Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The metabolic advantage hypothesis page 3

Zach is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    The only people who seem to be able to maintain very low bodyfat percents are people who have been lean their entire lives. Once someone creates the fat stores, i think its very hard to keep them empty. I think its possible with the right diet, but it might not be worth it if you body is fighting you. Much better to be in a healthy metabolic state and carry around 10-15% bodyfat then be in a constant energy deficit to walk around at 5-9% all year. Eventually the body will win and you will balloon. Same with using chronic exercise to achieve this, you wont be able to keep it up forever.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Much better to be in a healthy metabolic state and carry around 10-15% bodyfat then be in a constant energy deficit to walk around at 5-9% all year. Eventually the body will win and you will balloon. Same with using chronic exercise to achieve this, you wont be able to keep it up forever.
    What? Why can't we all walk around like the guy in the video below, why must it be so difficult;

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    The only people who seem to be able to maintain very low bodyfat percents are people who have been lean their entire lives. Once someone creates the fat stores, i think its very hard to keep them empty. I think its possible with the right diet, but it might not be worth it if you body is fighting you. Much better to be in a healthy metabolic state and carry around 10-15% bodyfat then be in a constant energy deficit to walk around at 5-9% all year. Eventually the body will win and you will balloon. Same with using chronic exercise to achieve this, you wont be able to keep it up forever.
    Adipocyte turnover is something like 10% annually, meaning it could take years or even a decade of maintaining a significantly leaner physique for that to be established as the "new norm." That's also why people tend to bail on diets so quickly because it immediately doesn't show benefits. It takes YEARS of strict diet adherence for your body to recycle the fat cells holding onto toxins. For example, if you are hypothyroid due to years of high intakes of polyunsaturated fats, it will take up to a DECADE of a low polyunsaturated fat diet for you to cleanse those damaged cells from your body. Realistically, I've been paleo-ish for 3 years, but only specifically lower PUFA for about a year. And I am SLOWLY dropping my setpoint. 142-145 lbs seems to be my normal now, and it used to be about 10 lbs more when I ate considerably more fat and less carbs but still paleo (and I couldn't lift nearly as much as I can now!)...but it is a slow, slow road. People need to learn adherence and patience. Hell, I had bumps under my triceps MY ENTIRE LIFE - little tiny red patches - and they just went away about 6 months ago. It took over 2 years of grain and vegetable oil avoidance for my skin to clear up sufficiently, and I started this lifestyle at the baby age of 24. Can you imagine someone beginning at 40? Or 50? With a slower adipocyte turnover and decades more of toxins in their bodies?

It is a slow road, folks, and it is important to be diligent.

I wonder is something like the new "cool sculpting" procedures are a faster workout for the adipocyte turnover issue since the procedure kills the fat cells. Even if the body replaces the fat cells, you could technically replace "pre-paleo" adipocytes with "post-paleo" adipocytes, giving the fat cells a much lower composition of PUFA. This could potentially lead to a faster metabolic rate.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Zach is offline Banned
    Super interesting stuff, i was thinking about this as well. I would be really interested to see a kid grow up on a Peat type diet. I would do this with my son but its almost impossible to regulate food sources from everywhere and im such a pushover.

One thing that i think about a lot is the disconnect between someone who was born healthy and eating their natural diet and someone who was born comprimised and adopting a "natural diet". The former will be able to thrive on that diet while others with compromised metabolisms will never be able to acclimate to. This is why a paleo or whole foods diet does not work wonders for some. Coming at it from a viewpoint of rebuilding health and slowing stress/aging is a much smarter option. Like above with limiting PUFA to bare minimums for years so that the body has time to cycle it out in favor of better fats. And obviously with extreme emphasis on hormonal, digestion and metabolic function which all overlap. Just telling people to eat natural foods (meat and veggies) is not enough to return to baseline health, especially in those who have been compromised since birth or before.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    What? Why can't we all walk around like the guy in the video below, why must it be so difficult;
    That's disgusting.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Super interesting stuff, i was thinking about this as well. I would be really interested to see a kid grow up on a Peat type diet. I would do this with my son but its almost impossible to regulate food sources from everywhere and im such a pushover.

