Thread: Help! Trying to Bulk! page

Dylan Quek is offline Junior Member

Help! Trying to Bulk!

Primal Fuel
    Hello!

This is my first post. I'm 18 years old and I'm in the phase of bulking. I have some doubts about what to eat without promoting fat storage.

Recently, I came across a website which said that we have to consume more carbohydrates in order for us to grow but I know that carbs heighten insulin levels and promote fat storage and suppresses growth hormones. Any idea of what primal food I can consume without increasing fat storage while bulking?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    The term "bulking" usually means accepting some fat gain in order to promote muscle gain. Your question, in that sense, contradicts itself.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    In your case you need the heightened insulin so you can grow. You are not some fat old Ken Korg with metabolic syndrome. You are a weak skinny kid. Drink your milk.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Dylan,

Stop worrying about your abs. Eat like a man. Lift like a man. Look like a man. Then, if you desire, worry about your abs.

Like Mark Rippetoe says, if you want a six pack, you need an ice chest to put it into first.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Lift heavy and do it consistently, 3 - 4 times per week. Get lots of sleep and drink lots of water. 3,000+ calories per day from paleo foods will do the trick. Try to eat around 1g of protein per pound of lean mass per day.

Carbohydrates do not promote fat storage for people with functional metabolisms who are looking to build muscle. Eat as many as you care for, but avoid ones that put stress on your digestion (namely whole grains and legumes). Fruit, tubers, white rice, maple syrup, raw honey, and coconut sugar are good choices. Don't overdo the sweeteners, but don't be scared to add small amounts for an extra 100 calories here and there.

If budget is an issue, emphasize calorie-dense foods over nutrient-dense foods (i.e. potatoes instead of kale, coconut milk instead of broth, etc.). In this case, make sure you're taking a high-quality multivitamin that includes minerals, and be sure to eat liver/offal once a week or so. Vegetables are amazing, but they are expensive per calorie -- it's important to eat above maintenance calorically if you're trying to gain weight, and if it's a choice between a 5lb bag of potatoes for $5 and two heads of broccoli for the same price, the potatoes will give you more calories for your money.
    Last edited by tarek; 09-30-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks for the informative write-up!

Alright, Thanks!

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Hi, my name is Dylan too (hi five). No reason you can't eat big carbs and proteins for half a week to drive proteins into your muscles. The other half of the week you can eat low carbs with a bit of fasting to stop your body from going crazy on the fat storage. The cool thing is the 3 day break from either eating style doesn't really negatively impact the results of both eating styles.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    I would look into intermittent fasting and do self-experiments. The key is to be scientific and realise that your body responsds differently to others but lifting heavy stuff without cheating and getting enough calories and protein are a given. The frequency and details of feeding and workouts are where you get to experiment. Most guys your age focus too much on lifting for 2 hours 4 times a week and neglect the resting and feeding element.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk