Thread: Coffee and the transition to being fat adapted page

LiamT is offline Member

Coffee and the transition to being fat adapted

Shop Now
    Hello everyone,

I'm in my first days of very low carbs (having been grain free for a while) and I'm in brain fog mode at the moment. I have a quick, specific question.

Do you think that coffee (I drink a strong espresso without sugar, I live in Italy) will help the transition to using fat as a primary fuel? I know that caffeine is sold as a fat burning supplement and it helps mobilize fat but do you think that applies to where I am at the moment in the transitional phase?

I know that coconut oil is suggested to help the transition and when I go shopping on Saturday I'm going to get some and add a teaspoon to my espresso. Honestly, I started up the espresso again (I'd cut it out before) to get me through the things I need to do while in brain fog. It made me feel better and I wondered if it might be helping my body burn fat better and speed up the process.

If you say yes I will still be sticking to one or two a day tops. I won't become a coffee drinking machine.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    It potentially could help, just remember not to use it as a crutch and don't expect a miracle. You'll likely still feel some "transition" pains.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

LiamT is offline Member
    Thanks Drumroll, it does seem to help if I have a (small) strong black coffee after my high fat meals. My energy is better, I'm less foggy and generally feel better. I have no idea how much of that is a caffeine kick and how much is it helping to break down and mobilize the fat but it is nice for the times I need to avoid being a zombie. The "transition" pains have been pretty intense the last few days and I'm looking forward to them being over or at least severely reduced.

ninalm1228 is offline Junior Member
    Up your magnesium, potassium and sodium and fat. It totally helped me.