One thing that i think about a lot is the disconnect between someone who was born healthy and eating their natural diet and someone who was born comprimised and adopting a "natural diet". The former will be able to thrive on that diet while others with compromised metabolisms will never be able to acclimate to. This is why a paleo or whole foods diet does not work wonders for some. Coming at it from a viewpoint of rebuilding health and slowing stress/aging is a much smarter option. Like above with limiting PUFA to bare minimums for years so that the body has time to cycle it out in favor of better fats. And obviously with extreme emphasis on hormonal, digestion and metabolic function which all overlap. Just telling people to eat natural foods (meat and veggies) is not enough to return to baseline health, especially in those who have been compromised since birth or before.
    I would estimate it would be a lot like traditional cultures in the South Pacific where the majority of their calories come from starchy tubers, fruits, coconut and very lean white fish. The fats in their diet are almost entirely saturated due to the animal sources being so very lean, so they're basically existing on sugars, starches and MCT's. They tend to be extremely lean.

I imagine someone who has the foundation of a very stable fatty acid structure are more resistant to the inflammatory effects of grains. I imagine a person who grew up on red meat and coconut are far less likely to have food allergies and lactose/gluten intolerance due to a strong gut lining that resists leakage. My opinion.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I would estimate it would be a lot like traditional cultures in the South Pacific where the majority of their calories come from starchy tubers, fruits, coconut and very lean white fish.
    The public health chapter in Jared Diamond's World Until Yesterday describes how beer bellies went from nearly 0% to universal in Papua New Guinea over 30 years. Taro and sago are somewhat stigmatized as rural bumpkin fodder in favor of anything with an English label...
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Hell, I had bumps under my triceps MY ENTIRE LIFE - little tiny red patches - and they just went away about 6 months ago. It took over 2 years of grain and vegetable oil avoidance for my skin to clear up sufficiently, and I started this lifestyle at the baby age of 24.
    Oh, is that what those were? I've always had these, although my face has always been as smooth as a baby's butt. I still have them, and have avoided GMO's and PUFA's, for the most part, for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Oh, is that what those were? I've always had these, although my face has always been as smooth as a baby's butt. I still have them, and have avoided GMO's and PUFA's, for the most part, for 2 years.
    I once heard they are caused by vitamin A and E deficiencies. Of course, a vitamin E deficiency generally signals too much PUFA in the tissue - the higher your SFA:PUFA ratio, the less vitamin E you need. Like anything else, the cause could be multifaceted. Whatever the cause, it is due to too much of something bad, not enough of something good or a mixture of both!

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    On thing I think people need to accept is that "abs lean" is not the norm. It just isn't going to be able to be maintained by 90+% of us. Even contest dieters who cut to absolutely obscene levels of body fat that allow you to see every striation of the human body do so over 12 weeks. They're not "ripped" the other 40 weeks out of the year. They tend to carry the "12% body fat pooch" - you can make out your abs when you flex and have fat around the belly button unflexed. You'll have a little jiggle when you run. That's normal and that's healthy.

If you look how body builders cut, though, the first thing to go is fat. They generally eat on the order of ~40-50% protein, around 20% fat with the other 30-40% carbohydrate, bulked before and after their workouts. Calories are often averaging a 20-25% deficit. You can mentally get by eating that way when you know you only have to do it for 2-3 months and it's over for the rest of the year, but to do that all the time to maintain a very lean physique is just ridiculous. I learned a long time ago that I will bounce between 11-15% off and on. That's just how it goes for me. Could I cut lower? Yea, but the diet monotony isn't worth the mental stress to see minor physical changes. It isn't worth taking chocolate, ice cream, alcohol and great cuts of steak completely out of my diet.
    Amen.
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast