Thread: Here to help my bedridden husband page

horsepal is offline Junior Member

Here to help my bedridden husband

Shop Now
    Hi,

Nearly three years ago multiple doctors, including a very famous "holistic" doctor whose name you'd probably recognize, told my husband he had less than three weeks to live. He had gone from being a robust worker to bedridden with multiple organ crisis, anemia, sleep apnea, very bad blood tests,neurological problems, sudden weight loss (160 lbs to 101 lbs), and bouts of recurring pneumonia. I'm a lifer when it comes to avoiding doctors and drugs so I brought him home from the hospital and began doing whatever I could to give his body what it might be able to use to heal. His problems stem from an exposure to large amounts of liquid and gas ammonia that he breathed in as a 19 year old while shutting off a leak to a refrigeration plant. Everyone else ran the other way while my brave young mate ran (foolishly) in to save the day. He bounced back but has had lung problems off and on. Now in his 50's, and always a hard worker, he just didn't bounce back so good this last time. He looks like a concentration camp victim. We've had some success, though... with a diet of homegrown meat, milk, veggies and fruits and lots of herbal / enzyme supplements. We also began practicing RBTI (Reams Bioligical Theory of Ionization), which has helped him the most of the myriad treatments we have explored from home. But it's remained difficult to get him to gain weight. He's still only at 105 lbs. He has a fighting spirit but I worry about myself as much as him. Being mutually housebound these past years is taking a toll on me, too, at times. I want him well so we can both get back to life and living more fully. That being said, this has been a special time for us... we have grown closer, our faith in God has grown immeasurably and we've confirmed to trust our bodies and our God-given instincts when it comes to choosing a sane form of treatment and care.

I found this forum googling for raw liver recipes. We raised a big healthy grassfed steer here at home. The liver was huge and healthy and I can see some increased energy in my husband since following the recipe I found on one of the forums. Thank you. That made me read further into the website and I decided to join since much of what is practiced and taught we are already in alignment with... but can always use more support and a community, too.
    Last edited by horsepal; 09-30-2013 at 08:08 AM.

PS.... because he is enrolled in VA healthcare we do go to them for updated tests and diagnosis just to see what they can tell us. We typically refuse their treatments because they go after symptoms and not causes. The docs have had multiple diagnosis which we have not always trusted. However, they are now saying chances are that he has Valley Fever and Celiac disease. I removed all gluten but I do give him some grain in the form of certified gluten free oatmeal because it does help keep his weight up and he shows no reaction to it. I'd be willing to drop it if we could get his weight to stabilize or increase without it. Regarding the Valley Fever, they have prescribed a drug which we believe will do more harm than good so we have been experimenting with a number of natural antifungals. Research says they won't really help but the funding of said research comes into question. So these are some of the latest things I'll be looking into for answers.
    Last edited by horsepal; 09-30-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: I can't get it right the first time ;-)

Manda63 is offline Senior Member
    I am so sorry I can't answer anything for you, but I just wanted to say you are a wonderful wife (person), sending you both love & hugs.
    Got my life back September 23rd 2013...Female 5'6"

HW 210lbs
    SW 202lbs
    CW189lbs
    GW140lbs

The best feeling is not feeling depressed

My journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread95382.html

Thank you, Manda. I'm sure I'm doing what any loved one in this position would do if they could. I'm grateful to have this wonderful man in my life and I also know he'd do the same for me if our situation were reversed.

Nice to meet you!

Manda63 is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking you should post this somewhere else on the forum, copy and paste
    Got my life back September 23rd 2013...Female 5'6"

HW 210lbs
    SW 202lbs
    CW189lbs
    GW140lbs

The best feeling is not feeling depressed

My journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread95382.html

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Yes I think many people dont read "meet and greet" regularly.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Have you thought of seeing a Naturopathic Doctor? Particularly one with a specialty in Chinese herbology? I started seeing an ND a few years ago and feel that it saved my life and also returned me to a much stronger level of health. The doc I see encourages a proper diet (and she's on board with the paleo diet once I showed her how truly similar it is to the anti-inflammatory diet she often recommends), rest, exercise, and will often recommend herbal supplements to boost the body's ability to heal. She has treated my food allergies, my thyroid disease (I have Hashi's), my obesity, and my back pain (she's also an acupuncturist).
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Heya and may the gods bless you for for your effort.

I would recommend you increase his calories from fat rather than carbs as he is bed ridden and cant burn the carbs. Coconut oil and fatty cuts of healthy meat will help ramp up the calories while providing more nutrients for the calories. Once he is back on his feet and moving add in the carbs in the form of tubers, carrots etc not oatmeal or grains.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Thank you for the replies. They mean a lot. I'm not able to get to the computer every day so pardon the delay. We have been to Naturopathic doctors, Dee. One came to the house weekly for months, bless her. Also homeopathic, TCM, acupuncture, body workers, and others. We pretty much broke the bank the past few years. That being said, it could also be that we did not find the right practitioner, Dee, like it sounds you did. Very happy for you. My husband is a puzzle to everyone he's seen. They like to experiment with him but don't really get a good read on what to do. The various professionals did usually comfort us and each had something to offer but never got him past this sort of limbo he's been in. We saw the most improvement when we stumbled upon RBTI but it's difficult to find someone who can work with you in person so we do that long distance. Thank you, warmbear, I will look into your suggestion seriously. I've done that in the past but perhaps not with enough fat. His liver has been weak at times so I didn't want to overwork it, although I'm very careful to only give him good fats.

One a good note, he's up a couple pounds from my original post.