Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full benefits of Paleo page

amyb is offline Member

Full benefits of Paleo

Primal Fuel
    I was reading through some mountain biking forums and they were talking about the paleo diet. Some where indicating that even if you don't follow it strictly 100% of the time, you can still reap 90-95% of the benefits. Is this true and is there any research on this that people can link me to?
    Thanks!! Happy Monday!

Samphis is offline Member
    Basically this whole website? Scroll up and click "Start Here."

APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member
    Read Mark's book The Primal Blueprint and also check out Robb Wolf and Whole 9 online. Tons of stuff. You have to work out your own path, as everyone is different. You'll get a thousand different opinions from the forum. Read the books, put the concepts into practice and you'll probably be very pleasantly surprised by your results.

alanwil2 is offline Member
    Well, if you eat to many carbs or don't eat enough fat, you will not get any benefits.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    It's like your job. You gotta be a full timer for 6 months or so to get full benefits. Then you're entitled to a little vacation time once in a while.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanwil2 View Post
    Well, if you eat to many carbs or don't eat enough fat, you will not get any benefits.
    Seriously?

I've noticed plenty of benefits from dropping grains and crappy seed oils, which are also main points of a paleo/primal diet. Carbs come from other (perfectly healthy) sources than bread and pasta and limiting those healthy carbs can be negative for some people. Eating more fat isn't always the answer, especially when your body may not be able to absorb it properly.

OP, even the Primal Blueprint advocates an 80/20 approach and details the many benefits of doing so.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    There's really no evidence paleo works, only a lot of testimonials and suggestive science. What I mean is you're presented a case of why grains are bad, or why vegetables or meat is good, but you won't find a study comparing paleo to standard American diet, for instance.

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    Why would someone do that? ConAgra would squash you.

We can't have truth and reason overriding the nutrition of commerce.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

MsSmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    There's really no evidence paleo works, only a lot of testimonials
    Testimonials are data.
    Last edited by MsSmith; 10-01-2013 at 07:58 AM.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Modern studies aren't much better than testimonials. Running proper controls and testing bloodwork in the lab on a high number of subjects is expensive. Much easier and cheaper to re-examine previous data (metastudy) or hand out surveys to a few people.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast