for the feedback, Turquoisepassion. The muffins were an experiment and I only had them a couple of days for breakfast. They are tiny - one day I had two with coffee, the next only one.
    I only have bacon with eggs or in a salad.
    I'm not much of a dessert eater, and even before primal eating, would have a piece of dark chocolate as desert, or fruit.
    Since I don't like to cook very much, I'm into making the simplest and quickest things I can, so the "almond crust chicken fried in coconut oil" isn't my thing anyway, and even before going primal, I'd marinade the chicken in olive oil, lemon juice with some spices, and grill it.

Eating primal hasn't really been that difficult b/c it's not that far off from what and how I was eating in the first place. The biggest difference has been the absence of bread, crackers, pasta, and cereal, which makes it challenging to find things to eat. In the past i'd eat a slice of banana bread for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and cheese and crackers for snack, or pasta with home made pesto for dinner. I'm 1/2 Italian, so even the tomato sauce I make is from scratch. The one thing i'm doing more of is trying to eat clean food and really reading the labels on what I buy. I made chili with real spices instead of a chili mix, for example, b/c i read the ingredients on the package and couldn't pronounce some of them.

so my source of frustration is that i've given up the bread, pasta, crackers, and cereal, eating cleaner food, exercising more than before, and yet, i can't seem to lose weight. I guess my age may have something to do with it. sigh.
    What is a typical day's worth of food? That would receive more helpful responses for weight loss and IBS.

Also, be patient. It is normal for some to not lose weight the first few weeks. Just cut out dairy and bacon for a while, focus on high quality lean and fatty red meats and gelatinous cuts... And see how you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Thanks for the encouragement, Jodi29. Yeah, I'm impatient, but I guess I'm also not factoring the adjustment my body has to make to not having bread and pasta.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Typical day's food ... well I eat when i'm hungry, not necessarily breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but here goes:

2-3 eggs, cooked in butter with 3 slices of bacon
    handful of almonds
    Chobani vanilla yogurt
    grilled chicken, broccoli

Or...
    chobani and a banana
    salad with lettuce, tomato, avocado, hard boiled egg, bacon, olive oil, salt and pepper
    1 peach
    handful of almonds
    2 hardboiled eggs, deviled

that was what i ate a couple of days last week. Today I haven't eaten yet (it's 12:30 ET) but i'm about to have a yogurt with a peach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast