Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weightlifting Program Recommendation page

diene is offline Senior Member

Weightlifting Program Recommendation

Primal Fuel
    My crossfit coach recently changed the programming to include a lot of running because he realized that a lot of his top athletes have crappy cardio endurance. While I enjoy running, I prefer to do it mostly outside of crossfit. Anyway, I feel like all that running has displaced a lot of weight lifting, and I'm disturbed by it enough that I feel like I need to supplement crossfit with some kind of lifting program on my own. (Whereas, in the past, I supplemented crossfit with running on my own, which I prefer, since I could just go out and run a couple miles in the evening if I felt like it. Lifting on my own is much more annoying.)

So now I'm trying to pick a program. I'm thinking either Stronglifts or Wendler's 5/3/1. Both are simple. Now, before you recommend Starting Strength, let me point out that I actually bought that book a while ago but never read it. I flipped through it and didn't see a program anywhere. Perhaps the program is hidden amidst all that stuff about form and biomechanics (which I have a hard time understanding anyway--my spatial intelligence is dismal--I can neither be an engineer nor a personal trainer, apparently). I packed away the book, and it's now in a pod en route to CA so I don't have access to it anymore.

Both Stronglifts and Wendler are posted online so I was able to find them. I have some questions about each of them. For Stronglifts, it doesn't say what weight you're supposed to be doing your sets of 5 at. What percentage of your 1RM? Do you make each set progressively heavier, or do you stay at the same weight for all 5 sets? (I just looked at the website--didn't read the ebook--so sorry if it's explained in the ebook. I don't really enjoy reading about workout programs.)

For Wendler, it doesn't say how heavy the 5/3/1 sets are supposed to be. In the comments, someone said something that implied that it's 75%/85%/95%. Is that the case?

And, finally, which one do you recommend? Thanks a bunch!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Starting Strength routine is online too. blackironbeast.com has a lot of programs. Check it out, brah.

Oh, cool! That's much simpler than the book.

But it says that the book explains how to figure out what weights to use. I don't have the book right now. Can someone just tell me? Is it in terms of your 1RM. I know my 1RMs (approximately, anyway - I'm still improving pretty fast so the 1RMs become outdated pretty quickly, but it's close enough) for all of the Phase 1 lifts. Now I see why people say that he's obsessed with squats!

Your first session, start with the empty bar. Squat it 5 times. If you can do so without the bar slowing down at all, add 5 or 10 lbs. Keep adding weight incrementally and squatting 5 reps. The first set where the bar slows down is your first work set. Do 3 work sets. That's your first squat workout. Now do the same for press or bench. Only 1 set of 5 for deads. Add 5 lbs to each lift each time you do them. For a lady, you will want to switch shortly to only adding 2.5 lbs to press and possibly bench.

Does that help?

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Oh, cool! That's much simpler than the book.

But it says that the book explains how to figure out what weights to use. I don't have the book right now. Can someone just tell me? Is it in terms of your 1RM. I know my 1RMs (approximately, anyway - I'm still improving pretty fast so the 1RMs become outdated pretty quickly, but it's close enough) for all of the Phase 1 lifts. Now I see why people say that he's obsessed with squats!
    Start with the bar - always. Once you do a two sets of five with the bar, increase the weight a little, and do a few more. Keep doing this until the weight starts to feel kind of heavy, do a set of five, and that is your first workout. Do not look for your 1RM when you're learning how to do the lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Your first session, start with the empty bar. Squat it 5 times. If you can do so without the bar slowing down at all, add 5 or 10 lbs. The first set where the bar slows down is your first work set. Do 3 work sets. That's your first squat workout. Now do the same for press or bench. Only 1 set of 5 for deads. Add 5 lbs to each lift each time you do them. For a lady, you will want to switch shortly to only adding 2.5 lbs to press and possibly bench.

Does that help?
    Bastard! You beat me to it this time! Have you been doing more power cleans?

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Bastard! You beat me to it this time! Have you been doing more power cleans?
    For a change. There's a reason your name's "quikky." (That's what she said).

Yup. Typing way more exposively now due to all the power cleans.

Thanks! That was very helpful!

I might have to change my name to "slowwy" if this continues

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member

hehe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast