Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese, asian who eat carb my whole life, how to replace carb with veg and fruit? page 2

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Half of the company I work for are Koreans and so are the owners. When we go to Korean places for lunch they all eat tons of noodles and rice and the girls are all very skinny and the guys are fit. It amazes me because I know if I was eating that much starch it would make me gain weight.

It must be hard to be Asian and have all your friends eating that way and they're still thin. It's hard for me to watch them eat that way and I'm not Asian.

Wildcaught is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    I'm also Chinese, and have eaten white rice with every single meal for as long as I can remember (around 38 years) prior to going on low carb paleo 1.5 years ago. I haven't touched a single grain of rice or bread or noodles or pasta or cereal or anything made with flour... for 1.5 years. Don't miss them at all.

It is difficult at first. But the trick is not replacing rice with veges and fruits.

It's this: eat as much fat as you can first, then fill in the rest with some protein and lastly, veges and fruit.

I went from 38% body fat (40" waist) to 11% body fat (28" waist) this way, with exercise. In the process, I also improved every single component of my health so much so that my doctor was astounded. No more diabetes, no more hypertension, no more liver/kidney problems...

Oh, a side effect is: I look better than I ever have in my whole life.
    Thank you for the advice! I was wondering the same thing, but now I know to increase my fat intake!

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    My best friend is Filipino and he says the same thing. He is quite lean and actually has a hard time putting on weight. He also can give himself an 8 pack with 2 P90x sessions. Not 2 weeks, 2, total. Anyway, I tell him "just eat white rice, it's pure starch you'll burn it off". There are plenty of paleo-ish folks like Perfect Health Diet who say white rice is fine. Take a look at Chris Kresser's Beyond Paleo: moving from a “paleo diet” to a “paleo template”

What I told him is that if doing without rice would be such a deal breaker that he ended up not sticking with it, he'd be better off just eating the rice. Now, his boyfriend IS trying to lose weight, and can take or leave rice. So what he'll do is make a meat and veggies meal and just add some rice to his only. If you don't have weight to lose then it probably won't hurt ya to keep eating some rice. The most important thing is you ditch the grain.

Just think if you were French, you'd HAVE to ditch bread!
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I eat the rice and sometimes I don't. What i do when I don't is I fill that spot on my plate with veg, lots of it.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    You think you'll miss rice? We were raised on pizza and ramen! Missing those has to be tougher than rice. It is possible. Add mountains of vegetable to your daily food. Helps a lot.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneArchy View Post
    Half of the company I work for are Koreans and so are the owners. When we go to Korean places for lunch they all eat tons of noodles and rice and the girls are all very skinny and the guys are fit. It amazes me because I know if I was eating that much starch it would make me gain weight.
    I have a pet theory that the digestive enzymes in fermented foods like Kim Chee and large quantities of seafood in their diet contribute a lot to their overall health and leanness. Japanese have miso, natto and soy sauce. Just a thought. They might have superior digestion? The dots are out there I'm just too lazy to really connect them :P

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KestrelSF View Post
    If you don't have weight to lose then it probably won't hurt ya to keep eating some rice. The most important thing is you ditch the grain.
    I'm of the opinion to also make sure you have taken care of other stuff first

1) ditch PUFAs
    2) ditch grain
    3) minimize added sugar
    4) sunlight/vitamin D
    5) sleep
    6) exercise

If you take care of those and you're getting the results you're after then I wouldn't worry about rice. I would, however worry about the type of vegetable oil, amount of flour breading and amount of sugar I see in a lot of chinese dishes (both commercial and home made)

PaleoPenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojoman View Post
    hi,
    for my whole life i eat white rice.

any meal without rice would feel strange....

the question is how to replace rice with veg and frutis and what amount?

anyone can advise me?

thank you so much
    My wife is Asian and like you, she has eaten rice her whole life with every meal. But since we've gone Primal, she's cut her rice intake down to one bowl in the morning or sometimes none that day. She says she just has less desire for it now and has replaced it with salad greens.
    50 year old Male
    Current Weight: 195

dado Guest
    I'd like to point out that, no matter how much rice a Chinese person might eat, I never see obese Chinese people.

PaleoPenn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    I'd like to point out that, no matter how much rice a Chinese person might eat, I never see obese Chinese people.
    I go to Japan every 2 or 3 years and I usually only see 3 or 4 fat people the whole time. But where do I see them? At the 7-11 or "HotSpar" buying a lot of junkfood!
    50 year old Male
    Current Weight: 195

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast