Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My relative wants to lose 30 pounds by Christmas. What should I tell him? page

fitnessfanatic is offline Junior Member

My relative wants to lose 30 pounds by Christmas. What should I tell him?

Primal Fuel
    It's my brother-in-law by the way. He is currently 192 pounds and 5'8" tall. He has that beer gut. But he never drinks alcohol. He used to eat everything. Like he was 18 years old again. He's 28 years old by the way.

I'm doing this for him because he does not have Internet access at home. He's got a wife and two kids. No funds for the gym and no funds for exercise equipment. He is a big family man and most of his money goes to his two kids. He's a great guy and I wanted to provide some good solid advice for him. The equipment he does have is a pull up/dip station at home. That's it.

Some good news though! He recently converted to eating Primal/Paleo. So that's good news.
    He wants to lose the weight so he doesn't feel embarrassed when he takes pictures with family and friends around the holiday season this year. He wants go back to his high school weight.

He wants to see the look on people's faces when he walks into a room after he loses the weight. He is very motivated. He just lacks the guidance. He is a fitness newb and I can't help him much with advice either. Since not sure what to tell him on getting fast results.

He has been watching the P90X, Insanity and just recently the T25 infomercials. He really likes T25 and Insanity. The one reason he likes T25 is because of the short time to workout. He is just concerned about Insanity. He did talk to his co-worker a while ago that is also a part-time personal trainer and told him not to do Insanity. Too much cardio, you will lose muscle and look more like a marathon runner than a sprinter. The co-worker quit and moved to Rhode Island to be with his family.

When he did have Internet access a while ago and had more money. He did do some research. He wasn't sure on what to do. Join a gym, get a set of dumbbells, buy a Kettlebell, do P90x at home or Insanity.

He just wants FAST results by the holiday season and will move on to something better. He told me if he gets a tax refund. He's going to pay off some bills and join a gym.

He's up for anything that will bring real fast results.

What should I tell him? Please no smart ass comments. I'm just trying to help him out. Thank you.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Basically looking at 30 pounds in 10 weeks. 3 pounds a week. Caloric deficit of 1500 calories a day. For a body with a sedentary TDEE of about 2200.

That is going to be very very hard to do. Basically, he needs to do the equivalent of eating at 1600 calories a day and cycling 25 miles a day.
    Last edited by DeeDub; 09-30-2013 at 03:05 PM.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    30 lbs might not be realistic. He can look better than high school if he did handstands, push-ups, pull-ups, dips, and squats (wall, one legged, plyo, etc). Muscle helps someone lean out with eating more calories.

Also look at the steak and eggs hack and the potato hack. depending on his genetics one of those hacks will work beautifully. For me it was s&e... But some have gotten amazing results with the potato hack. The potato might be more appealing for him since he is on a budget. Just eat cold potatoes for the morning/lunch meal, and potatoes prepared whatever way you want for evening. Extreme weight loss calls for either cutting carbs way down or fat way down to almost zero.

P90x requires a set of weights or resistance bands. Time commitment is like 6x a week, 1-1.5hr/day. You would be constantly sore and tired. At least that was how I was, but I built a decent amount of muscle on it. It was overtraining IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    If he is going to do it with diet alone, he would have to cut his intake to the equivalent of eating literally nothing at all for six of the next 10 weeks.

That's a brutally hard path...

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Lose 20 lbs and then enter a sauna before taking pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    30 lbs might not be realistic. He can look better than high school if he did handstands, push-ups, pull-ups, dips, and squats (wall, one legged, plyo, etc). Muscle helps someone lean out with eating more calories.

Also look at the steak and eggs hack and the potato hack. depending on his genetics one of those hacks will work beautifully. For me it was s&e... But some have gotten amazing results with the potato hack. The potato might be more appealing for him since he is on a budget. Just eat cold potatoes for the morning/lunch meal, and potatoes prepared whatever way you want for evening. Extreme weight loss calls for either cutting carbs way down or fat way down to almost zero.

P90x requires a set of weights or resistance bands. Time commitment is like 6x a week, 1-1.5hr/day. You would be constantly sore and tired. At least that was how I was, but I built a decent amount of muscle on it. It was overtraining IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Thank you for hack suggestions. Seems interesting. Do you just eat steak and eggs everyday? Do you have a link to provide for information. I need to print it out and give it to him.

He is having a really hard time deciding between Insanity, T25 or just the basics like pull ups, push ups, dips, squats and burpees. He likes knowing when he will see some kind of result in 60 days with Insanity or T25 and following along with the video.

We were just talking about Shaun T. earlier today and we are both wondering if Shaun T. ONLY does Insanity or does he do weights too? hmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    If he is going to do it with diet alone, he would have to cut his intake to the equivalent of eating literally nothing at all for six of the next 10 weeks.

That's a brutally hard path...
    That's what I told him. But he won't listen. I have been talking to him about the Warrior Diet, Eat Stop Eat and Lean Gains as well. I just don't want him to pass out.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Basically looking at 30 pounds in 10 weeks. 3 pounds a week. Caloric deficit of 1500 calories a day. For a body with a sedentary TDEE of about 2200.

That is going to be very very hard to do. Basically, he needs to do the equivalent of eating at 1600 calories a day and cycling 25 miles a day.
    It's quite possible mate, in my first 10 weeks I averaged around 2 kg a week fat loss (4 pounds a week). I didn't really do much excersise in the beginning either, I only started lifting heavy and sprinting a few months in. I wasn't really starving myself either.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Hello, you can suggest him the Warrior Diet or Fast/5 eating plan, while the food and activities are "primal".
    A pull-up / chin-up / dip station is GREAT!! He can start the barstarzz program as well (just look it up)
    I also suggest the Abs101 and Back101 by Dominic Lacasse 5 to 6 days / week (yotube has the vids). It looks like nothing but it is very efficient at building up a strong core.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    Hello, you can suggest him the Warrior Diet or Fast/5 eating plan, while the food and activities are "primal".
    A pull-up / chin-up / dip station is GREAT!! He can start the barstarzz program as well (just look it up)
    I also suggest the Abs101 and Back101 by Dominic Lacasse 5 to 6 days / week (yotube has the vids). It looks like nothing but it is very efficient at building up a strong core.
    I did look up the barstarzz program but I found so many barstarzz programs. Which one is it? Does the workout have a name?

I wish I can talk to someone that has the basic calisthenics program and lost weight fast. Fast meaning a few months.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast