Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your take on oils? page

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member

What is your take on oils?

Primal Fuel
    I've searched for posts/debates on oils but couldn't find much but I have read posts where people are not fans of olive oil. This is a first for me!

My dad used to buy olive oil for me from his little Italian grocery store by his house and he always complained that I eat too much cause I go through it so fast. (I use it for cooking and salads) I'm starting to wonder if oil is my problem with fighting those those last like 3-4 pounds. (besides my VLCarbing days, of course )

Thanks in advance for any info! ...even a link to another thread would be great!

SteveRB is offline Junior Member
    Look up the article from Mark Sisson "Defending Olive Oil's Reputation", he covers a lot of points in that.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    I've searched for posts/debates on oils but couldn't find much but I have read posts where people are not fans of olive oil. This is a first for me!

My dad used to buy olive oil for me from his little Italian grocery store by his house and he always complained that I eat too much cause I go through it so fast. (I use it for cooking and salads) I'm starting to wonder if oil is my problem with fighting those those last like 3-4 pounds. (besides my VLCarbing days, of course )

Thanks in advance for any info! ...even a link to another thread would be great!
    The problem with Olive oil is that a lot of it is fake. But if you're worried about that, go to Costco and buy Kirkland organic. It might not be the best quality but it's been provien to be olive oil.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Olive oil is ok raw but you shouldn't be cooking with it. Olive oil is unstable and will oxidise when heated creating some molecules that your body will not be ready to deal with. Use beef fat,ghee or coconut oil for cooking as they do not degrade at higher temperatures.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I can't believe in your searching you did not come upon Mark's definitive series on fats and oils.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

barrosknash is offline Junior Member
    I usually go for olive or virgin coconut oil. They are the healthiest types.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Olive oil is a good all around oil for salads and sauteeing. You don't want a super high heat, but google "smoking points oil" and you'll find that olive oil isn't as dainty as a lot of folks think. One caveat: a lot of the olive oil in the U.S. isn't 100% olive oil, so do your research before you buy. California olive oil is a better gamble than imported. It's not that Spain, Greece, and Italy are necessarily trying to rip us off, but the brokers that handle the actual sales and importing are skudge buckets who cheat and lie.

Coconut oil. Great for cooking, tastes good in coffee, good for dry elbows. Cheap and still not mainstream enough to be too concerned about crap oils. Still, keep an eye out for how it's processed before you buy.

Lard and beef tallow. Use non-hydrogenated. Those blocks in most grocery stores are crap. Render your own when possible. Grass fed and pastured are best.

Pastured butter and ghee. Just awesome.

Nut oils. I don't use them, but they have their place. I guess the O6-O3 thing isn't good with them, so use them sparingly.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I can't believe in your searching you did not come upon Mark's definitive series on fats and oils.
    I was searching for forum posts. I have read a few people's posts where they did not feel olive oil was a healthy option and I wanted more info on that.

I've been having salad for dinner the past few nights with only balsamic vinegar and I don't miss the oil at all.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I love olive oil but with two caveats:

1) You've got to be careful you get the real deal and not the stuff with added soy or safflower or canola oil as "filler" so do your research.
    2) I never cook with olive oil. It's just not as stable under high heat as coconut oil, ghee, butter, or tallow, which are all far better for cooking with. Use olive oil for dressings, dips, and cold sauces. Or drizzle it over your already cooked foods.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You should read this recent thread on Olive Oil which talks about how to not get scammed, https://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread94823.html.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast