Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Hello, I'm a sugar addict. page 2

  1. #11
    shawn802's Avatar
    shawn802 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    United states/california
    Posts
    2
    Primal Fuel
    I do not know about yourself but I cannot eat just a little sugar.The stuff drives me nuts. One taste sets me off to the races, and i must have more.

  2. #12
    Myrtille's Avatar
    Myrtille is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by alanwil2 View Post
    Don't know if this will help or not, but for myself what has really helped me with carb cravings and losing weight is to increase the amount of fat that I eat. I eat a lot of coconut oil and butter. Grass-fed butter tastes really good. The fat makes me feel full and I don't feel hungry. At meals I don't even feel like eating because I am not hungry. Many times I eat the oil and butter raw. Some people mix it with coffee. It is called bulletproof coffee. Eat fat, get thin. No sugar, no grains...FTW!!!
    Same to me.
    I tried to stop cold turkey, it worked for some time and then I always felt into binging again. Really discouraging. But now, I see that little by little, I was taking new habits which brought me to be low carb with no difficulties.
    First, the habit of eggs + bacon or cheese for breakfast. That delaid my sugar cravings later in the day. And eating more fat did the same.
    Now, I can enjoy a treat from time to time (not often), it does not end with cravings.
    At first, I supplemented with pre and probiotics to increase good gut flora. Sugar is feeding bad one, so I think it is helpful to help the good flora taking advantage on the bad one.

  3. #13
    FrenchFry's Avatar
    FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    world
    Posts
    1,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrtille View Post
    At first, I supplemented with pre and probiotics to increase good gut flora. Sugar is feeding bad one, so I think it is helpful to help the good flora taking advantage on the bad one.
    Très sage de ta part, Myrtille!
    To the OP, yes, prebiotics could be paramount to success. Feed the right bacteria, starve the bad ones, and you should feel much better in the presence of sugary foods (aka not tempted and satiated). So green bananas, cooked and cooled potatoes, even buckwheat pancakes, etc, any food with prebiotic. Add a good raw milk full fat yogurt (sheep would be best in my opinion), and the probiotics will survive the ride to the colon by attaching to the prebiotics. When gut balance is restored, these cravings tend to become history. Personally, as an ex-sugar-wheat addict, I have had no relapse whatsoever because I focused on gut balance. The first time I introduced pre+probiotics, I must say I felt some dramatic consequences (fartage, bloating, etc, there was war in my gut between bacteria types - all this stabilized eventually and I have not been sick since - took about almost a year to get there, and now after almost 2 years it's routine ...).

  4. #14
    Myrtille's Avatar
    Myrtille is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    Très sage de ta part, Myrtille!
    To the OP, yes, prebiotics could be paramount to success. Feed the right bacteria, starve the bad ones, and you should feel much better in the presence of sugary foods (aka not tempted and satiated). So green bananas, cooked and cooled potatoes, even buckwheat pancakes, etc, any food with prebiotic. Add a good raw milk full fat yogurt (sheep would be best in my opinion), and the probiotics will survive the ride to the colon by attaching to the prebiotics. When gut balance is restored, these cravings tend to become history. Personally, as an ex-sugar-wheat addict, I have had no relapse whatsoever because I focused on gut balance. The first time I introduced pre+probiotics, I must say I felt some dramatic consequences (fartage, bloating, etc, there was war in my gut between bacteria types - all this stabilized eventually and I have not been sick since - took about almost a year to get there, and now after almost 2 years it's routine ...).
    J'aime cette petite goutte de français dans cet océan anglophone

    Thank you for the precisions. The bananas have to be green ? They are not really tasty that way...
    I eat some kefir as well and lacto fermented veggies.

  5. #15
    FrenchFry's Avatar
    FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    world
    Posts
    1,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrtille View Post
    J'aime cette petite goutte de français dans cet océan anglophone

    Thank you for the precisions. The bananas have to be green ? They are not really tasty that way...
    I eat some kefir as well and lacto fermented veggies.
    Ouais, c'est assez amerloque dans le coin mais on s'y fait
    You can have green / yellow bananas. Too ripe and most of the resistant starch has turned to sucrose already. I tried super green bananas ... it is not for the faint-of-heart ... your mouth will dry within a second, and you have to chew for ages because a lot of saliva is required to be able to swallow the stuff. But you can have them already sort of yellow, they are sweet but not too much, and the starch is still present (you feel it in the texture, but nothing compared to the super green stuff).
    As otzi says in these forums or on free-the-animal, probiotics are only half the equation. If you don't provide them with prebiotics, they are about useless. The other thing I learned is that most of them are killed during their ride through our digestive tract unless they can cling to their food (resistant starch or fermentable fibers). So yogurt with say raw potato starch powder or tapioca starch flour mixed up will improve the desirable result. Of course, it is up to you to experiment ... I also use xylitol in my yogurt because it also feeds the good bacteria in the colon. All this is hardly primal but I don't care, I am not religious about all this. As a French, I just enjoy good and nutritious foods, whether paleo or neo-lithic, does not matter to me as long as it is low in toxic shit and has excellent nutrition.

  6. #16
    Myrtille's Avatar
    Myrtille is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    As a French, I just enjoy good and nutritious foods, whether paleo or neo-lithic, does not matter to me as long as it is low in toxic shit and has excellent nutrition.
    I can understand that, it is the most important !
    Unfortunatly, some French think that if the taste is good, it can't arm them. And baguette is really good !

    I agree with you and Otzy concerning pre and probiotics.
    I don't feel like putting starches or xylitol in my kefir. I prefer mixing it with a banana, or eat it with honey (good for probiotics as well).
    I just read artichokes are full of prebiotics too. yum yum.

  7. #17
    laetitia787's Avatar
    laetitia787 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    50
    Hi chucky how is your diet?

    I'm also sugar addict, it made ​​me do damage and made me mad, that shit can be as strong as a drug! But I think nothing is lost, and we are here to make a fresh start and improve our health !
    good luck in your career, you can do it!

  8. #18
    Fisherlassie's Avatar
    Fisherlassie is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    11
    I am also addicted to sugar. I try to avoid it and sweet fruits as well. I eat dark berries like blue berries every day but I don't usually use any sweetners at all because I get out of control really quickly. I don't recommend any sweetners like xylitol because just the sweet flavor makes me want more. For the first few weeks of withdrawal it is helI. I try to stay out of stores where they have samples and I keep a protein snack with me at all times so if I have to go into a store I won't be doing it with low blood sugar. I found almonds were good. I also found eating salmon really helped with the cravings. We would go into the health food store and they would have samples and I would buy some salmon salad at the deli and it would get me though watching my husband sample all the goodies. It gets easier the longer you go without sugar and grains and potatoes. All of those really starchy sweet things just make it worse and take longer to get some peace. Drink lots of water to flush the crap out of your system and if you drink sodas try sparkling water and a piece of lime. It will take a while until your taste changes but for me going cold turkey gave me peace sooner than trying to cut down. Good luck! This is possible!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •