Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone gain weight with more fat??? page

kiwigal is offline Senior Member

Anyone gain weight with more fat???

Shop Now
    This is soo weird and I have no idea why it is happening. Maybe you guys could share some light on this for me????

If I eat 1500 calories of high fat, moderate protein and low carb I gain fat and go up on the scales. When I eat high protein, low fat, moderate carbs with vegetables being my carb source I lose weight????

I know not all calories are the same?? You would think 1500 calories is 1500 calories no matter what you eat???

I was trying to do VLC and push myself into ketosis faster by adding in more fat. I'm still counting those calories but I'm gaining weight. This is sooo frustrating. I have 20 pounds I'd like to lose yesterday ROFLOL!!!!!

Grrrrrrr

Thanks for your help guys!!!!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends highly on the person. I know when I eat a lot of protein I will gain weight, regardless of the similar calorie count.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Thats what I would have thought too!!!! I keep seeing protein turns to glucose when not used. My body prefers 4-5 oz protein and 1 tsp of fat over 3 oz protein at each meal with 1 Tblsp of fat. I have no idea why????

Zach is offline Banned
    Fat is the first macro to be stored as fat. A low carb, high fat/protein diet will lower metabolism and thyroid making it much easier to store fat.

People with 30lbs of fat or less to lose would do much better on a lower fat diet.

middlepath is offline Member
    When I first started trying to maintain weight after losing it, I let myself go a little gonzo on the fats figuring, "Hey, I'm probably a fat-burner rather than a sugar burner now, plus I'm only trying to maintain not lose." That didn't work out so well, and I gained about 4-5 lbs back. I don't have a good breakdown of my macros but when I eat "too much" fat, I gain or stall out on weight loss.

I think many people can lose weight on a high carb, low fat diet but when I eat too many carbs, I'm hungry all the time which is a miserable way to live, if you ask me. It seems that a moderate protein, high vegetable, moderate fat approach works for me. Including juiced veggies, I eat about 8-9 servings of veg a day, and about 6-7 servings of meat a week, and about a 12-15 eggs a week. Carbs are usually in the 100-125 grams per day range. I have 2-3 tsp of coconut oil with my 2 morning eggs and maybe about 20 grams of fat at lunch. Dinner is where I have to watch it. Between salad dressing, mayo/butter/cheese/pesto on veggies, and animal fat, the fat grams can skyrocket. I realized I can't have spoonfuls of coconut butter with pecans and cinnamon for dessert after that or it's Game Over.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwigal View Post
    Thats what I would have thought too!!!! I keep seeing protein turns to glucose when not used. My body prefers 4-5 oz protein and 1 tsp of fat over 3 oz protein at each meal with 1 Tblsp of fat. I have no idea why????
    I actually think the limiting of protein is why some people have issue with the high fat primal diet. You need to carnitine to burn fat.

Carnitine Shuttle System/

I think ketosis at the expense of protein is problematic for some people in part due to this.

Also it seems the evidence doesn't support excess protein being converted into more glucose while restricting carbs. There may be other mechanisms or reasons to restrict protein in a ketogenic diet, but its not due to the protein becoming carbohydrates.

Anyhow, I might suggest that digesting veggetables even with sufficient carbs is actually more energy consuming than a diet that does not have that..... roughage. And that energy is not nearly as bioavailable from a veggie as it is from meat...so there is another point of calorie loss. You very well could be down to 12-1300 calories just with that. Thats just one theory off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-28-2013 at 02:13 PM.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    No. Although I have never lost weight with that approach, either.

Zach thanks soo much!!!!

Low fat high carb???? Or just low fat????

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwigal View Post
    Zach thanks soo much!!!!

Low fat high carb???? Or just low fat????
    I advocate a lof fat high carb diet with carbs mostly coming from sugar sources (fruit). It seems to work well for women. The macros are uo to your personal preferences though. Check our the MOAR Peat thread and the What did you Peat today? thread in the journals forums for more info.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    If you know what doesn't work then don't do it. It is probably your genetics that determines what works and etc.

That or you're undestimating calories from fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast