Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New brochures - Grains are OUT page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

New brochures - Grains are OUT

Primal Fuel
    This year's biometric screen pamphlet was notably devoid of phrases like "hearthealthywholegrains" and "arterycloggingsaturatedfat". It is upon us, the system is changing. Enough people have noticed improvement from grain-free diets that it is no longer suppressible.

Advice for high cholesterol simply says "follow a healthy diet", "manage your weight", "Exercise regularly", "Quit smoking;avoid secondhand smoke".

A tiny blurb, sadly, still does say that "cholesterol starts to form a waxy plaque that can clog your arteries", but that isn't entirely untrue, anyway.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

janie is offline Senior Member
    Good sign. I'm reading "Grain Brain" right now and learning even more horrors about those "healthy whole grains".
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Where did you find these brochures/screens; doctor's offices, gov't health offices, health based retailers, insurer info provided to corporate customers?

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Intestinal permeability is the issue. Grains don't become problematic until they leak through your intestines. This is generally reactionary, however. If grains leak through your intestines and cause disease, it isn't necessarily the fault of the grain, it is whatever is causing the permeability.

Permeability of the intestinal lining is often caused by an overabundance of polyunsaturated fat in the diet. If you consume a diet where polyunsaturated fat is very low and saturated fat is very high by comparison, it will greatly lessen the chances of grains permeating your intestinal lining.

That isn't to say grains are good - they are a potent allergen and substantial digestive irritant at worst and a benign source of relatively empty calories at best - but I still feel this lifestyle is too shortsighted in its view. Grains are the bullet, not the shooter. The #1 enemy in the modern diet are the liquid vegetable oils and weird chemical additives in our foods. They are what is damaging our mitochondria, our thyroid, throwing our hormones wildly out of whack and creating the intestinal permeability that is making us so damn sensitive to EVERYTHING. Every autoimmune condition is on the rise. We've been consuming grains regularly for thousands of years, so they clearly are not what is causing this - peanut allergy, celiac disease, dairy sensitivity, MS, Alzheimer's...you have to have peanut-free sections at baseball stadiums now. This was never an issue before, and the peanut hasn't changed much in this country in the past few decades. Neither has grain consumption! Something else is doing this.

I will be very happy when I see a brochure telling us to consume no oil liquid at room temperature (except extra virgin olive oil) and only cook in saturated fats. That, IMO, will keep us much more healthy hormonally so our body can tolerate the comparatively minor irritants, like grains.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-27-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

murf73 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Intestinal permeability is the issue. Grains don't become problematic until they leak through your intestines. This is generally reactionary, however. If grains leak through your intestines and cause disease, it isn't necessarily the fault of the grain, it is whatever is causing the permeability.

Permeability of the intestinal lining is often caused by an overabundance of polyunsaturated fat in the diet. If you consume a diet where polyunsaturated fat is very low and saturated fat is very high by comparison, it will greatly lessen the chances of grains permeating your intestinal lining.

That isn't to say grains are good - they are a potent allergen and substantial digestive irritant at worst and a benign source of relatively empty calories at best - but I still feel this lifestyle is too shortsighted in its view. Grains are the bullet, not the shooter. The #1 enemy in the modern diet are the liquid vegetable oils and weird chemical additives in our foods. They are what is damaging our mitochondria, our thyroid, throwing our hormones wildly out of whack and creating the intestinal permeability that is making us so damn sensitive to EVERYTHING. Every autoimmune condition is on the rise. We've been consuming grains regularly for thousands of years, so they clearly are not what is causing this - peanut allergy, celiac disease, dairy sensitivity, MS, Alzheimer's...you have to have peanut-free sections at baseball stadiums now. This was never an issue before, and the peanut hasn't changed much in this country in the past few decades. Neither has grain consumption! Something else is doing this.

I will be very happy when I see a brochure telling us to consume no oil liquid at room temperature (except extra virgin olive oil) and only cook in saturated fats. That, IMO, will keep us much more healthy hormonally so our body can tolerate the comparatively minor irritants, like grains.
    Amen Choco!

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I have major differences with CSPI but was surprised to see their latest report card on US nutrition call for less grain period (refined and whole).
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

I hear what you're saying and I definitely agree about peanuts. I would say, though, that wheat itself has changed monumentally in the last 50 years. It's not our grandmother's grain and avoiding it is just good sense. I totally agree with your point about polyunsaturated fats though.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I would say, though, that wheat itself has changed monumentally in the last 50 years.
    The bread chapter in Michael Pollan's Cooked is an excellent overview of this. The "Hostess" model has tormented the wheat plant into a ghost of itself.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Where did you find these brochures/screens; doctor's offices, gov't health offices, health based retailers, insurer info provided to corporate customers?
    My employer forces us to have blood tests done annually to earn money for out insurance. Then they spew some CW and shove you out the door with a brochure. It's very much like Soylent Green, actually. Booths, automated flowchart of advice based entirely on specific and isolated bits of info.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I hear what you're saying and I definitely agree about peanuts. I would say, though, that wheat itself has changed monumentally in the last 50 years. It's not our grandmother's grain and avoiding it is just good sense. I totally agree with your point about polyunsaturated fats though.
    I agree that modern GMO wheat is considerably worse than the wheat our grandparents ate. However, that could be easily avoided. Purchasing einkorn wheat or certified organic wheat eliminates that. Whole Foods sells organic sprouted wheat flour for $7 for a two pound bag. It's this stuff:

Arrowhead Mills Sprouted Wheat Flour, 28-Ounce (Pack of 3): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Arrowhead Mills Organic Sprouted Wheat Flour, 28 Ounce Bag (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Again, that's not to say I support consumption of grains. I think it's best to eliminate, or at least severely restrict, grain consumption. They're empty calories at best, and the main focus should be nutrition per calorie. Grains will always lose that battle. I also believe wheat is the worst of the "common" grains we're all familiar with. But I still don't think it's an agent of disease. Sure, heavy grain consumption for decades can lead to inflammation, digestive issues and nutritional deficiencies, but it isn't the main driver of illness and autoimmune conditions. I believe wholeheartedly the main focus of this lifestyle should be the avoidance of liquid oils and polyunsaturated fats because they're the mass murderers. Grains ares more like a mischievous teen with a slingshot by comparison.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast