Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What is your take on oils? page 5

Jimm is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah, water is water. But I'm not a Physics pro.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    For what it's worth on the olive oil thing, heard this on NPR yesterday. The California Ranch brand is pretty easy to find.

To Get The Benefits of Olive Oil, Fresh May Be Best : The Salt : NPR
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Jimm is offline Member
    Right! Before the thread gets totally hijacked-
    these are the trusted sources?

California Olive Oil Council :: Certifying California Extra Virgin Olive Oil since 1992

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    Ok--- LOVE all your knowledge Choco... so so interesting. I'm still trying to take this post in. Since I was VLCing for so long and had a bad experience I am trying to figure out how to eat now. I want to be healthy, no doubt, but I also don't want to gain any weight now that I am adding carbs back in. I love routine and structure even down to what I eat so I need to figure out my new eating plan.

After reading this post above - I'm figuring it out a little easier. Would you critique my idea of a healthy eating plan that will keep my weight in check?

BREAKFAST: eggs and meat (bacon, sausage or my favorite-- chorizo sausage)

DURING DAY: fruit and/or sweet potato

DINNER: salad with tons of veggies and cheese

This would be my eating plan except for Friday nights and Sundays. Please let me know how it looks to you.

Thanks a million!!!
    I think everything you listed is a perfectly fine food. Would it work for me? No way, too much fat, not enough carbohydrate. I lift heavy 4 times a week, and as a 27 year old male I'd be crushed. You being a female that I'm guessing isn't a weight lifting enthusiast? Maybe it's more appropriate for you. Age has a lot to do with it, too. The younger you are, the more carbs and less fat I'd say you should eat. And of course - does your calorie intake fit your goals? Are you eating enough to build muscle? Are you eating too much to lose fat? How many grams of protein are you eating?

These are all what you have to consider. Food choices are what matters for health, but quantity of calories and macros are what will determine your physical performance and aesthetics. I've been at it pretty hard for 3 years and I'm still learning every day. It's a slow road full of experimentation.

I recommend you read moluv's journal. I have a feeling you may be in a similar situation and I'm very impressed with her. It may speak to you.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread92746.html
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
    Distilled water boils. So does double-distilled & deionized "laboratory" water in sterile, dust-free, impurity-free containers. I do it every day. It boils like crazy.
    The Myth About Superheating Water in the Microwave

Have you ever experienced the phenomenon of superheating water in the microwave? Superheating is what happens when water is heated past its boiling point, yet doesn't form the bubbles we associate with boiling. Superheated water is dangerous because it looks like it's cooler than boiling, yet may actually be several degrees hotter! Also, when the superheated water is disturbed, as by bumping the container, stirring the water or adding something to it, the water may suddenly boil or vaporize into burning steam.
    This is what I'm getting at.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Jimm is offline Member
    It did take me a long time to learn to not drop coffee into a freshly-boiled pot of water, as it would explode all over my stove. If this is the phenomena we're talking about, I understand what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
    It did take me a long time to learn to not drop coffee into a freshly-boiled pot of water, as it would explode all over my stove. If this is the phenomena we're talking about, I understand what you mean.
    Yes. This phenomena is why refined oils can be heated higher before they smoke - less "impurities" gives less of a "reaction." However, in reality, the impurities help prevent oxidation, so in this case smoke point is inversely proportional to oil stability.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Yes, that is exactly what we're talking about.

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I think everything you listed is a perfectly fine food. Would it work for me? No way, too much fat, not enough carbohydrate. I lift heavy 4 times a week, and as a 27 year old male I'd be crushed. You being a female that I'm guessing isn't a weight lifting enthusiast? Maybe it's more appropriate for you. Age has a lot to do with it, too. The younger you are, the more carbs and less fat I'd say you should eat. And of course - does your calorie intake fit your goals? Are you eating enough to build muscle? Are you eating too much to lose fat? How many grams of protein are you eating?

These are all what you have to consider. Food choices are what matters for health, but quantity of calories and macros are what will determine your physical performance and aesthetics. I've been at it pretty hard for 3 years and I'm still learning every day. It's a slow road full of experimentation.

I recommend you read moluv's journal. I have a feeling you may be in a similar situation and I'm very impressed with her. It may speak to you.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread92746.html
    Im at about 1300 calories most days. I have no clue if I eat too much or too little! I run alot but haven't lifted weights since my Mud Run in mid-summer. My arms had that sculpted look and then... I got busy with vacations and stuff. I posted on the fitness forum how my husband recently shared he likes my now straight arms better. I want to be super hot to my husband but I finally just made up my mind I'm going for the sculpted look again! I'm a size zero but I've got these 4 lbs that I can't get rid of unless I starve plus work out like a maniac. I know there is a better way out there.

So after all your info I'm going to try to lower fat/higher carbs and weight lift. I'm sure you'll hear from me again,
    either crying for more help or hopefully showing off a fat-free body

Thanks again ... Love your brain Choco!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    Im at about 1300 calories most days. I have no clue if I eat too much or too little! I run alot but haven't lifted weights since my Mud Run in mid-summer. My arms had that sculpted look and then... I got busy with vacations and stuff. I posted on the fitness forum how my husband recently shared he likes my now straight arms better. I want to be super hot to my husband but I finally just made up my mind I'm going for the sculpted look again! I'm a size zero but I've got these 4 lbs that I can't get rid of unless I starve plus work out like a maniac. I know there is a better way out there.

So after all your info I'm going to try to lower fat/higher carbs and weight lift. I'm sure you'll hear from me again,
    either crying for more help or hopefully showing off a fat-free body

Thanks again ... Love your brain Choco!
    There is a way to get rid of them without running yourself into the ground and starving yourself - lift and skew your protein higher! But you knew that already. You need to do what is best for you and what's healthiest for your mental well-being. You can't maintain an existence you won't be happy with or it'll create some weird cycle of yo-yo dieting, self-loathing and weird associations with food. Besides, you probably misunderstood your husband somehow because I have never heard of a man not encouraging his wife if she wanted to get into a little better shape. Note that there is a HUGE difference between toning up and becoming a contest powerlifter - I can understand a man not wanting his wife to turn into a Russian powerlifter, but you're a size 0? You're talking about recomping 5-10 pounds here. That would be a huge mental change for you and probably not a big one for him.

This is a good place to start:

IF Calculator

Note that I generally hate calorie calculators. Not because of what they are, but because people don't know how to use them, then reach some wild conclusion that calories don't matter or CICO doesn't work when they screwed it all up. Also, if you do not currently lift, you are probably either "sedentary" or "lightly active" unless you're running 5+ miles every single day (which would be awful for body composition!). Don't overestimate your activity - this calculator was designed for people that lift, so "moderate" activity means you're in the gym 3 times a week lifting heavy, and going beyond that is more like 4 heavy gym days with regular low level cardio. Don't tell me you're "extremely active" unless you're an NFL wide receiver.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast