Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could you eat a horse page

Grol is offline Senior Member

Could you eat a horse

Shop Now
    Horse is consumed in many countries, even Canada and Mexico, but here in the US it is taboo. How do you feel about eating a horse. It's apparently leaner than beef and higher in omega 3s.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    I would eat a horse.

I was daydreaming this weekend about hunting tree sloths with a baseball bat. A friend informed me they are full of parasites... too bad, they seem easy to catch.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I've heard a long time ago that we eat more horses in the US of A that we are aware of. A lot of the fast food chain's definition of "ground beef" the typical American's. That said meat's meat. I fixed beef tongue this weekend, I'd have no compunction about eating horse if it tasted good and it wasn't someone's riding pony.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I'll try anything twice. I'm having goat curry Friday, so horse won't be too far from that, I'd think.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Food is food. why not?
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

alurien is offline Junior Member
    I think it might actually be illegal in the US. Seems like I was reading something along those lines a few days ago. But no, I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it tasted ok.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Couldn't do it. I grew up with horses. There's something special about them. They bond with people and work to please them. I couldn't eat a horse no more than I could eat a dog or cat.

Sheer sentimentality on my part? Maybe. But the idea of eating a horse is anathema to me.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I'd be able to eat most animals so long as I know they aren't poisonous and never met them living. It's a curiosity thing for me. I think I could eat cat or dog, so long as I never met it alive.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alurien View Post
    I think it might actually be illegal in the US. Seems like I was reading something along those lines a few days ago. But no, I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it tasted ok.
    There are no federal laws against it. But there are many state and local laws against it. The last slaughterhouse in the USA that killed horses for consumption (both for humans and animals) was ordered to close it's doors a few years ago (2008?)

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    I second some others...I've too much affection for the beasts...just like I do dogs, cats, etc.

Not sure if it's becoming PB, maturity, or what...but I've found a larger soft spot for animals in general the last couple of years. With that, I would only want to harm one if needed for food. Otherwise, I'm a few steps above live and let live. I'm actually turning my yard into a native certified habitat for birds, butterflies, squirrels and the occasional Peter Cottontail that may wander across.
    Last edited by jrherring; 06-07-2010 at 06:58 AM. Reason: wander not wonder. blah
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast