Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: The metabolic advantage hypothesis page 29

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    (Unfortunately?) evolution favors conservation. It's only recently that subtracting energy could be an advantage. Persuading the hypothalamus to peacefully accept a smaller adipose layer is not as simple as taking an axe to calories. My hunch is there's a lot more to study about leptin and ghrelin defects but in the meantime whole food is a solid guideline.
    x1
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

manimal is offline Junior Member

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    It's always extremes. Demonizing fat for 40 years, now it'll be carbs. They're making the connection that saturated fats are good, but swinging so far to the extreme that it means EVERYONE should only be eating fat. "CREAM AND BACON!!!" the sensationalist headline starts.

Put the percentage of macros however you'd want, but qualify the types of carbs and the types of fats you're eating.

I'd call myself HCLF, but the fats I do still eat are saturated.

mikekola is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    That's not true at all. There are millions of skinny people with Type 2 Diabetes. In fact, a side effect of Type 2 Diabetes is weight loss. People get there due to a failure of their primary metabolism - glucose oxidation - when a person with Type 2 Diabetes eats carbohydrate, they continue to burn free fatty acids instead of glucose. They function like a low-carber 100% of the time even when eating lots of carbs. That's the problem - they can't get the sugar out of their bloodstream by oxidizing it as necessary.

I believe this occurs for the reasons I outlined previously - too many unhealthy fats causing insulin resistance and turning them into "fat burning beasts" at all times, even when they should be burning glucose! If it were a problem caused by carbohydrate intake overtime, then meat would be an even bigger issue because it would wear out your pancreas even faster by chronic production of insulin and glucagon. The worst thing for us to eat would be muscle meat if we follow your logic.
    Another weird explanation with no evidence backing it. Again- let me debunk it, similar as in the "thin Europeans" thread

You seem to be missing a fact that developing T2 Diabetes is a long long process. It may take years to be finally "diagnosed", and the diagnosis is- at least here in Poland- made solely on FBG results. I've heard of diabetologists who woud diagnose you with T2 with just 3 independent FBG measurements. HBA1C and oral glucose tests would follow to see how deep you are into the disease. Sometimes it takes years to even notice it, as people seem to be perfectly healthy and don't go to doctors. Unlike the US, nobody encourages you to have your yearly health check-ups, but I'm making digression here.

Let's see how T2 progresses: it's usually manifested by higher and higher BG levels, but the cause is the increase in insulin resistance- to compensate, more and more insulin is produced, until your beta cells have enough and can't produce more. What you do is give a patient an insulin dose, and boom, he can start burning sugar again.
    The underlying reason for the need for extra insulin is ALWAYS high and higher carbohydrate and insulin-driving foods consumption. Why so? Here's the clue: Taubes. Why more sugar consumption? Because elevated insulin means HUNGER and cravings for sugary/starchy foods.

With time, being more or less insulin resistant, a patient will gain on weight.
    Only really advanced and fast-progressing cases will rapidly lose weight, develop other serious symptoms etc. Of course- some of them will not gain weight at all. But the facts are, obesity and T2 diabetes are strongly correlated and go hand-in-hand. You do realize that when T2 reaches the point a patient can't utilize glucose AT ALL, it's becoming life-threatning? You can't really get T2 diabetic, lose a lot of weight and still feel good for longer periods.

Nothing to do with being "like the low-carber", BTW.

Now the most important part- and that can be confirmed by thousands of independent studies from low-carb doctors, such as W. Lutz, Ch. Allen as examples- remove excess carbs from T2 patient and within days/weeks/months, you get him to non-diabetic BG levels. How is that possible, if the reason for T2- in your opinion- are the fats, be them bad or good?
    On the contrary- you have T2 diabetes "epidemic", with diabetics constantly being told to reduce fat intake, and switch to "healthy whole grains". With their weight and marker numbers only going up.

So even if- hypothetically- vegetable oils are the evil ones that cause insulin resistance in the first place- how would you explain that limiting carbs improves insulin sensitivity, reducing resistance? We don't really know (science doesn't know... ) what the mechanism behind insulin resistance is, but certainly- that's something to do with excess carbohydrates consumption. Remove excess carbs- get rid of T2 diabetes.

Did Ray Peat ever actually cure anyone from T2 by removing veggie oils and increasing banana and gelatin, not to mention 10 cups of coffee a day?

Michał

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    The Daily Mail is the equivalent of Fox News, anything it says should be ignored, or at least looked at from a more intelligent source.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekola View Post
    Did Ray Peat ever actually cure anyone from T2 by removing veggie oils and increasing banana and gelatin, not to mention 10 cups of coffee a day?
    There's literature showing reversal of diabetes with crash diets and early insulin therapy. Has anyone cured diabetes (not just hyperglycemia) with low carb? There are many long, drawn-out debates about Gary Taubes's theory of obesity to be found online. I'd recommend reading them.

mikekola is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    There's literature showing reversal of diabetes with crash diets and early insulin therapy. Has anyone cured diabetes (not just hyperglycemia) with low carb? There are many long, drawn-out debates about Gary Taubes's theory of obesity to be found online. I'd recommend reading them.
    What do you mean by "cure"? If you mean- getting your FBG to normal ranges, and HBA1c as well, then- yes. Read W. Lutz, Ch. Allen "Life Without Bread" or even "Wheat Belly" by W. Davis.

Michal

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    A crash diet, even a high carb one, is a low carb diet. I'm assuming by crash diet you mean a very low calorie diet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    A crash diet, even a high carb one, is a low carb diet.
    Good to know...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1263456
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast