Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Warrior in training journal page

amazonmagic is offline Senior Member

Talking Warrior in training journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How does one introduce themselves on a board like this? Well I discovered Marks book back in March and implemented it in April 80/20 principle. I have lost about 15 pounds and am under 200 pounds for the first time since I was 17 which is very cool. I needed a little motivation because my 80/20 has turned into Monday thru Friday (ok Thursday!) great, the rest, just plain naughty. I haven't gained anything back but I have a feeling that has more to do with the working out and intermittent fasting than my eating habits. I need a little motivation but also support. Thanks for reading if you do. So today I am IFing till 2 then I eat till 7. I don't know if anyone lives in the great northwest, but we have had the wettest summer thus far. I need sun, blue sky, men in nothing but shorts offering to rub lotion on....Oh wait different thought process. Well I'll be working out tonight with my best gal pal (doing the P90x, lifting only though) and have my food all ready for consumption. I did not drink coffee today and am honestly trying to cut the habit, so if this sounds like a ramble it is! talk to ya later

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Amazon!
    I think you'll like it here

Thank you Kuno, I think so too!

Coffee, coffee, coffee. I didn't make it this morning! It was so good! I'm an addict I can't help myself. I am contemplating on how to motivate myself to do more physically. The book says go with your motivation, but sometimes I think I just get lazy and need to GET motivated. I dont' know if its the weather around here or what. I sprint on Wensdays with a good group of people and just the fact that I have people relying on me to show up motivates me to go. I may grumble the whole way there but as soon as I see there shining smiles I am ready to run. Its so fun, we got to the track do our sprints, yell at each other to go faster, do it till you throw up, GO GO GO! It pushes me, I love it! After we're all done we stretch out on the grass, help each other out get to that point where it feels good again. It's become a wonderful mid week ritual. We have a group of 5 doing the sprints for individual reasons (3 of us are primal), but I would love that kind of motivation in weight lifting. The problem is finding someone who is at my skill level. It drives me crazy to lift with someone who has bad form and doesn't push it, I know selfish and bad, but I can't help it, but then the guys don't lift with me because I can't lift as much as they do, bullheaded buggers! My girl Heather, is a champ though, she lifts with me, but she gets way to regimented for me. We worked out last week and I could barley straighten my arms for 3 days, but she was go go go. NO, I am not going when I can't even scratch my booty! So that is my rant for the day. I really do have a great workout support group and I honestly have nothing to complain about, just doing a little venting and whining to make room for the motivational energy to fill me up. Gotta get rid of the negative to make room for the postitive!
    Last edited by amazonmagic; 06-09-2010 at 08:26 AM.

So, its 2 pm here and I am munching on some fresh cauliflower, minding my own bees wax, relaxing doing my job, when people begin to come into my office eating fresh made bread. No biggie, not interested. They keep coming in saying hey fresh healthy bread. The local office health guy made it and it apparently is fantastic. People slather it with peanut butter, organic grape jelly and butter. My counterpart who is 65 and a carb addict says "You don't want bread? Its healthy, come on, it better than that ranch dressing your having with you vegetables, its good for you." I roll my eyes and say grains are not healthy! He starts to laugh!!!! OMG! I dont understand, I have lost 30 pounds since january, beginning with low carb, then going primal when I plateaued. I was a metal worker before that and could pretty much eat whatever I wanted and not gain, but when I went to the dark side of the house (engineering) I had to adjust what I ate. Low and behold I did not acquire the infamous office ass! In fact, mine shrank, so to all those nay sayers, you can kiss my rapidly shrinking butt! I am a carnivore! I dig it, I live it, I love it!

XYZ
    XYZ is offline Senior Member
    You should have really freaked them out and eaten a spoonfull of the butter.

Congrats on the weightloss so far.

Thanks X! Well last night was interesting, I walked home (45 minutes), it was absolutely beautiful I couldn't help myself, and then Heather and I lifted some serious weight. I was cooking my dinner afterwords thinking about an article Mark had posted regarding gaining muscle while loosing fat. He suggested using different methods of measuring body fat loss, pictures, clothes fitting etc. It got me thinking "Hmm I wonder what I look like in a picture right now?" So I got out the camera and snapped some shots of me in my undies flexing my newly forming guns. Suffice it to say I did a little nose crinkling while looking at them. How strange that my right arm is so much firmer than my left? WTF? Yes I'm right handed but you wouldn't think there would be that much of a difference. I used to swing a sledge hammer for a living all day, every day, I never had to worry about this. This made me go back and look at my lifting numbers, my left is so much weaker! So mental note, work the left arm a little harder. Or is that good, how do you even out the muscle in your arms? So sprinting is tonight and then more lifting, excited about the sprints, got my new knee brace (torn ACL) and feel like I will be able to put more effort into them. Fear of reinjury has stopped me from going balls to the walls (with women should that be hooters to the heavens?), but tonight I feel it will happen. I hope to exhaust myself after 8 sprints, and I mean drop to the ground and dont move till my bladder demands it exhaust!

XYZ
    XYZ is offline Senior Member
    For your arm, make sure to work them separately. Such as dumbbell curls or one arm triceps press-downs. Work the weaker arm first for each set/exercise to failure. Then do no more than match the numbers with your stronger arm. That should help your left arm catch up. Also, if you are doing compound exercises such as pullups, bench presses, shoulder presses, etc., You shouldn't need to do more than about 2-4 total sets for both biceps and triceps. Anything else is really overworking them.

Thanks for the info. I've been using the same weight with each arm but fewer reps with the left, thinking it will get stronger, good to know to only match with the right arm. I know about the overworking them did that last week. We worked out last night and my chest and back are tight but not in excrutiating pain.

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Hi and welcome! This is a great board! I am trying to quit coffee too - mostly because I can't stand it without chocolate and sugar in it The weird thing is, I'm doing good on the weekdays then had some on the weekend... Good for you, doing the sprints and weightlifting. It sounds like you are pretty serious lifter, but if you want to streamline your routine I recommend taking a look at Body By Science (sorry forget the author right now) ... basically he says all you need to do is do a set of 5 core exercises, super -slow and super-heavy (so that you have time under load of 90 seconds and by the end of 90 seconds you are at failure). And you only do it once per 5-7 days. I've just started, but after only 2 workouts I increased my 'real' (toe) pushups from 2 to 10. And 20 minutes a week works perfectly into my schedule

Glad you're hear, and great job on the 30 lb loss already!
    mikki

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast