Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - MsSmith page

MsSmith is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal - MsSmith

Hi everyone! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts and soaking up all the information on these forums.

I am in my mid 40's, peri-menopausal, weight 176, body fat 27%, height 5'8". I have a vaccine injured child and no insurance for myself, so I do try to stay as healthy as possible. I had a health scare in the form of an emergency cholecystectomy 2 years ago and that really drove the point home about paying more attention to nutrition and exercise. Our household is organic, gluten and casein free. My child is G&C intolerant so much so that they cause a 66% increase in her seizures. None of her neurologists ever mentioned that gluten and casein intolerance could cause seizures, but when I tried it (for her symptoms of vaccine induced encephalopathy - commonly known as autism) and saw the immediate results, I googled it and I found hundreds of parents sharing similar experiences. I am very disappointed in the state of the USA's "health care" and find that it is often times more about a new chronic disease industry - corporate profit before people. But that is JMO.

Going organic was life-changing for my symptoms of extreme PMS and hot flashes. Being peri-meopausal is an adventure. I never know what to expect every 3 weeks and, other than the stall in weight loss that often accompanies it, I am ready for it to be over. I would really like to get to my ideal weight before that happens.

A little over a month ago I ate a bowl of oatmeal and that was the only thing I ate that day. Shortly thereafter, I was so bloated that I looked 6 months pregnant. This has happened all of my life but because I had only eaten oatmeal, I was able to research the problem more effectively and it lead me to grains and the paleo diet, and further searching led me here. I can't tell you how many social situations have been disrupted because of bloating throughout my life. I wish I had known what the problem was a long time ago, but I know now and I am grateful for that. I can now do something about it.

So, because of the absence of a gallbladder and a family history of high cholesterol and terrible lipid profiles myself, I am opting for a lower fat Paleo diet. I am trying to jumpstart my weight loss between now and vacation (mid October) by being in a ketotic state. Other members have cautioned me about low carbs and lower fat, low caloric intake, and keeping my fat consumption higher than protein consumption, etc. and I think I am armed with good information to go forward.

My caloric intake is low and I can't find a way around that given that I want to have lower fat and carb ratios than is the normal for Paleo. I keep reminding myself of Mathew McConaughey's diet for his film role - 4 ounces of fish + 1 cup of vegetables twice a day for days - and then I don't stress too much about it. It is temporary. I would eventually like to keep my carbs at a maximum of 50 grams and my fat grams between 35-40. I have found that if I eat asparagus, spinach, squashes, and mushrooms that I feel full, as opposed to what I had yesterday, which was lettuce/turkey roll-ups with red bell pepper strips. I wanted something cool and uncooked yesterday but it threw me for a loop when I realized how many carbs are in red bell pepper strips. This won't be a problem when I finish my run of ketosis.

I am exercising in a fasting state in the early a.m., after having one cup of coffee w/ stevia. I usually get hungry about 1.5-2 hours later. I have never been one to be hungry in the morning. I am usually finished eating for the day around 5-6. I have no problems with energy during fasting exercise which is currently 2.6 mph on the treadmill for 30 min., plus 5 minutes total warm-up and cool down. I was walking for 45 minutes total, but I crashed during carb flu. I am not sure if I need to try to go back to 45 min. I walk 6 mornings each week and watch for my child's seizures using a video camera and monitor. I was at 169 pounds two years ago but my dad passed and I stopped exercising for 15 months, and I ate a lot of comfort food. My favorite foods are pasta, bacon, and ice cream. I think I probably got close to 200 pounds. I bought my first scale this week. I drink about a gallon of water every day.

So, that is what is going on with me, in a nutshell. I am grateful for all of this new information that is available for everyone who has issues with grains.
    Last edited by MsSmith; 09-29-2013 at 08:12 AM.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

It sure is difficult (for me), at this stage in the process, to prepare different meals for the kiddo without having a little "taste" here and there. Yesterday I cooked grass fed meatballs and made mine without sauce. AND I stopped myself from eating the leftover sauce on the platter just in time. I mindlessly popped a couple of cherry tomatoes into my mouth while making her salad though. Today, I am cooking fried chicken with sides and crock pot roast beef and potatoes for her and that is going to be interesting...!
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

I've been posting about my bad dreams since being grain free on one of the other boards, and watching Super Soul Sunday and now The Curious Case of Benjamin Button again. Why are there so many repeats of old movies on super-expensive cable?? My daughter has been sleeping but just asked for a cup of crushed ice. Her crock pot roast beef, potatoes, and carrots will be done in 45 minutes. Oh, How I Miss Potatoes!!

I am hungry. It probably has something to do with the aroma wafting from the crock pot for the last 3 hours...

Today I have had:

Upon waking: Large cup of coffee with stevia and coffee mate (I know, I know. But every other "creamer" is yucky!) No exercise today - Sunday.

Brunch: 2 cups mushrooms, 1 cup asparagus, 1 cup spinach, sauteed in EVOO.

2 o'clock (I couldn't wait any longer): 2 cups grated yellow squash sauteed in clarified butter.

