Thread: Does anyone have any advice for muscle cramps? page

YingNYang is offline Junior Member

Does anyone have any advice for muscle cramps?

Shop Now
    Hi Groksters,

I find that when I am on a really good fat burning and there is not much glycogen in my muscles, I tend to get various cramps such as leg cramps at night, a back cramp or even an ab cramp. Does anyone have a supplement or remedy that is effective? I have tried calcium/magnesium supplements, potassium supplements and they really don't do much.

Any advice anyone has would be very appreciated

runningout is offline Junior Member
    Timothy Noakes writes shortly (in book: Waterlogged) about hyponatremia (low natrium levels), when cramps occur at rest and in several muscles. Also Search: Daniell & Nocturnal Cramps..he has studied this area.

YingNYang is offline Junior Member
    Thank you so much!

I was kinda going nuts with this cramping!

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Calcium deficiency may be to blame but so may an imbalance in potassium and sodium. When I was into running in ketosis I used to stick a spoon of sea salt in some warm water and glug it down with some black-strap molasses just before running and it sorted me out. Your body dumps sodium when you're in ketosis so you have to replace it.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

walker.alles is offline Junior Member
    I was waking up to calf cramps in the middle of the night 3+ times per week. I've found since adding sea salt to my diet the issue is gone.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium citrate or glyconate (if you can find it) help with muscle cramps. Also with restless leg syndrome, general relaxation and deeper sleep.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    With IW on that one, my N=1 trial on magnesium citrate has produced an interesting side effect of decreasing my nocturnal urine output meaning I don't have to get up to pee every night.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I just take 1/4 tsp of baking soda after a heavy workout. Works pretty well! I also have a glop of molasses every day and sprinkle potassium salt on my food, and get plenty of salt from kraut and bacon. And, yes, mag citrate almost every day.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

GratianHarris is offline Junior Member
    A proper warm-up and cool down may help keep cramps at bay. So make sure to carve out time to get those muscles movin’ before working out and relaxed once done.