Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your take on oils? page 3

MsSmith is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Extra virgin olive oil isn't an unhealthy fat source, but it is extremely fattening. It is extremely calorie-dense, and since it is 90% unsaturated fat, it's more likely to "stick to your ribs" than butter or coconut oil.
    Wow. Thanks for that info.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    I'd bet on soda. How many people drink soda throughout the day and at every meal?
    Soda is a concentrated source of calories for sure, but it is difficult for the body to convert carbohydrate into fat. In addition, the more carbohydrate you eat, the more your metabolism picks up. True, the rise in metabolism is never as high as the calories consumed, but fat contributes none. Overconsuming fat doesn't speed your metabolism up any faster.

If you sit on your ass and pound soda all day, as long as you're not consuming it alongside a fat source, it isn't going to be efficiently fattening. When you consume it alongside a greasy cheeseburger and fries, NOW you have a recipe for massive fat gain because your adipose tissue will suck up all that dietary fat and you won't burn any because you'll be burning the sugars from the soda preferrentially.

Eating a diet high in protein and carbohydrate but with no fat isn't an efficiently fattening diet until you throw dietary fat in the mix. It happens to be that fattening foods are high in fat AND carbs - french fries, brownies, cake, cookies, doughnuts and chicken alfredo pasta all contain as much fat as they do carbs, so you burn the carbs and store the fat. It would be very difficult to get fat eating a diet of soda and pixie stix in the absence of all dietary fat. The average male has to consume something like 700g of carbohydrate a day before de novo lipogenesis (conversion of carbs to fat) is significant in the absence of dietary fat.

But how likely is it you'll consume 20 cans of Coke a day and zero fat?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    It would be very difficult to get fat eating a diet of soda and pixie stix in the absence of all dietary fat.
    Agree. You would probably die before getting fat.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    Agree. You would probably die before getting fat.
    That's entirely possible.

Man who drank three litres of coke died a day after drink made his lungs swell to four times the normal weight | Mail Online

Woman Drank Herself to Death with Coca-Cola : Discovery News

It's happened before.

This isn't an endorsement from me to drink Coke. I'm simply stating it isn't an effectively fattening thing unless you throw dietary fat into the mix. There are plenty of extremely unhealthy people out there that aren't very overweight.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Myrtille is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Drumroll, really, just 'cuz I loves ya - spinach and tomato with sliced garlic sauteed in olive oil is awesome. You can't crank the heat up to blowtorch, but it works. I've also done GF fry bread in olive oil and it was defreakinlicious.
    The solution is to cook with another fat and add olive oil before serving. The taste is also better IMO

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MsSmith View Post
    Wow. Thanks for that info.
    I agree... this is huge.

Thanks!!!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrtille View Post
    The solution is to cook with another fat and add olive oil before serving. The taste is also better IMO
    If the taste is better for you, that's cool. But these two links:
    Smoke point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Cooking Oil Smoke Points

show that evoo has a very easy smoke point. Once you get away from industrial oils, you're going to have smoke points mostly around 320-380 degrees F. EVOO is at 375.

I'm not sure where the myth that olive oil has too low of a smoke point for cooking got started, but I'm guessing it's from comparing it the big plastic bottles of industrial oils found in most grocery stores.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Cooking Oil Smoke Points

show that evoo has a very easy smoke point. Once you get away from industrial oils, you're going to have smoke points mostly around 320-380 degrees F. EVOO is at 375.

I'm not sure where the myth that olive oil has too low of a smoke point for cooking got started, but I'm guessing it's from comparing it the big plastic bottles of industrial oils found in most grocery stores.
    Smoke point isn't what determines when an oil oxidizes or loses flavor. It determines when it...smokes.

Refined soybean oil's smoke point is far higher than virgin coconut oil's smoke point. I assure you, virgin coconut oil is more stable.

Jimm is offline Member
    Soda is a concentrated source of calories for sure, but it is difficult for the body to convert carbohydrate into fat.If you sit on your ass and pound soda all day, as long as you're not consuming it alongside a fat source, it isn't going to be efficiently fattening. It would be very difficult to get fat eating a diet of soda and pixie stix in the absence of all dietary fat. The average male has to consume something like 700g of carbohydrate a day before de novo lipogenesis (conversion of carbs to fat) is significant in the absence of dietary fat.
    Discussing carbohydrates as equicaloric is pointless. Gucose Metabolism is not the same as Fructose Metabolism, starting with the receptor. Fructose goes straight to fat unless you have just run a marathon. Sucrose is 1/2 Fructose, we are eating POUNDS and POUNDS more than we used to. Soda is full of corn Fructose, Pixie stix are not, pasta is not, etc.

Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup in beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity

Myrtille is offline Member
    Cooking Oil Smoke Points

I really do that for the taste, apart from health issues. Same with butter, far more tasty when not cooked.
    Last edited by Myrtille; 10-01-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast