Thread: Martial Arts page

Owen is offline Senior Member

Martial Arts

Shop Now
    Hi Everyone,

I've read that Martal Arts can be good at improving your confidence. Are there any PB'ers who do a martial art, what would your thoughts be on this?
    Last edited by Owen; 09-29-2013 at 12:15 AM.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Hardly a controversial topic - of course it can help build confidence. You're training your body to be effective in defending itself. The more you improve the more your confidence grows, mentally and physically.

Martial arts certainly improve confidence, in part because you are learning to defend yourself.

That's not the whole story though. Martial arts are about self-improvement and self-mastery. You're not competing against other people, you're competing against yourself. Every time you come to class, you are better than you were last class. The constant cycle of improvement (without measuring yourself against others) and increased self-awareness tends to generate more self-confidence.

Being able to defend yourself only goes so far. When you run up against the person who smokes you (in real combat or sparring), your self-confidence would tank if "being better at defending myself than others are at hurting me" was the only (or priimary) reason for improved self-confidence

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I would say that MA do not improve self-confidence, on the opposite. I suck, like a big time suck, all capital letters SUCK, so I feel much more vulnerable after starting the classes. But I feel that the MA give me the missing component of fitness, in terms of at least attempting to develop agility, reaction, body memory, and awareness of what body parts doing without looking. Also, MA keeps you focused during the whole time, brain is actively engaged in avoiding being hurt (directly from a punch, or by taking a bad fall)

Self-confidence... no, not at all. It takes one time the whole class looking as you try to roll across the mat to strip it. Or trying to break a grip of a male who can wrap his fingers around your wrist. Or spending endless moments stepping this way and turning that way to subdue a non-resisting sparring partner (who gives you tips), while knowing that a street fight lasts 30 sec tops.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-30-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    Oh man, I would love to start some form of Kung-Fu, it looks so neat and the self-control on your body movements is outstanding. I just don't have time right now but I may start one day ...

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I like it because of the exercise of focus and discipline. It also forces you to be calm at the most tumultuous moments. When you have these components ingrained in your mind, you naturally have more self-confidence because you always think with a clearer mind.

Also because you command respect when people know you can knock their nose into their skull before they know it

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    I do karate, (you can sorta tell from my avatar) and I love it to bits.
    Yes, I would say it improved my self-confidence in some things - I know a few people who's self-esteem improved a lot from taking it up.

T.

herrfer is offline Junior Member
    Well!
    When you have these components ingrained in your mind, you naturally have more self-confidence because you always think with a clearer mind.
    Also because you command respect when people know you can knock their nose into their skull before they know it,
    Last edited by herrfer; 10-05-2013 at 02:27 AM.
    herrfer