Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The metabolic advantage hypothesis page 6

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    But doesn't being hungry present a dieter with a disadvantage? And doesn't lack of hunger present a dieter with an advantage?
    Not necessarily. If the hunger is scaled to the metabolic increase, it's a wash. People who eat high carb diets tend to have faster metabolisms than people who eat low carb diets, so you have to eat more to maintain your weight. Keto presents a substantial disadvantage because it is less protectant of lean mass than diets rich in carbohydrate, so if you are dieting, you are more likely to lose lean mass and preserve fat when on keto. Study after study shows the best lean mass retention when on a caloric deficit is on a high protein diet where carbohydrate and fat are balanced. Skew too far in one direction and lean mass suffers. When trying to gain weight, study after study shows a high protein diet with a lower fat/higher carb approach produces the best lean mass gains with the least fat mass gains. I have never seen any study where a high fat diets comes on top for...anything. Not saying it doesn't exist, but the facts are stacked against fat.

Hunger is a metabolic process and fighting it with willpower is not a viable strategy for many people. Fighting it with an automatic physiological response seems like a winning strategy to me.
    Protein is generally the driving factor in hunger. Are you hungry? Eat more protein and less of everything else while maintaining calories.

This has been my experience. A low carb diet gave me the hunger suppression that allowed me to reduce calories. It was a huge relief and almost magical in how relatively easy it was to eat so little.
    See, I'd argue it was a higher protein diet that did that.

Then I began strength training and HIIT and switched over to a higher carb, higher protein, low fat primal diet. I eat manly portions and I get very hungry, but I do not get fat because of the kind of training I do.
    It's the lifting that makes you hungry. On my deload weeks there is a noticeable drop in hunger. It's like clockwork.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    No, it all has to be done in the context of Choco and where he is on HIS journey.
    I comment in threads where people are having trouble, not threads where people are doing well. Please find a post where I told someone to quit doing something that was working for them. It just happens to be that on Mark's Daily Apple, the people struggling or going backwards tend to be making the same mistakes.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I comment in threads where people are having trouble, not threads where people are doing well. Please find a post where I told someone to quit doing something that was working for them. It just happens to be that on Mark's Daily Apple, the people struggling or going backwards tend to be making the same mistakes.
    Which can all ONLY be addressed by doing things exactly as you do them.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Which can all ONLY be addressed by doing things exactly as you do them.
    I contacted Choco for advice a while back and that was not my experience at all.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    I contacted Choco for advice a while back and that was not my experience at all.
    Your mileage may vary.

let's get one thing clear: I don't ask questions on MDA. That's not why I come here. I come here to answer questions people have. Whether or not you listen to me is of no consequence to me. You have absolutely nothing to offer me. If you don't want my advice, don't take it.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Your mileage may vary.
    I'm flattered you find me important enough to have me in your browser bookmarks

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Protein is generally the driving factor in hunger.
    Whatever particular macro is the driving factor in hunger, what you are saying is that some kind of macro ratio gives the dieter an advantage by quelling hunger, making it easier to eat less. I say hunger suppression provides an advantage to the dieter, and since hunger is a metabolic process, it provides a metabolic advantage.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Whatever particular macro is the driving factor in hunger, what you are saying is that some kind of macro ratio gives the dieter an advantage by quelling hunger, making it easier to eat less. I say hunger suppression provides an advantage to the dieter, and since hunger is a metabolic process, it provides a metabolic advantage.
    And different macro ratios have different burn rates. It doesn't matter if the diet suppresses hunger if the slowing of the metabolism is equal or greater than the hunger suppression. That's usually what happens when carbs are dropped too low.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Provide some evidence that the metabolism slows greater than one's hunger on any kind of diet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Provide some evidence that the metabolism slows greater than one's hunger on any kind of diet.
    Are you seriously arguing the thermic effect of food?

Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast