Thread: Anyone elso feel like the middle child? page

VetTech is offline Junior Member

Anyone elso feel like the middle child?

Primal Fuel
    Anyone else feel like the proverbial "middle child"? Always there but sorta in the background watching everyone else get the attention. The one that doesn't have any real food allergies or sensitivities, no health issues what so ever really. That's how I'm sorta felling lately, I don't really know why. I have been primal on and off for two years, I've been putting a little more effort in this year. I feel healthier than ever but there is still something not quite right. I've tried going dairy free, didn't make much of a difference. I've tried avoiding nightshades, didn't do much. I've tried avoiding FODMAP's. I've tried the blood type diet, but I am a B, so it said to avoid coconut and avocados.......screw that! The only thing that has made much of a difference is going 100% grain and sugar free, but I have trouble doing that 100% of the time. I haven't lost much weight, 56 pounds over two years (still have 30 to go). I lift twice a week, and cardio of some type once a week (sometimes sprinting, sometimes not). My energy just isn't what I feel like it should be. Sorry, I'm throwin me a pity party, no need to over analyze, just looking for some empathy I guess!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Have you had your hormone levels checked? I kept thinking that I was sort of low energy and that things weren't quite right, turns out I have Hashimoto's (hypothyroid) and all my hormones are tanked. If you haven't had a complete blood panel done lately I would recommend it.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    First, 56 pounds in two years doesn't suck. You could lose the last 30 by April at that rate. A whole lot better than folks who lose 100 pounds in six months only to put it all back on in a year.

But no, I've never felt like the middle child. I was a first born. I feel like someone put an anal probe in me at birth, and someone has been commenting on my successes and failures since then. We all have our crosses, from being ignored because we aren't first or last, to being singled out as first or last to fulfill the dreams our parents/relatives didn't fulfill for themselves. The only solution for me is to live >2000 miles away from family which is kind of a drag since I really like the East Coast.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Have you had your hormone levels checked? I kept thinking that I was sort of low energy and that things weren't quite right, turns out I have Hashimoto's (hypothyroid) and all my hormones are tanked. If you haven't had a complete blood panel done lately I would recommend it.
    Agreed. OP, I felt like you, but in the end, I did end up having problems. I have leaky gut/IBS now, which developed AFTER going primal, but I know I had gut problems before.

But I *am* a middle child so...
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Agreed. OP, I felt like you, but in the end, I did end up having problems. I have leaky gut/IBS now, which developed AFTER going primal, but I know I had gut problems before.

But I *am* a middle child so...
    I've been wondering about my guts, any more one non-primal meal and I'm gummed up for days!

I did have complete blood work done three years age, after my youngest was born. Everything came back normal, although that was before I went primal. Maybe it's time to have it done again!

Ah if you are having that kind of digestive response to non-primal foods (and it's important to look at specifically WHAT foods cause this for you), then that is probably the source of your problems. The Specific Carbohydrate Diet is helping me pinpoint what foods in particular are problematic and help me stay strict primal for healing.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Ah if you are having that kind of digestive response to non-primal foods (and it's important to look at specifically WHAT foods cause this for you), then that is probably the source of your problems. The Specific Carbohydrate Diet is helping me pinpoint what foods in particular are problematic and help me stay strict primal for healing.
    When I think of IBS or Chron's or even celiac, I think of diarrhea, cramps and that sorta thing. Which I've never had a problem with, I have the opposite problem. I have, for as long as I can remember, never been "regular". Only when I go strict primal for a period of time with lots of veggies do I notice a difference. But with my life I find it very difficult to keep up on. Sometimes I wish I had some type of food allergy, just so I had an excuse to tell people why I am avoiding certain foods, to avoid the "look" lol

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VetTech View Post
    When I think of IBS or Chron's or even celiac, I think of diarrhea, cramps and that sorta thing. Which I've never had a problem with, I have the opposite problem. I have, for as long as I can remember, never been "regular". Only when I go strict primal for a period of time with lots of veggies do I notice a difference. But with my life I find it very difficult to keep up on. Sometimes I wish I had some type of food allergy, just so I had an excuse to tell people why I am avoiding certain foods, to avoid the "look" lol
    I never had diarrhea or cramps, I had what I think of as "sluggish" digestion. Constipation, inability to lose weight, depression and low energy all can be symptoms of low thyroid. Get a complete blood panel, you may have an underlying metabolic issue.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I never had diarrhea or cramps, I had what I think of as "sluggish" digestion. Constipation, inability to lose weight, depression and low energy all can be symptoms of low thyroid. Get a complete blood panel, you may have an underlying metabolic issue.
    IBS also comes in the variety of "sluggish" digestion. It's really just an catch-all term for inflammation of the gut which results in bowel function disruption (constipation or diarrhea, or otherwise non-ideal bowel function).

I'm primarily constipated, but when I get the constipation eased up, I find that some foods cause diarrhea.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you don't have any problems...I think you should consider yourself lucky. Slow and steady is the way to do it, and if you're not satisfied with your progress, why not change some things? Work out differently, tweak your macros. You sound like you're doing just fine so far.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."