Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: squats proven harmful, coaches dropping them page 7

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Well, one thing both our respective sports agree on is that the only way to find out what you can do is to give it a shot. If you're ever in my neighborhood, we can do some friendly training at the Academy where I train. Maybe we can both learn something new.
    Sure. I have trained all over the world, also been to training camps in eastern europe under the cold war, and I can tell you that we did a lot of ground fighting. Some European judo-clubs that I visited in the early eighties mainly practised ground fighting, so even if judo fights in competition are mostly done in the standing you must have a ground game as well...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    What? Have you not seen those skinny armwrestler champions that can easily beat big weightlifter guys?
    Hmmm.... i wouldn't call Sylvester Stallone skinny though. He was doing those one arm pulls while driving that big rig, so he was putting in some lifting time. Plus armwrestling prowess is most heavily associated with ones ability to "flip the switch". Thats accomplished by putting the ballcap on backwards....a high level maneuver that only the elite can master.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Sure. I have trained all over the world, also been to training camps in eastern europe under the cold war, and I can tell you that we did a lot of ground fighting. Some European judo-clubs that I visited in the early eighties mainly practised ground fighting, so even if judo fights in competition are mostly done in the standing you must have a ground game as well...
    I'm not disputing any of that. Just saying it could be fun to roll around sometime if one of us is in the other's area. If you can out-newaza me, I'll be very impressed and shake your hand and thank you for it. My instructor was actually a competitive judoka in Europe before he met up with Rickson and Royler Gracie and began spending 6 months of every year training Jiu Jitsu in Rio De Janeiro, which he continued until he earned his black belt. I have nothing but respect for Judo and have attended a semi-local Judo camp with past and future Olympians many times.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    I'm kind of tired of hearing this "reach your genetic limit" silliness. Who has ever reached their genetic limit? Do you know anyone that has? I don't.

There is no "genetic limit". There is a genetic curve, i.e. the rate of adaptation. A genetically gifted athlete can progress further and faster, whereas a genetically poor athlete will progress much slower and not nearly as far. However, both can make progress indefinitely, just at very different rates. No one ever just reaches a "limit", it just becomes increasing hard to make progress.
    I reached my genetic limit once. I actually rebooted back into a zygote. First grade was tough enough. Try going through it twice.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Sound good Rich! Basically there is not that much difference between judo and BJJ, the main difference is in competition basically, and the ground fighting is quite similar though! Some judo systems like the Kawaishi system even includes leg locks and neck dislocations in addition to the chokes, strangles and elbow joint-locks...

Sound good Rich! Basically there is not that much difference between judo and BJJ, the main difference is in competition basically, and the ground fighting is quite similar though!
    Yeah, for once we agree completely.

I am pretty sure that I would beat all three of you, Rich, quikky and notontherug in a line-up grappling match anytime...
    Well since this is becoming a dick measuring contest now... I'm sure you could out grapple me too. I don't grapple. I throw punches. In bunches. I'm pretty sure I could hold my own. But you need to put some reasonable shorts on first.

I'd love to learn some judo though. Great skills to have. Great foundation stuff

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Well since this is becoming a dick measuring contest now... I'm sure you could out grapple me too. I don't grapple. I throw punches. In bunches. I'm pretty sure I could hold my own. But you need to put some reasonable shorts on first.

I'd love to learn some judo though. Great skills to have. Great foundation stuff
    I can teach you a halfway passable version of ippon seionage, harai goshi, uchi mata, tai otoshi, and ouchi gari some time. I'll bring a couple gi's next time I'm out in your neck of the woods if you want.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    "Loud noises!!!"

Brick Tamland.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    "Loud noises!!!"

Brick Tamland.
    I love lamp.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast