Thread: Does Coconut Oil have carbs? page

Wildrose is online now Senior Member

Does Coconut Oil have carbs?

Primal Fuel
    ...Or is my Livestrong.com tracker just stupid?

I love the Myplate thing because there are entries for all my Lindt chocolates. I just type in Lindt and everything pops up. But I noticed recently that it has 3 grams of carbs per tablespoon of coconut oil. Can that be right? I think my tracker is lying to me. Of course, if it is, my carb count is lower than I thought. Not exactly a bad thing. Any insights?

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    There are no carbs in coconut oil.

What I figured... I'm going to have to watch this calorie counter thing. Maybe try to find a better one, I think the entry for avocado is off too...

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    At first I thought this was a stupid question... then I saw the magic number "3 g" of carbs. Due to the way food labeling is determined, food with less than 5 g of carbs / serving may end up labeled in the USA as 0 g carbs. So that made me interested to look further.

It does appear that traditionally processed coconut oil that does not use chemicals to purify the oil actually may have a small amount of carbs and protein in it. I have not seen any labels that say that (but I haven't been looking either), but there are some comments in message boards about coconut oil that comes labeled as containing carbs.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't be surprised. Especially unrefined coconut oil. I swear it's almost like chewing coconut.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    At Whole Foods and looked at the labels- one listed a carb number and two listed protein numbers. Interesting...
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Just looked at my Nutiva..it lists zero carbs.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    At first I thought this was a stupid question... then I saw the magic number "3 g" of carbs. Due to the way food labeling is determined, food with less than 5 g of carbs / serving may end up labeled in the USA as 0 g carbs. So that made me interested to look further.

It does appear that traditionally processed coconut oil that does not use chemicals to purify the oil actually may have a small amount of carbs and protein in it. I have not seen any labels that say that (but I haven't been looking either), but there are some comments in message boards about coconut oil that comes labeled as containing carbs.
    Interesting! So maybe I should look for carbs on the label to indicate good coconut oil. Thanks!