Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The metabolic advantage hypothesis page

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member

The metabolic advantage hypothesis

Primal Fuel
    You know what I find strange beyond belief is the "new" metabolic advantage hypothesis being played out on these boards.

Go back a couple of years and we have posters that rail away about metabolic ward studies proving that its all about calories, regardless where those calories come from. This was in opposition to the "metabolic advantage" purported by low carb and ketogenic diet advocates. Some studies did seem to indicate an advantage to low carb dieting, but where not as tightly controlled.

Fast forward a couple of years and look at this board to see people claiming a high carb provides some "metabolic advantage" for weight loss. Did those metabolic ward studies all the sudden disappear? Did some sort of new study I have yet to see prove that high carb reduces weight gain? Are we back to the magic macro hypothesis?

Just wondering. I like to keep up with the pop culture on MDA and all

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Isn't it actually a metabolic disadvantage, you know, from a survival standpoint?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Timthetaco Guest
    I just see more people acknowledging the thermic effect of food, which is going to be higher on a higher carb, high protein, low fat diet than a high fat, higher protein, low carb diet. But if it makes you feel any better...

If memory serves, the low carb metabolic advantage has more to do with beta oxidation being more efficient somehow, but it's been a while.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    The really metabolic "advantage" - or thermogenic effect of foods - comes from protein as a clear number one, then carbs second, and fat with the least advantage. Going into ketosis can give an advantage of less hunger, but that's hardly a metabolic advantage as such. Fatty foods can also slow down digestion a lot...

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Fast digestion frees up a lot of vital energy is my n=1

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I know this sort of data excites people but unfortunately even the best study is going to suffer from the same curse of brief timelines that can't account for homeostatic ripples over the subsequent days or weeks, a la virtually all nutrition research and advice. Does my body heat up after 1000 kcal of cinema snacks? Maybe. Is that a good thing? Who knows.
    35//6'3"/180

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    Fast digestion frees up a lot of vital energy is my n=1
    You are not alone about that, no much energy for physical activities for many hours after a large fatty meal here, so n=2...

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Actually the one metabolic advantage that I believe is proven over and over is that of resistance training with sufficient effort/intensity. It elicits both short term metabolic effect...increased insulin sensitivity and improved energy partitioning, and long term effect... it takes thousands of increased calories to remodel or build lean mass following the episode... more lean mass then has its own metabolic advantages.

Ketosis could carry a small metabolic advantage associated with the creation of ketones. It takes extra energy to cleave and make the buggers after all. I mean if your stance is that beta-oxidation is more efficient, seems illogical to suppose that you can eat MORE calories with a mode of energy that is more efficient. See the problem there? Only thing that makes sense is the ketone angle.

The carbs and thermogenic effect thing sounds plausable, but does it play out in those metabolic ward studies everyone is so fond of that way?

As to "quick" energy.... well yeah there is that I suppose. I mean meat (protein and fat) is kinda quick considering it doesn't have to go all the way to the colon and be fermented for up to 24 hrs . I just eat a couple times a day rather than every few hours and that frees up plenty of time to access my stores of energy though. That would be my N = 1.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-29-2013 at 03:41 PM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    My n=1: eat like warrior; look like warrior. Eat like rabbit; look like rabbit. :::grunt::: I will now go discover fire.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Either way, the "metabolic advantage" is so small to be insignificant when all factors are controlled.

Carbs are still > fats tho
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast