Thread: Bad dreams upon being grain-free? page

MsSmith is offline Senior Member

Bad dreams upon being grain-free?

Primal Fuel
    Did anyone experience bad dreams upon being grain-free? I sure have. Not the scary sci-fi stuff I used to have when eating anything spicy (not necessary spicy-hot) in the evenings, but disturbing nonetheless.

I posted this is the newbie thread but thought I'd post it again... Thanks.

Any suggestions for me?
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    This might be your brain "clearing out" the toxins found in grains such as the gluten and phytates. If you've ditched the bad oils as well, you could be also detoxing from those. There's going to be a period where you have those toxic substances in your blood stream as the body tries to eliminate them. You feel like crap while you're undergoing the elimination phase as a result.

One thing I have noticed since going primal is that I think more clearly, am more motivated, have a better mood. It has literally changed the way my brain functions, and I think that's due to removing a large portion of the toxic food-substances I was formally consuming on a regular basis.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Thanks! I believe that 40+ plus years of grain then all of sudden, no more, has to be a bit of a shock for the body... I haven't read anything about bad dreams though.
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    oooh I find that I actually have less intense dreams since I'm primal. Or I just don't remember them much but I usually dream very intense. So much so that it lingers in my body throughout the day, the good or the bad. Since I cut down the carbs my mind seems to be more at peace.

I hope you'll sleep more peacefully soon... bad dreams are so not fun

Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    oooh I find that I actually have less intense dreams since I'm primal. Or I just don't remember them much but I usually dream very intense. So much so that it lingers in my body throughout the day, the good or the bad. Since I cut down the carbs my mind seems to be more at peace.

I hope you'll sleep more peacefully soon... bad dreams are so not fun
    Thank you. 3 weeks ago I had dreams for two weeks straight in which I was crying when I woke up. I remembered the dreams at the time, but not now. Then Tuesday that stopped. But this morning I had a terrible dream very early and woke up (not crying) but in extreme distress and tried to go back to sleep after a few minutes of trying to calm down. But every time I did that, I rejoined the dream. I finally prayed for it to be taken away from me, which I should have in the first place, and got up. It is the hardest part of this diet, if it is part of this diet, so far.

ETA - Well, the carb flu meltdown was probably the worst. This runs a close second because it's happened so many times.
    Last edited by MsSmith; 09-29-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    48 - 5'7.5"

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    They always say that dreams help you work through things and help you file away and deal with memories or experiences.

It is possible that you have suppressed everything that trigger negative emotions, memories or thoughts with sugar/carbs highs. for example when eating lots of carbs later in the evening. Now that, that suppression or cushioning is gone your mind starts to deal with it...
    No matter how bad you feel later about them, dreams are good things. They help you and they make you learn lessons more efficiently.

to give an example:
    A few years ago I dreams that I was running from a gunman but was shot right in the head. I remember that in the dream a certain blackness started to envelope me and that I felt utterly peaceful. I woke up totally frightened and couldn't sleep well for a week afraid that I would dream it again.
    Slowly I started to realize that my dream (and I had more like them) was showing me that death wasn't painful and that you couldn't run away from it. I learned to deal with the reality of it. (I was dealing with the reality of heart failure at the time) I needed some support from friends but it really helped me letting go of a fear.

Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    They always say that dreams help you work through things and help you file away and deal with memories or experiences.

It is possible that you have suppressed everything that trigger negative emotions, memories or thoughts with sugar/carbs highs. for example when eating lots of carbs later in the evening. Now that, that suppression or cushioning is gone your mind starts to deal with it...
    No matter how bad you feel later about them, dreams are good things. They help you and they make you learn lessons more efficiently.

to give an example:
    A few years ago I dreams that I was running from a gunman but was shot right in the head. I remember that in the dream a certain blackness started to envelope me and that I felt utterly peaceful. I woke up totally frightened and couldn't sleep well for a week afraid that I would dream it again.
    Slowly I started to realize that my dream (and I had more like them) was showing me that death wasn't painful and that you couldn't run away from it. I learned to deal with the reality of it. (I was dealing with the reality of heart failure at the time) I needed some support from friends but it really helped me letting go of a fear.
    That is fascinating! I have used food for comfort in many situations all of my life, that's for sure. And I have overused it to replace uncontrollable emotional pain at times - overeating resulting in a pain with a beginning, a middle, and an end.

Each time I rejoined the dream this morning, I was trying to fix the problem but the subject was too upsetting. I remember saying to myself, this is just a dream, stop trying to fix it! I have often read that dreams are a product of our subconscious and I have done some work re: the conscious and the subconscious (I love Dr. Wayne Dyer) and I wish there was a way to wipe the bad stuff that results in dreams that are just upsetting (not teaching dreams like yours) away. Again, this is something I should pray about and I will but I would also be interested in any mental exercises that would also be helpful.

I am watching Super Soul Sunday. The author of "The War or Art" is the guest and he is speaking primarily about resistance. He says we get the most resistance when we are attempting to do things that are most important. He hasn't said anything particularly religious or spiritual, so to speak, but it is reminding me of things I've always heard and read about spiritual warfare and the many roadblocks placed in the way of our paths toward improvement, enlightenment, etc., and who places them there. And I am also reminded of the quote, "The only way out is through."
    48 - 5'7.5"

Maybe the lesson from the dream is "These scary thoughts that you are thinking about are nothing more than your thoughts. Don't believe everything you think. There is nothing to fix!" ??

("Don't believe everything you think." is a quote credited to Dr. Wayne Dyer and others. Not sure where it originated.)
    Last edited by MsSmith; 09-30-2013 at 02:57 AM.
    48 - 5'7.5"