Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grain and Nut Free Pie Crust page 2

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    But that's what I don't understand. How is white rice flour allergenic?? I have never heard of anyone with a white rice allergy. I have actually heard of coconut and cassava allergies, though very rare, but never white rice.
    I am not allergic to it but unless it is sushi rice I get a huge energy crash I don't get from fruits as carbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    First off, what's wrong with white rice flour? It is totally benign and no different from tapioca starch from a nutrition or anti-nutrient standpoint. It also has an allergen rate of basically zero.

1/2 cup white rice flour
    1/4 cup tapioca starch
    1/4 cup potato starch

Mix together to form 1 cup of "all purpose gluten free flour" and simply substitute it 1:1 in any recipe that calls for all purpose wheat flour.

If you absolutely refuse to use white rice flour for some reason, and again I really can't figure out why, you can use something like 1/3 sorghum flour, 1/3 tapioca starch and 1/3 potato starch. Sorghum technically isn't a grain, but it's higher in anti-nutrients than white rice...virtually everything else.

My final suggestion is in the book that came out, Primal Indulgences, that Mark promoted for awhile, there was a gluten-free flour blend listed that uses coconut flour and tapioca starch in some quantity. It was totally grain and nut free. You can use that, but I'd still recommend the white rice blend.

I STRONGLY advise against a coconut flour crust because you will get a funky, crumbly texture. You CANNOT get a "flake" with coconut flour. You must use a high starch/low fiber/finely milled flour. Coconut flour will be worse than a nut meal IMO.
    Are tapioca and potato starch that different that you couldn't just use 1/2 cup of either instead of a 1/4 cup of both? I always assumed they would react to cooking/baking in a similar manner but perhaps I was incorrect.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    I am not allergic to it but unless it is sushi rice I get a huge energy crash I don't get from fruits as carbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    From restaurants? Sushi rice contains wheat and soy. It is made with soy sauce (which contains more wheat than soy), rice vinegar, sugar, typically soybean oil to prevent caking and maybe a few other things. It probably isn't the rice. It could be all the additives.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    Are tapioca and potato starch that different that you couldn't just use 1/2 cup of either instead of a 1/4 cup of both? I always assumed they would react to cooking/baking in a similar manner but perhaps I was incorrect.
    I think they thicken at slightly different rates. Usually I see recipes calling for cornstarch requiring more if tapioca starch is used...I think potato is a little closer to 1:1 with cornstarch. Don't quote me on that, though. The starch molecules aren't the same size, so a recipe calling for 1/4 cup potato starch and 1/4 cup tapioca starch will be a little different if you use 1/2 cup of one or the other with none of the other.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    choco that is pretty much the GF flour mix i use to bake the kids cookies and cakes

IME just tapoica starch in crumble goes rubbery. i found out by accident as it was the only flour i had in the house and the kids wanted apple crumble. oh and the kids had a teacher who was allergic to coconut. he couldnt have anzac cookies which was how i found out.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    From restaurants? Sushi rice contains wheat and soy. It is made with soy sauce (which contains more wheat than soy), rice vinegar, sugar, typically soybean oil to prevent caking and maybe a few other things. It probably isn't the rice. It could be all the additives.
    I'm going to have to look into this. I've never heard of soy sauce and soy oil being added to sushi rice except maybe the cheap grocery store kind.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    I'm going to have to look into this. I've never heard of soy sauce and soy oil being added to sushi rice except maybe the cheap grocery store kind.
    2 cups uncooked glutinous white rice (sushi rice)
    3 cups water
    1/2 cup rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1 teaspoon salt

Perfect Sushi Rice Recipe - Allrecipes.com

There is no rule that states sushi rice has to be just plain rice. There are many iterations of it. Unless you make it yourself, you just don't know what's in it. It's unfair to judge any food sensitivities based on an meal at a restaurant. Purchase a bag of sushi rice at a store and make it plain for yourself at home. I'm willing to bet you have no reaction and it's something they're adding at a restaurant giving you problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12