Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grain and Nut Free Pie Crust page

lworrilow is offline Junior Member

Grain and Nut Free Pie Crust

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone have a recipe for a grain and nut free pie crust. My wife has an allergy to nuts and nut flour so she can't eat it. I use tapioca flour for a lot of recipes but I can't find a recipe for pie crust. I have found some that use tapioca flour but they also have rice flour. Thanks for any help!

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    if coconut is ok, you can try something with coconut flour. it is hard to cook with. i would potentially cut it with tapioca and also maybe potato starch.

I use Tapioca and coconut for the bread I make but I can't find a recipe for pie crust. I guess I could try throwing something together but not knowing the amounts it would just be a guess.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    with pastry, you usually have more fat than bread. depends too if you wanted puff pastry or short crust. but experiment. cooking is an art not a science.

ETA: I googled and this came up Coconut Flour Pie Crust Recipe - HealthNut Nation

Thanks for the link. I've been searching for a while and didn't see this one. I'll give it a try.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lworrilow View Post
    Does anyone have a recipe for a grain and nut free pie crust. My wife has an allergy to nuts and nut flour so she can't eat it. I use tapioca flour for a lot of recipes but I can't find a recipe for pie crust. I have found some that use tapioca flour but they also have rice flour. Thanks for any help!
    First off, what's wrong with white rice flour? It is totally benign and no different from tapioca starch from a nutrition or anti-nutrient standpoint. It also has an allergen rate of basically zero.

1/2 cup white rice flour
    1/4 cup tapioca starch
    1/4 cup potato starch

Mix together to form 1 cup of "all purpose gluten free flour" and simply substitute it 1:1 in any recipe that calls for all purpose wheat flour.

If you absolutely refuse to use white rice flour for some reason, and again I really can't figure out why, you can use something like 1/3 sorghum flour, 1/3 tapioca starch and 1/3 potato starch. Sorghum technically isn't a grain, but it's higher in anti-nutrients than white rice...virtually everything else.

My final suggestion is in the book that came out, Primal Indulgences, that Mark promoted for awhile, there was a gluten-free flour blend listed that uses coconut flour and tapioca starch in some quantity. It was totally grain and nut free. You can use that, but I'd still recommend the white rice blend.

I STRONGLY advise against a coconut flour crust because you will get a funky, crumbly texture. You CANNOT get a "flake" with coconut flour. You must use a high starch/low fiber/finely milled flour. Coconut flour will be worse than a nut meal IMO.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Primal mama has a "coconut flour pie crust" too.

I used it for a pumpkin cream pie topped with coconut whipped cream. So good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    You could also add buckwheat flour you know.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You could also add buckwheat flour you know.
    If she doesn't want to use rice flour, buckwheat is probably problematic as well, as it is more allergenic.

TBH, I wonder if a crumble is a better idea than a pie....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    But that's what I don't understand. How is white rice flour allergenic?? I have never heard of anyone with a white rice allergy. I have actually heard of coconut and cassava allergies, though very rare, but never white rice.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast