Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Work and Fitness do not match my body page

giantshark18 is offline Junior Member

Blood Work and Fitness do not match my body

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I have been reading Marks blogs, as well as forum posts for almost a year now. I joined the forum because of a continued frustration I am experiencing.

A few statistics.... Age: 31, heigh: 5/9, weight: 158

I feel like I am in much better shape blood work and fitness wise. For example, I do "bootcamp" 4 times a week where we do short, high intensity workouts (burpees, jump rope, sprints, etc.). The bootcamp last about 45 minutes each time. I see guys that look like they should be on an NFL team, or cover of a magazine, and I can keep up with them, or even beat them most times. In addition, I recently had a physical and my blood work was pretty good.

Fasting Sugar: 85
    TL Cholesterol: 180
    LDL: 106
    HDL 63
    Triglycerides: 53

Ok, enough the background. If I showed you a picture of myself, everything would match the info above, except my stomach area. It is very round, pudgy, and I have pretty obvious love handles. I am pretty dedicated to Paleo, never eat grains, bad sugars, hydrogenated oils, etc, and yet, I cannot get rid of this problem area. I have had my cortisol levels checked and it was normal. So I am at a loss and this issue effects me far more than it should. I feel if I put in the work to eat and live healthy, I should look it. I am tired of constantly sucking in my stomach or being self conscious when i take my shirt off.

One last note, I used to weight 255 pounds and never worked out so i was fat with low muscle mass. I am fairly sure it is not just skin I am seeing (at least the love handles).

Does anyone else have a similar story and can give me some pointers on what I can do to lose this last bit of flab?

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Do you eat a lot of Sodium?
    If you do eat more than 2000mg a day it might be that you are retaining fluids in your stomach area. Many people will hold it in their legs or all over the body but it te same with fat. Some people retain it on concentrated areas.
    I'm not sure if that's the issue or not but you might want to try limiting sodium intake for a while and see if it helps.

My second guess is that you might have excess tissue there. Not just skin but connective tissue. You might want to ask your doc to test what it is.

MarkG is offline Junior Member
    if you havent tried yet, intermittent fasting can do a lot for body composition

MarkG is offline Junior Member
    also be patient, a year isnt actually that long in terms of body recomposition goals. Fitness comes faster than body aesthetics. Work hard and be patient, the results will come.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    If you are eating a calorie surplus, it doesn't matter how fit you are, your body won't reflect it.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't think bootcamp 4x a week is going to get you where you want to go. Something like heavy weight lifting 3x a week plus 2x a week of all-out sprinting for (20 seconds on with rest in between).
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't think bootcamp 4x a week is going to get you where you want to go. Something like heavy weight lifting 3x a week plus 2x a week of all-out sprinting for (20 seconds on with rest in between).
    Agreed
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by giantshark18 View Post
    Does anyone else have a similar story and can give me some pointers on what I can do to lose this last bit of flab?
    To bottom-line it - you're too fat - so you have to lose fat.

You can go about it multiple ways. One way is to do a cutting cycle, weightlifting style - hit the barbells hard 3x a week, and run a significant caloric deficit (watch your macros!). Another way is an in-place body recomp - go to a slight caloric deficit while doing a StrongLifts style program plus some solid cardio work (not sprinting - real running/cycling/swimming).

The former path will be quicker, but tougher, the latter easier, but will take longer. Do this for four weeks, and then re-evaluate.

There are other ways, too, but they all share the common components - eat less, work harder.
    Last edited by DeeDub; 09-30-2013 at 10:29 AM.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Start lifting heavy and often - squats, deadlifts, benchpresses, chin-ups, pull-ups, overhead presses. These are the things that will demand lean muscle creation, not jumping jacks and burpees. They're not going to do much of anything.

Eat less fat if you haven't already done do. Remove lots of fat and skew that fat towards protein. If you eat low carbohydrate, stop it. Trade even more fat for carbohydrate. I like about 30% calories from fat, 35-40% calories from protein, 30-35% calories from carbs for body composition.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

giantshark18 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone, but I think i am a bit more confused now. I keep reading about what "Grok" would be doing and I assumed I should avoid unnatural things. Meaning, I doubt Grok laid on his back and pushed boulders up and down just for the heck of it (bench press) or when he killed an animal, said, "I'll lay off the fattening stuff and only eat the lean white meat" (less fat but more protein). Also, my goal is not necessarily to be ripped. I really don't care for how really muscular body builder type guys look (wider necks, humungo thighs, etc.) To be honest, I don't even care if I have defined abs, I just don't want the fat (at least to start) as i have not had a flat stomach since I was 10 years old.

Also, i don't think i can go much lower calories wise. I currently eat an average of about 1300 calories a day, even on workout days, so I thought going any lower would cause starvation mode. My diet may be too low in carbs however, as the only carbs I eat are what I get in fruits an vegetables.

Sorry for all of the info, but here is an example of daily meal routine.

Breakfast-3 egg whites and 2 eggs with spinach, tomatoes, onion, salsa and 1 strip of bacon
    Lunch: Mixed greens Salad with one chicken breast, guacamole, salsa
    Dinner: Two Grilled Chicken Breasts, 40 raw almonds,

For those who say to workout harder, and more often, I must ask, how do you get the energy/motivation? I get up daily at 5 AM for work and do not get home until almost 7 PM, so i must admit, its tough to use the two hours of time for myself for daily workouts. Plus I am engaged to be married and I know she would not be happy if I used that little bit of free time at the gym...

I do think fasting could play a role as I have toyed with it a few times and feel like I get more results from 24 hours of not eating compared to a week of tough workouts and eating light. My problem with this is my family and friends accuse me of starving myself and think I have an eating disorder.

With all this said, i think the best advise might have been from MarkG who said to just give it time. I am currently the leanest and most muscular I have ever been, so perhaps I just need to keep at it (with a few tweaks of course.

Thanks everyone and apologies that the post is so long and jumps around a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast