Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Everyman Retired page

Mr. Everyman is offline Junior Member

Everyman Retired

Primal Fuel
    I am retired. I have been retired for over two years. I worked as an accountant for over thirty years. On occasion, I would think: if only I had the time and money, I would do great things.

I now have lots of time and sufficient funds for my modest needs and what have I done for the past two years?

Absolutely nothing.

The purpose of this journal is to motivate myself. It seems to me that by writing down my goals, plans and efforts to be the best I could possibly be, I would be more likely to follow them.

I invite you to join me on this journey, to be my guide, mentor and critic and weíll see where it takes us.

Kikiperpie is offline Senior Member
    Welcome ER! Hope you are feeling enthused about starting your primal journey. What brought you to primal? There is some great, and some brain achingly conflicting advice on here so always do your own research too!
    I'm not saying lets kill all the stupid people in the world, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

Thanks Kiki,

I am indeed looking forward to this journey.

What brought me to Primal? Well, in short: I smoke a lot: 30 cigarettes a day. I drink a lot: binge three times a week. My diet is horrific, my sleep even worse and I never exercise. I am in terrible physical condition. I came upon ďThe Perfect Health DietĒ in the library and it made a lot of sense. So, I might just give it a whirl.

Every man addresses the Demon Drink

I woke up this morning with a hangover. This seems an opportune time to address one of my addictions.

The Facts:

I was bored last evening so I cycled over to my club and had six large drinks with some acquaintances I met there. I enjoyed a few sociable hours. I staggered home with my bicycle and fell asleep for five hours, unable to fall asleep again. Methinks I see a pattern emerging since Iíve been retired. I typically drink as above three evenings a week.

The Downside of his Drinking:

1) Technically, the imbibing of six drinks in a row three times a week makes him an alcoholic by any recognized criteria.

2) Alcohol disturbs his sleep, both in quality and duration.

3) He feels quite bad and unsettled the next day, making three days out of the seven in week unpleasant.

4) This kind of drinking is bad for his long term health leading to heart, liver and numerous other problems.

5) He has a bit of a paunch to which alcohol is a major contributor.

6) He does/says stupid things when inebriated leading to regret and loss of reputation.

7) He has fallen off his bicycle several times when coming home from the club.

8) The financial cost rings in at 6 drinks * $7.00 a drink * 3 times a week * 52 weeks. About $7,500 a year: a not insignificant sum.

The Upside of his Drinking:

1) Alcohol alleviates his boredom. Being retired, he has lots of time on his hands.

2) He is more social and less inhibited when he drinks.

3) He thinks he is more creative when he drinks.

So there you have it. On balance, I would say the negatives outweigh the positives. In regard to the upside, I need to develop hobbies so that I am not bored. I need to be more social when Iím not drinking: say hi to strangers, smile more and the like. I also need to write this journal regularly to develop my creative side without the impetus of alcohol.

The Decision

Everyman hereby pledges to abstain from all alcoholic beverages for 30 days, at the conclusion of which time, this question will be reexamined. This will rid the body of toxins and allow the implementation of the strategies outlined above; to wit: develop hobbies, be more social and write a lot.

Last edited by Mr. Everyman; 09-30-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Every Man wants to be Happy

Iím attracted to the primal diet because I like getting down to basics and you canít get any more foundational than basing your diet on what we evolved to eat. Iíve now had the opportunity to tour the site and it seems to be a curious mix of wisdom, contrarianism and one of the best sources of health advice anywhere.

As I said, I like getting down to basics and it seems to me that this pursuit of the perfect diet is essentially a pursuit of good health which is essentially a pursuit of happiness. The goal for the most part is not to look good, but much more importantly, to feel good. Our existence here is based upon our physical body which determines not only our total life span but also whether we are free from pain and discomfort on a daily basis. Good health is therefore, for most of us a necessary prerequisite for happiness and I think I can safely assert that every man is interested in being happy. But hereís the rub: what is happiness? I like some of this guyís ideas:

The Happiness Hypothesis - Jonathan Haidt

but Iíll have to think on it for a while. Happiness, I think should encompass the entire being: Body, Mind and Soul. There is a great deal on this forum on the health of the body, some on mental health and a little on spiritual health.

Iíll return to this question of happiness at a later date. As a working hypothesis for now, we can define happiness as feeling good most of the time. Since being healthy is part of feeling good, it makes good practical sense to eat the optimal diet, viz. primal diet.

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Everyman View Post
    I am retired. I have been retired for over two years. I worked as an accountant for over thirty years. On occasion, I would think: if only I had the time and money, I would do great things.

I now have lots of time and sufficient funds for my modest needs and what have I done for the past two years?

Absolutely nothing.

The purpose of this journal is to motivate myself. It seems to me that by writing down my goals, plans and efforts to be the best I could possibly be, I would be more likely to follow them.

I invite you to join me on this journey, to be my guide, mentor and critic and we’ll see where it takes us.
    Retired and lots of funds??? Are you single?? Marry me ... marry me .. marry me...

Just kiding lol we were discussing retirement on another thread, and just saw this

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Everyman View Post

Absolutely nothing.

I invite you to join me on this journey, to be my guide, mentor and critic and we’ll see where it takes us.
    Retired and lots of funds??? so lucky

Just kidding lol we were discussing retirement on another thread, and just saw this

Kikiperpie is offline Senior Member
    Well I think that you will get loads of support here. Writing your goals increases your chance of achieving them. Having said that I have posted the last 2 nights that i was going to work out and failed miserably, but at least the intention was there, life just got in the way. At least this forum gives you the opportunity to dust yourself down and pick yourself up without feeling bad which is more than I have felt when I have tried to change my lifestyle in the past.
    I'm not saying lets kill all the stupid people in the world, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

Hotmail, I am sorely tempted by your kind offer to enter into matrimony. However I am honor bound to decline since I greatly fear you may have misread my post (angelic expression and halo above). I do have ďlots of time and sufficient funds for my modest needsĒ, but I should point out that my needs are exceedingly modest.

You are absolutely right, Kiki. I never really thought of myself as an alcoholic till I saw the Downside in black and white. Seems to strengthen my resolve to keep the Pledge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast