Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: squats proven harmful, coaches dropping them page

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    But, but, everybody knows that you MUST squat to get larger biceps, so what are we going to do in the squat rack now, since Rip has told us that biceps curls are off-limits...

that's funny

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    But, but, everybody knows that you MUST squat to get larger biceps, so what are we going to do in the squat rack now, since Rip has told us that biceps curls are off-limits...
    you've definitely had one too many plates dropped on your head, haven't you?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I shouldn't feed the Gorbatroll, but the fact is that Rip doesn't prescribe high bar ass-to-grass squats, in part because they involve less musculature and allow less force production, but also for the main reason cited in the article - the high level of shear forces on the knee.

Second fact you'll hate to hear - The Starting Strength book actually teaches a bicep curl. OMG. Is your mind blown?

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    you've definitely had one too many plates dropped on your head, haven't you?
    Cheer up, and get your morning coffee, no reason to be in a catabolic mood post 10 am…

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I shouldn't feed the Gorbatroll, but the fact is that Rip doesn't prescribe high bar ass-to-grass squats, in part because they involve less musculature and allow less force production, but also for the main reason cited in the article - the high level of shear forces on the knee.
    I suspect that the main reason is rather to give neophyte lifters the illusion of progressing for a longer time by being able to put more weight on the bar…

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post

Second fact you'll hate to hear - The Starting Strength book actually teaches a bicep curl. OMG. Is your mind blown?
    I suspect that the main reason is rather to give neophyte lifters the illusion of progressing for a longer time by being able to put more weight on the bar…
    way to go RM. see what you started.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Rippetoe didn't say curls are off limits. Rippetoe advocates chinups over curls for novice level lifters as it builds a better base over a larger group of muscles. To quote him directly:

"So if you want big arms and you've trained through the novice phase when they're growing accidentally anyway, you curl the barbell because it lets you stress the biceps more specifically. "

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Is hamstring recruitment and the stretch-shortening cycle an illusion now? Good to know.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I suspect that the main reason is rather to give neophyte lifters the illusion of progressing for a longer time by being able to put more weight on the bar
    Gorbag, you're just adorable.

(Adorable part underlined)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast