Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wife not losing weight page 2

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_CA View Post
    post-menopause. She walk/jogs; takes crossfit classes; has added some weights - pulldowns, curls, kickbacks, ... We've added more sleep since starting, about 8 hours though tired upon rising. No digestive or other health issues.

Meals -
    Breakfast: 3 eggs, bacon, 2 cups of coffee or just has banana or skips
    Lunch: Smoothie, low sodium chicken great on lettuce, veggie burger, or skips
    Dinner: selection from Primal cookbooks
    Snacks: nuts (maybe too many?), fruit

Not considering portion sizes at all though not binging.
    Veggie burger? Is it homemade or prepackaged?

Potential problems:
    -not enough protein. Seems full of carbs and fat combos and the listen protein isn't that high quality.
    -either cut carbs or cut fat. She seems to be eating a high carb (fruit, veggies)+ high fat (PUFA PUFA PUFA in bacon/nuts), low protein from the limited information you gave. High carb high fat is closer to conventional than primal eating.
    -nuts. Cut it. Just do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    This may be a little bit out there but....

If she is post-menopause, it could have something to do with her progesterone level being too low. It really declines as we age and most post-menopausal women can diet and eat clean all they want and not lose any weight.

You might want to research a natural or bio-identical form of it.

Just my 2 cents
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    This may be a little bit out there but....

If she is post-menopause, it could have something to do with her progesterone level being too low. It really declines as we age and most post-menopausal women can diet and eat clean all they want and not lose any weight.

You might want to research a natural or bio-identical form of it.

Just my 2 cents
    This is a good point. Dong quai or Vitex are good herbal options for raising progesterone levels. I have read that dong quai is more successful for post menopausal women (I used Vitex, but I am hopefully very pre-menopausal).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    This is a good point. Dong quai or Vitex are good herbal options for raising progesterone levels. I have read that dong quai is more successful for post menopausal women (I used Vitex, but I am hopefully very pre-menopausal).
    Progesterone is even beneficial for pre-menopausal women who suffer from PMS or PMDD. And from what I've read, you can use it in conjunction with dong quai.

If OP is interested:

Progestelle looks to be one of the best I've come across: Progesterone Cream Oil SPECIALTY Progestelle PRESERVATIVE FREE - Women's Therape has a lot of info on it.

skotcharu is offline Senior Member
    If she is doing crossfit she has to be gaining more muscle. More importantly how does she feel. Is her body recomping? It's hard to do crossfit and not add muscle. My first week of primal I lost 7 lbs, then I started hitting the weights and gained 5 lbs. And it looks like all muscle. Haven't been this fit since high school.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Going Paleo is not a weight loss diet, it is a be healthy diet. Everyone is going to need something different from thier diet to get healthy and if you spend years underfeeding and abusing your body then it is going to take time for a new balance to be found.

Forget loosing weight for now and work on eating enough healthy food. You cant do starvation with paleo foods and expect to get healthy and loose weight. From what I saw your wife is eating wayyyyyy too little food and no where near enough protein.

Untill you have paleo dialed, say 6 months of eating a healthy diet and your body is used to a standard of plenty, dont skip meals or fast or work out a ton. Keep it basic keep it plentiful and walk a lot.

After that, see where you are and maybe if everything else is dialed, start cutting out breakfast and eating with a compressed window.

Folks come to paleo and then make the same mistakes that did not work all the other times they tried to diet. This aint a diet it is a lifestyle eating The human diet. Calorie restriction and such foolishness will not get you healthy, a crap ton of cardio and workouts will not burn fat. This we know which is why primal has the 10 rules.

good luck.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    1. 2 weeks isn't enough to notice significant weight loss. You can easily lose or gain a few pounds a day depending on what you do.
    2. Its calories that mainly matter. If you eat primal, and aren't eating less than your body needs, you won't lose weight.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I dropped 40 lbs in about 6 months. My wife went through a healing process, and dropped about 5 during that time, then 30 lbs in the next six months. Keep her eating good foods, which does not include veggie burgers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12