Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone gain weight with more fat??? page 2

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I gained weight on a diet like you describe, and I was in the ideal range when I started. The macros that I have found work best for me, based on my N=1 is high carb/low protein/low fat. That's just me.

ETA: I am also gaining strength on this regimen.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Yal it never seemed to matter what my calories were once I went high fat. Now I am struggling to get things going again. And it bites to have to eat my words and back peddle to DH. Even just now, as we were discussing dinner, I said that whatever I have that I needed to watch my fat... and he said..."oh but fat doesnt make you fat!" The one time he would decide to listen to me......

I didnt gain back the weight that I lost, but things screeched to a halt. Well, that is not entirely true - I did gain about 9lbs back when I added some carbs back in, lost about 3 of those, but now gain and lose the same few pounds.

So now I watch the fat (low-ish but I may need to go even lower) watch the protein (mod. to high) I started doing more structured ST. Some Craig Ballantyne stuff along with PB stuff. I try to have more carbs on the ST days, something starchy whereas I was just adding fruit. I do keep measurements and some of those are finally going down.
    Last edited by gopintos; 09-28-2013 at 04:34 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I have gained and lost on both high-carb and high-fat. Satiety and calories.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    I would advise reading the Perfect Health Diet. It has more of an emphasis on carbs. In my opinion, some people do better in ketosis, some people really don't. You just need to find what works for you.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I actually think the limiting of protein is why some people have issue with the high fat primal diet. You need to carnitine to burn fat.

Carnitine Shuttle System/

I think ketosis at the expense of protein is problematic for some people in part due to this.

Also it seems the evidence doesn't support excess protein being converted into more glucose while restricting carbs. There may be other mechanisms or reasons to restrict protein in a ketogenic diet, but its not due to the protein becoming carbohydrates.

Anyhow, I might suggest that digesting veggetables even with sufficient carbs is actually more energy consuming than a diet that does not have that..... roughage. And that energy is not nearly as bioavailable from a veggie as it is from meat...so there is another point of calorie loss. You very well could be down to 12-1300 calories just with that. Thats just one theory off the top of my head.
    +1 The protein is the key here. Too little protein down regulates metabolism. Raising the protein worked for you. The change in fat/carb mix is incidental
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I have lost some weight on high-fat, low-carb, moderate protein diet in the past, but that was just because I had to severely restrict calories to < 1200 a day. Personally I'd never do that again.
    Over the last few months I've been leaning out nicely and feeling great overall on high-carb, lowish fat woe at approx 1500 calories a day, which for me is eating to satiety.

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    I gained weight on a diet like you describe, and I was in the ideal range when I started. The macros that I have found work best for me, based on my N=1 is high carb/low protein/low fat. That's just me.

ETA: I am also gaining strength on this regimen.

Thanks soo much!!!!

Could you give me an example of what your daily diet looks like so I could follow something similar?? Are you at 100 grams per day??? Eating fruits???

Just need a lil help.

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwigal View Post
    Thanks soo much!!!!

Could you give me an example of what your daily diet looks like so I could follow something similar?? Are you at 100 grams per day??? Eating fruits???

Just need a lil help.
    I eat a ton of fruit everyday, and for protein mostly bone broth and shellfish. I don't tolerate vegetables well at all. And things get less and less primal from there really so I'm probably not the best to ask :/ I arrived at eating this way by followings my tastes to what I like best and the way I like my energy level to, which is really really high right now.

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    I eat a ton of fruit everyday, and for protein mostly bone broth and shellfish. I don't tolerate vegetables well at all. And things get less and less primal from there really so I'm probably not the best to ask :/ I arrived at eating this way by followings my tastes to what I like best and the way I like my energy level to, which is really really high right now.

Primal or not I still appreciate hearing this. Thanks soo much!!

jodi29 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwigal View Post
    Primal or not I still appreciate hearing this. Thanks soo much!!
    Me too!

Just to add my two cents (and I've been doing Primal since end of June), I've had okay results with weight loss and my clothes are loose. But, I've stalled an have started gaining weight back! I did a carb refeed last weekend and immediately lost 2 pounds. The next day, I went back to high fat, low carb and gained those two pounds right back. I work out 3-4 times a week with sprints and LHT. I am going to be switching to low fat (~50g) and high carb (~150g) with the rest in protein and see how that goes. Good luck to you!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast