Thread: Damage Control Master Formula for Autoimmune? page

Debbers is offline Junior Member

Damage Control Master Formula for Autoimmune?

Shop Now
    Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience using the Damage Control Master Formula with MS or other autoimmune diseases? I have been Paleo for about a year with good results and take several different targeted vitamins and minerals, all of which appear to be in the Damage Control Master Formula. Even though this formula is expensive, it would be cheaper and much easier to take than all of the supplements I'm currently taking combined, however, I always worry about getting too many antioxidants and other products with the ability to boost the immune system, which I am told is not desirable with my condition. Apparently taking supplements to "support" the immune system is O.K., but not to "boost" it. My neuro has no interest in utilizing diet or nutritional supplements and unfortunately is the only one available in my small community, and he pretty much dropped me as a patient when I went off the CRAB drugs which weren't working for me (he said there was nothing he could do for me if I didn't take the drugs), so I am on my own in figuring this out. Any suggestions or experience in this area would be most appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    So there are things that absolutely do boost the immune system, like echinacea, which someone with an autoimmune disorder absolutely must not take.

When it comes to macro-doses of antioxidants, it's another issue entirely... and one that is much more complicated. The question is does it boost your immune system, or does it interfere so much with the natural functioning of the immune system that they are actually harmful by preventing your immune system from protecting you? There is zero evidence for the boosting in terms of changing your laboratory numbers. In certain cases, there is lots of evidence of the latter in terms of increased cancer associated with certain mega doses.

This makes me really question the use of mega-doses of antioxidants as a protective and I don't think it is a good idea for ANYONE, much less someone with an immune disorder (there is some evidence that using them as a chemotherapy- to treat DISEASE after the immune system has already failed may work).

*I am not a doctor or a pharmacist. I am a drug research paper pusher.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

BenP is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    So there are things that absolutely do boost the immune system, like echinacea, which someone with an autoimmune disorder absolutely must not take.

When it comes to macro-doses of antioxidants, it's another issue entirely... and one that is much more complicated. The question is does it boost your immune system, or does it interfere so much with the natural functioning of the immune system that they are actually harmful by preventing your immune system from protecting you? There is zero evidence for the boosting in terms of changing your laboratory numbers. In certain cases, there is lots of evidence of the latter in terms of increased cancer associated with certain mega doses.

This makes me really question the use of mega-doses of antioxidants as a protective and I don't think it is a good idea for ANYONE, much less someone with an immune disorder (there is some evidence that using them as a chemotherapy- to treat DISEASE after the immune system has already failed may work).

*I am not a doctor or a pharmacist. I am a drug research paper pusher.
    Really interesting. I have eczema which is an autoimmune disease and is always worse after I've been ill, as if my immune system is revved up fighting something and just carried on to attack my body.... When ill I've always taken things like lots of vit C, olive leaf and some other things. So from reading your post I should probably minimise what I do to boost my immune system.

It's a very difficult balancing act as you need to minimise illnesses and also minimise inflammation but also I guess avoid over revving my immune system generally.

Tell me more

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    You've got it exactly right- it is a difficult balance. You'll notice that on the commercials for the drugs to treat auto-immune conditions they often talk about the drug making it more difficult to fight infections. Auto-immune conditions can be spun up be exposure to allergins like spring pollen or foods (which is why a lot of control focuses on diet)... I recently had some vaccinations which seem to have not played nicely with my auto-immune issues... Sigh.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I've been using Damage Control for almost a year now with excellent results. I also find that it's much cheaper than buying the whole array of vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants. And the sources are the best I've found. However I found out early that taking the full dose, 2 packets / day, was too much for me. I've been taking only 1 packet a day, 2 capsules each after breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The full dose is probably right for athletes, but I'm pretty sedentary.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

pollo_la is offline Member
    Very interested to hear what other have to say about this. I have been having MS like symptoms on and off for the last year, as well as some eczema (a version of it) on my hands that developed over the last couple years. So far I have just been taking Omega 3, probiotics, and vitamin D supplements (which has actually helped quite a bit). I'd love to know if taking Damage COntrol could help even more though.