No surprise I am hungry, I know. Trying to stay in ketosis and consume fewer fat grams than is the normal for Paleo.

It's 4:15 so I am going to try to tough it out until the hour when I decide it is too late in the day to eat.

Not sure if I will treadmill for 35 min. tomorrow or back to 45. I am so grateful for the treadmill and the ability to watch out for my child's seizures with the camera and monitor. I am grateful for this diet, too. A normal appearing body (not bloated by grains), for the first time in my life, is on its way.
    48 - 5'7.5"

I have been reading some of your journals and it's got me thinking, thinking, thinking about the next few days, which will be the week most women dread. I don't dare weigh next week. All of the progress I've made is hiding and I look like an inflated person again, though I know it is temporary, it is still so very frustrating every month.

I am not sure when the thoughts (that are not from God) will begin - the self-doubt, self-loathing, memories from the past, etc. This is always a crazy week that seems to magically evaporate after 7 days. I have worked so hard to get past a lot of stuff and I did !! and it's just hard to feel it blown to smithereens every 21 days.

So anyway, I will be reading more journals in the days to come. Right now, I feel like I want to post some quotes for anyone who may be able to relate, in the hopes that they might help, even a little.

rejection.jpg

rejection2.jpg

wings1.jpg

This is my pinterest quotes page: Graphics
    48 - 5'7.5"

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Those quotes on rejection are powerful. I too hate the emotional turmoil of that time of the month.

I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Paula. I've seen you in some of my friends journals. Welcome!
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Those quotes on rejection are powerful. I too hate the emotional turmoil of that time of the month.

I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Paula. I've seen you in some of my friends journals. Welcome!
    Hi Paula! Thanks. Yours is on my list of journals to read.
    48 - 5'7.5"

So, I am up, awake since 3. The time between 5-5:30 (my previous wake up time) and 7:30 seems to be a hot spot for bad dreams so I am grateful to be wide awake at 5 a.m. I am grateful for this forum and for these journals.

I am excited after reading my Twitter feed re: the Once Upon A Time season premiere last night. I got excited all over again! I love that show, and Grey's Anatomy, which also had a great season premiere. I love it that my shows are back on. And it's FALL. I love Fall.

I thought about it, and since I have amassed so many quotes, I think I will post one a day. I read somewhere that reading quotes is one of the most efficient ways a person with limited time and resources can learn, from the experiences of others. Good to know! Some of my favorites are from Marianne Williamson, Dr. Wayne Dyer, Gary Zukav, Rumi, etc.

So here we go! This is one that I jotted down quickly and didn't have time to write the author's name! Wahhhhh. I think it might have been Iyanla Vanzant or Don Miguel Ruiz. Sorry! All of the others will be credited appropriately.

"Help others, yes. Try to affect them. But do not allow them to infect you."

And it occurred to me that there is one thing that is good about "this week" - - - a decreased appetite! lol

I wish I felt this good all day long. Why doesn't coffee pack the same happy punch at any time of the day?

I definitely felt more alert and had the energetic ketosis buzz the last couple of days and I didn't feel like I had to take a nap at 3 p.m. Naps have become hot spots for bad dreams, too. Ready for that part of carb flu to pass. For sure! Ready to stop having to take naps too, but if my body says I need one, then so be it.

Have a blessed day everyone!
    Last edited by MsSmith; 09-30-2013 at 04:13 AM.
    48 - 5'7.5"

Thanks for the stars, lovely person or persons! xoxo
    48 - 5'7.5"

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Just poking my head in to say hi. I love reading quotes. I'll be looking forward to those and to getting to know you.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Today's Treadmill: 2 miles (this is a record for me) at 2.6 mph. 228 calories burned. 52 minutes (includes 4 minutes (total) warm-up and cool-down at lower speeds). No incline because of the middle-aged knees, doncha know.

So, I am in ketosis and I had a large cup of coffee with stevia and coffee mate, which contained 2.5 grams of fat and 5 grams of carbs at 3:30 a.m. Not sure how much of that was still present when I exercised 3 hours later...? Am hoping the calories burned were mostly stored fat. And, I am hoping that I actually burned more than the calorie counter on the treadmill indicated because I am ketosis. I type that because I read on a ketogenic diet site that fat burning begins immediately upon exercise in a ketotic state whereas fat burning begins 20 minutes into exercise in a non-ketotic state. Anyone have any info about this?

ETA: The calorie counter does begin counting immediately... There is no 20 minute delay. Don't know what to think about this info.

The work-out was amazingly effortless. Sweat was the only aggravation, but sweat is good! DD slept peacefully. I could have walked for who knows how many more minutes, but I didn't want to be greedy. I prayed and prayed to be able to treadmill for 35 minutes. And then 45 minutes. I felt 52 minutes was more than enough. I wanted to do 2 complete miles at 2.6 mph and I did. Thanks, God! All the Glory goes to You.
    Last edited by MsSmith; 09-30-2013 at 06:13 AM.
    48 - 5'7.5"

Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast