Thread: VEGETABLES! Do you count only net carbs and do you count trace protein? page

Nova is offline Member

VEGETABLES! Do you count only net carbs and do you count trace protein?

Shop Now
    I searched this forum for this question, but can't find the answer so I'm sorry if it's been posted elsewhere.
    I don't count daily but do spot checks every now and then.

I like to keep carbs at around 40. I keep protein at about 70 or 80.
    I'm wondering if you all count carbs or if you just consider "net carbs." And so you count the trace protein in vegetables?
    For example
    1 cup of raw broccoli has:
    Carbs: 6g
    Fiber: 2.4g
    Net carbs: 3.6
    Protein 2.6 g

I'm not sure if Mark intends us to count the carbs here or the net carbs. Also what about the protein?
    It's nothing but miniscule amts when we look at the one cup of broccoli. Added through the day or averaged over the week...if I'm only counting net carbs, that can be a bit more than only HALF the carbs I'm supposed to count and a bit under half the protein. So it adds up.

Does any one know what Mark says on this? Basically I like not to count grams - but I'm curious when I consider my daily vegetables. I can eat large piles of veggies - but they are carbs and will convert to sugar - so maybe I should count total carbs and not net?

And not sure what to do about protein. When mark says about .7 or .8 my lean body mass, I will come up with 98 grams of protein on the low end. But does Mark mean animal sourced protein only (in other words naturally "complete" proteins that contain the essential aminos)

Would love discussion on this. Thanks.
    GROK STAR

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    It's the full carb count, not net. Protein is in general (wherever you get it, but animal is better.)

Nova is offline Member
    thanks!!!!!!!
    GROK STAR

KXS
    KXS is offline Member
    Vegetables???? unless potatoes/sweet potatoes I dont see how carb in vegetables matter...esp net vs. whatever. I am not sure Mark intended anyone to get that nitpicky? really?

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KXS View Post
    Vegetables???? unless potatoes/sweet potatoes I dont see how carb in vegetables matter...esp net vs. whatever. I am not sure Mark intended anyone to get that nitpicky? really?
    Some of us, myself included, don't eat many vegetables. I don't really avoid them per se. If someone makes a meal for me and servers them I will eat , but I don't usually eat them myself. To run, the human body needs protein to rebuild and make repairs and fat or carbs to use as fuel. I'm mostly carnivorous which means that my carbs stay very low and my diet is heavy in fats and protein. I wouldn't say that my diet is for everyone, but it works for me.

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    I use fitday, which does all my trace protein counting for me.

I count total carbs. Today I will have had about 4 total carbs, which all exclusively come from bacon, and eggs (I have finally decided to cut out cheese!)