Thread: Oral fixation page

kandygurl2 is offline Junior Member

Oral fixation

Primal Fuel
    I'm doing great on primal but noticed that I need to chew on something even when I'm not hungry. It is driving me crazy. I'm doing 80/20 with primal so am I "cheating" to much?
    This is driving me crazy. I don't like chewing gum it gives me gas and bloating. Please please help me!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you're going crazy

Beefy Jerky makes pretty good 'meat chewing gum'.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

skotcharu is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Yes, you're going crazy

Beefy Jerky makes pretty good 'meat chewing gum'.
    +1

Happened to me too when I started. I made a ton of beef jerky and it helped. I added more fat to my diet and after a couple of weeks the urge subsided.

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    Hum....I thought the title of this thread was going to be much more.....interesting. Surprised that there aren't any other 'suggestions' on how to help with an oral fixation. lol
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am trying to ween off gum, and chew on a chopsticks instead. Cinnamon bark (actual bark, not rolled up one) is supposed to be good too. I actually bought some, but still did not bring it in the office where chewing impulse is the strongest (boredom).
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Go to walmart or target and get a sports mouth guard for like $2. Those things are were always fun to chew on when I played football as a kid. It may make you look weird but its better than a pen.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Chewing gum or any other object that is not intended to be digested is not a good idea imo.

Chewing stimulates the secretion of digestive enzymes to prepare for food that never arrives in the stomach. It seems like a waste to use up your digestive enzyme reserve of these valuable, live proteins on the useless activity of chewing gum.

If you chew gum frequently between meals, it is very feasible that you are using up your digestive enzyme reserves so that the next time you eat, you won’t have enough digestive enzymes on hand to fully digest the meal.

Our bodies were never designed to be constantly chewing.