Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concern Trolling at the Gym page 2

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well i'm glad I didn't say anything then! Maybe if someone was in immediate danger, but otherwise no. It's hard because in my workplace we have a HUGE safety culture that encourages (demands!) that unsafe behaviours be called out and remedied.

Oh well, I'll mind my own business!
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Nope.

Here's the thing -- unless there is imminent danger to the person, I don't say a thing -- and that goes for when I'm teaching a yoga class. But let me back that up.

Normally, when I teach, I teach very clearly. Everyone gets instruction, hands-on-assists, and the whole deal. No matter what. That's just part of th class.

But every once in a while, a person comes in who has been doing yoga "for a long time" or whatever, and their postures are abysmal, and they are doing things that are not healthy for them long term.

They are not going to take any information from me. I basically give them small assists, tell them they're great, and so on. They come back, and over time, we build a rapport, and when that's built THEN I can correct for in-depth. It takes a few weeks.

So that's how I roll. People gotta do their own stupid sometimes. Me included.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I train in a weightlifter gym (so not a standard commercial gym) and there was a guy who did horrendous benching (the only thing remaining in contact with the bench during the procedure was his upper back. I told him he should try to keep his ass on the bench. I meet him regularly there, and he was there again the other day. He was still doing horrible benching. This time, I didn't mention it. I feel it should be enough to say it once, and if he doesn't change, that's on him.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    People gotta do their own stupid sometimes. Me included.
    I like that. I might just have to borrow it! It's so true.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    So that's how I roll. People gotta do their own stupid sometimes. Me included.
    I agree completly, it's a human right to do stupid things also when lifting, without some "gym-nanny" to correct them all the time...

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Hubby and son are doing SS and the only gym in town is a place where almost everyone who goes there just uses the machines.
    It seems like about once a week some helpful know-nothing feels the need to give them advice. The advice giver is always someone who never lifts free weights and is clearly out of shape. Hubby is very open to taking input from someone who know what they are doing but alas that has happened yet.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12