Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The metabolic advantage hypothesis page 9

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I'm not really up for this debate, and don't have any real interest in it, just an observation:

I don't seem to be capable of eating enough food to make my abs go away. Even averaging 5,000+ calories/day for extended periods doesn't do it. So something happens there. I just don't know what. Yes, I'm a lucky bastard. My metabolism is the Seal Team Six of metabolisms or something.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I'm not really up for this debate, and don't have any real interest in it, just an observation:

I don't seem to be capable of eating enough food to make my abs go away. Even averaging 5,000+ calories/day for extended periods doesn't do it. So something happens there. I just don't know what. Yes, I'm a lucky bastard. My metabolism is the Seal Team Six of metabolisms or something.
    Do you turn the excess into heat?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Do you turn the excess into heat?
    I don't know. I do know that women basically use me as a heat rock, though.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

You date lizards?

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

You date lizards?
    That's actually a much nicer way to describe a couple of exes than I would use. :-)

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Indeed!

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You know, I just thought Chaco was finally being reasonable and realizing that certain diets give you a little appetite suppression which helps you reduce your calories and lose weight. Because CICO and all.

But no, he's twisted it all up in some kind of lunacy that your appetite has gone down because your metabolism has slowed to a crawl. I can't understand then why so many people are enjoying the appetite suppression of low carb, high fat Primal or high protein, low fat Paleo and losing weight. It shouldn't work according to him.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You know, I just thought Chaco was finally being reasonable and realizing that certain diets give you a little appetite suppression which helps you reduce your calories and lose weight. Because CICO and all.

But no, he's twisted it all up in some kind of lunacy that your appetite has gone down because your metabolism has slowed to a crawl. I can't understand then why so many people are enjoying the appetite suppression of low carb, high fat Primal or high protein, low fat Paleo and losing weight. It shouldn't work according to him.
    the body protectively slows the metabolism during those times to prolong survival since the body consumes itself during such times. Your appetite suppression is your metabolism slowing down, if not, you'd starve to death, since your body is expecting x amounts of calories and x amounts of carbohydrates to fuel itself. It's effective short term, if you're actually starving, but it's not exactly a desirable long term weight loss plan since as soon as you start eating more food, you will likely balloon up since that's exactly what your body wants. 2 months on low carb, I couldn't eat more than 1.5k calories a day(I'm 6'3), dropped to 130lbs, but was sick as a dog -- and as soon as I started eating actual palatable food, I overate as a natural mechanism(I felt like I was starving) and immediately gained nearly 40lbs in a short time.
    nihil

the body protectively slows the metabolism during those times to prolong survival since the body consumes itself during such times. Your appetite suppression is your metabolism slowing down, if not, you'd starve to death, since your body is expecting x amounts of calories and x amounts of carbohydrates to fuel itself. It's effective short term, if you're actually starving, but it's not exactly a desirable long term weight loss plan since as soon as you start eating more food, you will likely balloon up since that's exactly what your body wants. 2 months on low carb, I couldn't eat more than 1.5k calories a day(I'm 6'3), dropped to 130lbs, but was sick as a dog -- and as soon as I started eating actual palatable food, I overate as a natural mechanism(I felt like I was starving) and immediately gained nearly 40lbs in a short time.
    And you know what? You're not the only person for whom this is true. Whether there is a genetic component or some part of the diet was incomplete, or maybe you didn't move enough to get hungry enough - I don't know. It might be that you are an ectomorph. It might be that I took an antibiotic at some point and the gut flora I grew back are completely whack. We just don't know enough, except that I am at a very healthy body composition for both strength and longevity, and my hair is thick and full, and I sleep great on very low carb (~50g) while eating about 2000 calories a day of the most affordable and nutrient dense foods I can get, including organ meats and seaweed, eggs, etc. I DO love feeling bloated, stuffed and overfed after my daily feast, that might be the key.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And you know what? You're not the only person for whom this is true. Whether there is a genetic component or some part of the diet was incomplete, or maybe you didn't move enough to get hungry enough - I don't know. It might be that you are an ectomorph. It might be that I took an antibiotic at some point and the gut flora I grew back are completely whack. We just don't know enough, except that I am at a very healthy body composition for both strength and longevity, and my hair is thick and full, and I sleep great on very low carb (~50g) while eating about 2000 calories a day of the most affordable and nutrient dense foods I can get, including organ meats and seaweed, eggs, etc. I DO love feeling bloated, stuffed and overfed after my daily feast, that might be the key.
    see dude? you eat 2k calories and are pretty active and weigh more than me. i eat 3.5k+ to maintain at 150lbs while being sedentary on most days. wouldn't this be a difference in metabolisms, ie; yours has slowed down to accommodate your way of eating? the exact point that i believe choco was inferring. thermic effect of food plays an important physiological role of daily energy expenditure, and thus the amount of calories you need to ingest and the nutrients you need to ingest become greater with higher body temperature.
    nihil

Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast