Thread: Deodorized coconut oil - is it alright? page

LiamT is offline Member

Deodorized coconut oil - is it alright?

Primal Fuel
    I live in Italy which is great, so many of the things people in the States struggle to get (organic, grass fed, etc) are easy for me here. There is even a company that sources all dairy products from local cattle that are reared in and around the mountains here.

However, a lot of health foods haven't really arrived. I have found one health food store that stocks small jars of coconut oil (which are about 3.50 for 200g) but it is deodorized. Is this a big issue? Right now the choice is deodorized or nothing. When I go back to the UK over Christmas I'll bring some big tubs of organic extra virgin stuff back with me but right now getting it shipped isn't a financial possibility. So, should I keep on using the deodorized stuff or give coconut oil a break until I can get the proper stuff?

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Stick to EVCO. Deodorized coconut oil is refined coconut oil.

Refined coconut oil – which is generally what you’ll see in stores – is made from copra, the dried meat of the coconut. However, because the process of drying the coconut is somewhat unsanitary – it includes laying them out in the sun, putting them in a kiln, or smoking them – the oil is inedible, and is therefore required to undergo a refinement process that includes some combination of using high heat to deodorize the oil, filtering the oil through bleaching clays, adding sodium hydroxide to remove impurities and prolong shelf-life, or performing some kind of hydrogenation or partial-hydrogenation process. In industry terms refined coconut oil is RBD – refined, bleached, deodorized.

Read more: Coconut Oil Health Benefits | Mark's Daily Apple

LiamT is offline Member
    Sigh, I wish they sold proper coconut oil in my city. I've spent hours looking around stores and deodorized is the only thing I can find.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT View Post
    Sigh, I wish they sold proper coconut oil in my city. I've spent hours looking around stores and deodorized is the only thing I can find.
    Ciao!
    I have a jar of deodorized CO, I rarely use it but sometimes, when I run out of duck fat or ghee, I use some of it. Not a staple but useful at times.

LiamT is offline Member
    Wow, duck fat! Italians are a little fat phobic so it is hard to get things like double cream, animal fats and ghee. I grew up on a farm in SW England and we used a lot of fat for cooking. In recent years my family has moved basically to a Primal diet which suits them very well.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Italians fat phobic ? I would not have guessed ... being neighbors to French, famous animal fat lovers, I am surprised ...
    Shouth-Western France is especially fond of goose and duck fat (foie-gras, rillettes, magrets, etc) and they experience the lowest incidence of CVD in France, which on avg is among the lowest in the western world. I grew up in Normandie where I ate grass-fed butter during all my childhood. I don't think there should be a phobia or fear of these fats!

I make the ghee myself, very easy to clarify your own butter!

LiamT is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The typical Italian (especially traditionally) things that the best diet is low in animal fats, meat while high in legumes, beans, seafood and grains like pasta. You can't buy salted butter in Italy, neither can you find cream above 35% fat and beyond olive oil they are pretty fat phobic. The Paleo diet goes against the traditional wisdom of an Italian diet, you're right about the French though. The variance in traditional diets throughout Europe is very large despite the Geographical proximity.

I'm planning to make ghee myself in the future. The one thing I love and indulge in often here is mascarpone. It just tastes fantastic with near enough anything but I like it best with nuts.