Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kombucha page

msjamiejo is offline Junior Member

Question Kombucha

Shop Now
    I'm hoping that drinking Kombucha is okay because I think I could probably live on it alone. If it's not ok then that will be the one thing I allow myself BUT... the recipe calls for sugar to feed the SCOBE. What is the best sugar to use in this instance? What is the least evil of the sugars? I have been leaning towards cane sugar because it's not as processed but haven't been able to find out if that is a better choice or not. Anyone know?

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    A majority of the sugar is eaten up and turned to amino acids by the SCOBY during the fermentation process (especially if you like a bitter brew and let it ferment for a longer period of time, which is what I do). Cane sugar works just fine and is perfect for it. Enjoy your kombucha, it's a healthy drink!

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    +1 I love the stuff, and it's my favorite way to get probiotics! I've heard from some sources that you can make it with just about any sugar substance including maple syrup, while others say that white sugar is the best food for it. The only one I've heard consistently not to use is honey, because of its antimicrobial properties that tend to kill the SCOBY.

Here's a great article and how I brew:
    http://www.westonaprice.org/food-fea...-kombucha.html

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I brew my own and recently started putting black cherry juice (the real stuff) in the bottle for a 2nd ferment. Delicious! It's a treat for me, one every few days usually. It's like a soda/beer replacement in my house. I just use white sugar for the initial ferment.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I brew my own and recently started putting black cherry juice (the real stuff) in the bottle for a 2nd ferment. Delicious! It's a treat for me, one every few days usually. It's like a soda/beer replacement in my house. I just use white sugar for the initial ferment.
    i would like to order a few mason jars of this for pick up in august. how much $$$? oohhhh your pickled eggs too. You should have a primal market for the boar roast.

Oh shoot, I hadn't thought of that. I should make a bunch for boarfest!

Lemme see what it would cost me, and I'll let ya know.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    would anyone in this thread who has SCOBY's be willing to donate one to me? I've tried getting one off of the lists that I've found but all the emails that I've contacted seem to be defunct.

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    Ditto, I've been seriously thinking about making this stuff myself but never had a started scoby... where can I get one of quality? Any recommendations for educational resources for a newb?

I sell them on my blog (to raise money for some surgery I'm saving for.) I'm asking $10

You can get one by buying a bottle of kombucha and letting it set at room temperature for a few days to a week. The mango flavor actually made a very nice scoby. It'll be small, but it will work.

Paloma is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lecz0r View Post
    Ditto, I've been seriously thinking about making this stuff myself but never had a started scoby... where can I get one of quality? Any recommendations for educational resources for a newb?
    Hey homie, I usually have one going, right now it's a little iffy 'cause I think I overheated it - but if it survives, I'll give ya the next baby. If u hear of another Seattle source, let me know, I'd like a freshie.
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    ~ Thomas Alva Edison

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast