Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-started the diet today...ketosis and...?? page

MsSmith is offline Senior Member

Re-started the diet today...ketosis and...??

Thanks for all the information on this site and these forums. I signed up for PaleoTrack and My Fitness Pal and entered my information both places. I prefer PaleoTrack so I deleted my MFP info.

I have been researching the fat, protein, carb ratios and graphics and although I appreciate the advice of "just do the diet, eat the right food, etc.", I need specs to get myself going. I am sure that after a few days or weeks I will be fine and this will be second nature, but for right now I need the tracker and the ratios I've garnered from different posts.

My plan is to get into ketosis (20 grams of carbs per day) and stay there until mid Oct. (vacation), while also walking 2.6 mph for 30 min. (plus 5 min. warm-up and cool-down) 6 days a week. (I do not plan to go higher than 50 grams of carbs per day ever again.) I read that I could be in ketosis in 2-5 days...

At this point, I cannot comfortably walk faster or for longer periods of time. I was walking a total of 45 min. and I crashed last week. I believe it was carb-flu but I am not sure if I should try again for 45 minutes a day. I would really appreciate input about that. And, is 6 days per week too much? I exercise in the morning, about an hour after 1 cup of coffee with stevia on an otherwise empty stomach. It is usually about 10 a.m. at the earliest when I get hungry. I do not ordinarily eat after 6 p.m. I drink about one gallon of water every day.

I guessed my weight and figured my body mass and all of that and it appears that the calories required to maintain my goal weight and level of exercise requires consuming between 1200-1400 calories per day, depending on the calculator. I don't own a scale so I am going by the way my jeans fit. There has been progress since last month - my jeans are looser but not as loose as they were 2 years ago when I weighed 169 pounds. I am not sure if I have lost weight or fat, or both. My goal is 135 pounds which is the "ideal" weight for my height and frame, 5'8".

From what I have gathered on ketosis sites, it seems that when in ketosis, fat burning begins immediately upon exercising as opposed to exercising when not in ketosis, in which fat burning begins after 20 minutes of exercising. If anyone has a differing opinion about this, please please let me know. But, if this is true, I wonder how to calculate how much more fat/calories I will be burning. (I will get a scale soon!) The 1200-1400 calorie guide for my goal weight of 135 is 1100-1300 fewer calories than someone with my current weight needs to maintain (2500 calories). So, if I go by that and the calories burned (144) feature on the treadmill, it would seem that I will be losing 2-3 pounds per week (500 calories = 1 pound). Will I lose more and/or faster because I am exercising during ketosis? (Mathew McConaughey did a much more drastic diet - 4 ounces of fish + 1 cup of vegetables, twice a day - for a longer amount of time.)

I know this may cause eye-rolling but I am still in a bit of shock about the fat grams one can have on this diet, but I know my reaction is based on years of misinformation about fat and cholesterol, and also the information I was given post cholecystectomy. I am thrilled that this diet/lifestyle will allow me to have bacon and pork chops! The PaleoTracker will help me keep an eye on calorie dense foods before I eat them.

And it does seem odd to me that I may be consuming more fat than protein...? Would it be wrong for fat and protein to be equal amounts?

If you have any suggestions or thoughts, please let me know. I am so tired of being overweight and bloated. So many social situations in my life have been derailed because of appearing to be 6 months pregnant after a meal that included grains -- and that would be every meal prior to last month. I want to have a normal appearing body.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by MsSmith; 09-26-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: corrected H-B BMR
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

I'm sorry if this is confusing and/or perplexing. Please ask me some questions, if it will help.
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

diene is offline Senior Member
    Hi, good luck with the ketogenic diet. The "Eat Moar Fat" thread may have good information regarding ketosis.

I did a cyclic ketogenic diet for a couple months. I'd do the fat fast on Monday and Tuesday to get myself into ketosis fast, then increase protein Wednesday-Friday. Carb up on the weekend, and do HIIT on the treadmill Monday morning.

I ate 1200-1500 calories per day, lifted weights 2x a week, ran 2x a week (one short run of 4.25 miles and one long run of 6-8 miles), and did HIIT on the treadmill once a week.

I didn't actually lose any body fat doing this. I kept losing and regaining the same 5 lbs of water weight. And by the end of it, I wanted to shoot myself.

Anyway, not saying that this won't work for you, but, I guess my point is that ketosis doesn't work for everyone. You'll find out soon enough though. If being in ketosis causes you to not feel hungry, then it will probably work for you. Being in ketosis never affected my appetite. In fact, I was starving the whole time because fat doesn't satiate me.

Regarding your question about protein vs. fat. The thing is, if you want to stay in ketosis, you have to limit your protein intake. It's a high fat, moderate protein, very low carb diet. The reason is that if you consume too much protein and not enough carbs, your body will use gluconeogenesis to convert some of the protein into glucose, and this could kick you out of ketosis. In my opinion, one of the biggest problems with a ketogenic diet is that it's hard to get enough protein.

Also, you should get some ketostix (or, better yet, a blood ketone meter--but I think those test strips are expensive) to ensure that you're actually in ketosis.

Thank you. My ratio of foods today is: Fat 55%, Carbs 8%, Protein 36%

But, it's only 810 calories...so far...

So I will add 1 Tbs coconut oil - making it 927 calories.

And: Fat 61%, Carbs 7%, Protein 32%

Carbs for today: 16 grams

I don't think I can eat another bite. Maybe that's a good sign...?
    Last edited by MsSmith; 09-26-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    48 - 5'7.5"

diene is offline Senior Member
    Well, if your low appetite continues, that means it will probably work for you.

But 927 calories is pretty low. It's fine to have low-calorie days from time to time, but you shouldn't chronically eat so few calories. So if you find that you never have any appetite to eat more, then you should probably do carb refeeds once a week and just eat a bunch of carbs--good primal carbs, of course.

You should probably read that "Eat Moar Fat" thread (just search for it using the search box at the top right hand corner of the screen). It'll probably have more information. My affair with ketosis was short and dismal so I'm afraid that I don't have that much more helpful information for you.

Thank you. I am very surprised that I am full after eating that small amt. of calories. I ran out of almonds and cashews yesterday! LOL.
    48 - 5'7.5"

Mini_mi is offline Member
    Hi Ms Smith,

Your not eating enough. If you want to succeed, you have to eat enough calories. If your going to have a weight goal, use a scale. No estimating or guessing. It's your great you want to clean up your diet, but use factual information (calorie tracker, food scale, body weight scale, etc). Also, 2 weeks isn't going to change you that much short of a few pounds water weight. Low carb for me anyway, wasn't ideal. Energy was too low. I found getting plenty of carbs and protein gave me the energy and satiety that I needed to be successful. Hope these pointers help.
    Good luck

Thank you. I am going grocery shopping tomorrow. There is really nothing else here that I could eat, even if I wanted to. I am sure if there were cashews in the pantry, I would be munching on them as we type...
    48 - 5'7.5"

And PS, Mini-mi, I am definitely going to purchase a (person) scale soon. I have a gram/ounce food/postal scale.
    48 - 5'7.5"

Mini_mi is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MsSmith View Post
    Thank you. I am going grocery shopping tomorrow. There is really nothing else here that I could eat, even if I wanted to. I am sure if there were cashews in the pantry, I would be munching on them as we type...
    Might want to watch out with the nuts. They are calorie dense. Very easy to pile on the calories. Instead of nuts, eat a piece of meat. More filling and more nutritious than nuts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast