Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need all three? or more? Blending/blenders/beaters Oh my! page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Do I need all three? or more? Blending/blenders/beaters Oh my!

Primal Fuel
    I think a blender is a necessity. So my question is, once I have a blender, do I need a hand mixer and a stick blender? I'm happy to have all three, I just wonder if each has a specific thing in which it excels.

If I do need all three, do I also need (a) manual whisk(s)?

Thanks in advance for any input, hints, tips, etc.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Joanie, I have all of the above. I've had my blender for over 15 years (it's a Waring commercial drink maker...margaritas anyone?), and my Breville immersion blender is a fairly new purchase. I bought it specifically to make mayo, but I use it for many things now. I love pureeing soups with it or to mash steamed cauli for shepherds pie. It really depends what you are cooking as to which tool is the most useful. I would say my blender is the least used, but when I need it, I am glad I have it. I like an occasional bp coffee, I use it when I make the copycat Whole Foods recipe for garlicky kale salad, but my cuisinart may have worked for that. Yes on the hand whisks..I would miss those. Seriously..you could run a restaurant out of my kitchen.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    See...and see..and that is just my kitchen storage.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

photocat is offline Member
    I have all three but only used the stick blender a couple of times -- both for failed mayo. I find stick blenders worthless. My blender is a Vitamix so if I ever wanted to make soup, I'd use it (though I don't actually eat soup at all -- unless I'm recovering from being sick, which is rare) Hand mixer is very different than the blender / stick blender and very useful in all other situations (I use it a lot with the dough hooks when I make almond flour pizza crust).

For what it is worth, I do not have a food processor. I find I can pretty much do whatever I need to either with my knife, mandolin, or the Vitamix. Tonight I made cauliflower rice in the Vitamix (most will instruct you to use a food processor) -- awesomely easy.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I think stick blenders & stand blenders can be used for the same thing, though one may be simpler than the other in different situations. A hand mixer can be used for thicker stuff, I think. I also do not have a food processor and make due with my Ninja Pro blender. I'm thinking a stick blender will make mixing soups a lot easier though, instead of pouring the broth & veggies into the blender & then into a bowl so I can refill the pitcher & do it all again etc..
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I think a blender is a necessity. So my question is, once I have a blender, do I need a hand mixer and a stick blender? I'm happy to have all three, I just wonder if each has a specific thing in which it excels.

If I do need all three, do I also need (a) manual whisk(s)?

Thanks in advance for any input, hints, tips, etc.
    What kinds of things do you make? I use:
    * my blender for making smoothies or coconut milk from scratch (things with lots of liquid);
    *my handmixer for baking (creaming butter and sugar (not so much since primal) and whisking (eggs, with whisk attachment), or whipping (cream);
    *food processor for everything else (cauli rice; mashed cauli; nut meals; homemade larabars;pastry (mixing fat and flour); shredding cabbage, cheese or potatoes; grinding liver to add to meatballs; making pesto, sauces, nut butters...
    *manual whisk when I don't want to haul out and dirty up an appliance just to beat some eggs.

I suspect I could replace the functions of the blender and the handmixer with my food processor. From what I've read, a high-powered blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec could replace my food processor.

I don't own a stick blender, but imagine I would use it for creamy soups. Since I make those soups infrequently, and already have the other appliances, I simply use my blender (very carefully so as not to blow the top off) or food processor for soups.

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    I vote for all three as they have separate uses. My stick blender has several different heads so I can use for many purposes including small amounts whipped cream. Mayo is easier to make in my blender as is pâté. I don't use my mixer that often anymore, just when I am entertaining and need to make larger amounts of foods. If I could only only keep one, it would be my stick blender with all the attachments. I love being able to purée liquids without worrying about pouring it into my blender.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Thank you! You all are awesome! I've made a commitment to stop bitching about N'Orleans and give it a couple more years. That means fleshing out my kitchen. So an Amazon order is in the cards for tomorrow. I'll replace the blender that died, get a hand and stick blender, and get a set of whisks. I'm also getting a much needed pair of tongs and a little rolling pin.

Hopefully soon, I'll be making GF olive oil bread and have a better success rate on mayonnaise. Generally, I'm that person of whom people say things like, "How the hell did you make that with so few tools?" but I'm all for having the right tool for the right job. Shopping online is fun, and there are no smelly people around.

Thanks again!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    This is similar to my stick blender. I love the little chopper because it is great for making small amounts of rubs, marinades, herb blends and dressings.

CSB-79 - Cuisinart® Smart Stick® 2-Speed Hand Blender - Hand Blenders - Products - Cuisinart.com

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    I hate clutter and try to be as minimalist as I can. Still, a blender, immersion blender, food processor, and hand mixer are must haves in my kitchen. I simply couldn't do without all of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast