Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My relative wants to lose 30 pounds by Christmas. What should I tell him? page 3

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If he's waffling over what exercise program to do but not yet doing any exercise program at all, I'd say his prospects are not good. He should just start trying stuff while he's making up his mind what to do.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    For me nothing happened weight-wise the first 2 weeks on the PB. Then I lost about 2 lbs. a week at a steady clip. I think I was fairly low carb with little fruit and no starches.

I was also doing the exercise portion as well.

I'd say he either goes heavy, by changing his lifestyle to the PB or he goes home. Trying to lose that much blubber in 10 weeks would just be a brutal crash diet where he'll shed both lean muscle and bone mass as well as fat, the latter of which will be packed on as soon as he resumes his old lifestyle.

fitnessfanatic is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all for the feedback. He has already lost about 3-4 pounds. He will not be going back to his old ways. He loves eating Primal. He has decided to do Shaun T's Focus T25 workout. Then move on to something better when he is done with that. Most likely join a gym. Curtis has decided he won't go back to his old ways ever again after the way it made him feel. He feels more alive right now than his whole life.

He is wondering about eating broccoli. Is that a good vegetable to eat everyday? He has a Costco membership and really likes broccoli for some reason. lol
    He just heard that starch in vegetables is bad.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think his goal is do-able. At the very least, he's going to see a change in body composition as he goes along, even if he doesn't reach his "weight" goal.

But, I think he will need to be strict in three ways:

1. he really needs to do the Whole30 version of primal (no cheat days, no paleo treats, etc);

2. he needs to follow PB Fitness (it will do the work, get him started, and it's no more than 30 minutes 3x a week -- two lifting, one sprinting);

3. he needs to make sure he's getting enough sleep (this seems to be the biggest thing in our household for maintaining healthy weight).

I think if he does that, he'll be surprised at how quickly he reaches and surpasses his goals.

My recommendation is that he does Whole 30 for the next two months combined with basic Primal Blueprint Fitness -- which takes very little time. Two body weight workouts per week that last about 30 minutes (or less), plus one sprinting session that's less than 30 minutes for sure.

Part of the reason that we went paleo/primal is due to the time constraints of our work/family life. This said "don't work out too much, just work out hard/smart when you need to. Eat well. get plenty of rest."

Our Primal diet is closer to Whole30 -- has been for nearly three years now. We IF -- but that's not necessary (coming up on the one-year anniversary of dong that). And, we basically "work out" 3x a week (DH hits the gym for heavy weights; I do my bodyweight stuff (challenging yoga poses); we both sprint together). And, we play a lot as a family (hiking, swimming). Dh and I do yoga and mobility work each day (gentle).

It's a really simple process. Very basic and straight forward.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    In season, we basically eat broccoli every day.

It's spring now, so we are re-diversifying, but the whole winter (basically from June to present), we've had the following veggies pretty much every day: brussels sprouts, cabbage, cavolo nero kale, pumpkin (starch, but we actually need it because we are maintaining ourselves, not loosing), carrots, and chard (also called silver beet here).

We are currently eating spring salads (lettuces, asparagus, beets, baby greens, sprouts, etc) plus some winter veg. Whatever is in season and cheapest is what we eat.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Zoebird, I was so pleased to see asparagus at last! I'm so over broccoli.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessfanatic View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback. He has already lost about 3-4 pounds. He will not be going back to his old ways. He loves eating Primal. He has decided to do Shaun T's Focus T25 workout. Then move on to something better when he is done with that. Most likely join a gym. Curtis has decided he won't go back to his old ways ever again after the way it made him feel. He feels more alive right now than his whole life.

He is wondering about eating broccoli. Is that a good vegetable to eat everyday? He has a Costco membership and really likes broccoli for some reason. lol
    He just heard that starch in vegetables is bad.
    You don't actually need to eat veggies... If you eat liver and etc. But broccoli is good since he likes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123