Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Long is Too Long for a Low Fat Diet? page

GrokON is offline Senior Member

How Long is Too Long for a Low Fat Diet?

Primal Fuel
    I have had some great success on Primal, but I want to lose more weight and I need to cut the fat calories quite a bit. Note that I don't fear fat - I love it! But the calories are adding up.

So I was thinking of spending 2-3 week cycles choosing leaner meats, trimming the visible fat, and choosing roasting or poaching over frying. In between cycles, I'd go back to 2-3 days of Primal (which for me means lots of good fats, oils, fatty pastured meats, sauces etc.) before resuming the short term low fat diet for another 2-3 weeks.

So, how long is too long to be doing this for gallbladder health? I know that gallstones and attacks are usually caused when people go from low fat to high fat, because the low fat damaged their system... At the same time, when in a stall, the recommendation around here it to watch those calories (including fat) so there's a bit of a contradiction. In any case, I expect to continue this lower fat version of Primal for maybe 6 months or so. Nothing too drastic, and of course there's breaks every so often.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    What about just cutting down the amount of fat and continue at that pace? When I stalled on my weight loss I added back some carbs (sweet potato mostly). Also added some simple High intensity sprints a few times a week and went to a 16 hour break** between dinner - brunch. Some people stall because they don't consume enough calories and starvation mode kicks in. Really just requires trial and error on your part.

** I didn't say Intermittent Fast because everyone then jumps in and says it isn't for the ladies.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    We don't need globs of fat all the time but in practice some problems emerge if we go too low. Fat aids protein digestion and slows starch uptake (usually a good thing) and it's an indivisible part of liver, egg yolks, omega-3 fish, etc. SFA intake also plays an important role in HDL and certain hormone synthesis.

Overall I'd focus on the "nothing too drastic" part and make the obvious cuts like creamy desserts and beverages, oil dressings, and the like.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think your plan would work indefinitely. Long ago I stopped eating a high fat primal diet because my partner is not primal and doesn't want to eat fatty things. I prefer my foods to be lighter anyway. I do not avoid fat, I simply eat it less frequently and usually when I feel like I need it or want it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Thanks, everyone... Cutting back alone isn't cutting it (haha) and I would really like to see some progress so I do plan to do a leaner version of Primal temporarily. Feeling better is all well and good, but I am done being fat and it is time for the last of my weight to come off. It doesn't need to take years. It can be quicker. I will make it happen.

I do IF naturally. Not forced. My IF's are often quite a bit longer than 16 hours though. I just eat when I am hungry.

As I said, it has gone well so far but I am ready for some more drastic weight loss results over the short term. I do know leaning stuff down does work. At the same time, I don't want to compromise my health. Not worried about a few months of fat soluable vitamins, etc etc... People live in a state of vitamin deficiency for DECADES. No, I mean strictly gallbladder health and that is pretty well it for now. I will get back to my fat soluable vitamin concerns when I can fit into my clothes properly.

By the way, I don't do desserts or drink any calories whatsoever. My stalling is coming from too many meat fat calories. That is it.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    One day.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokON View Post
    By the way, I don't do desserts or drink any calories whatsoever. My stalling is coming from too many meat fat calories. That is it.
    So you're going to reduce your fast intake to reduce your overall calorie intake? Or do you just think you're not losing fat because you're getting too many calories from animal fat, so you're going to reduce fat calories and replace them with equal calories from another source?
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    So you're going to reduce your fast intake to reduce your overall calorie intake? Or do you just think you're not losing fat because you're getting too many calories from animal fat, so you're going to reduce fat calories and replace them with equal calories from another source?
    Overall calories. No need to replace them with calories from another source - I would be preparing the same meals, just taking the skin off the baked chicken, or trimming the fat off the steak (and choosing leaner cuts) as well as broiling or grilling instead of my current usual frying...

ETA: Also cutting the extras like butter out of the veggies for a while, etc. Seriously nothing too drastic - but when you choose the lean meats and cook them without added fat, it becomes a low fat diet. I just want to make sure I won't get a gallbladder attack when I go back to Primal for a few days every so often.
    Last edited by GrokON; 09-27-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Have you had a gallbladder attack before?
    The gallbladder stores bile, if your not eating fat then bile is stored. Your body many take a bit to adjust to you not eating as much fat & you may end up with a bloated feeling or discomfort on your right hand side around the edges of your rib cage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast