Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What primal foods are packed with iron? page

fable is offline Senior Member

What primal foods are packed with iron?

Hi,

Since I am volounteering to give blood, I had it checked, and it turns out I'm a bit low on iron. I need to fill up the reservoirs in order to be allowed to give blood, so I was given a package of iron pills. I don't really like the pills, however, as they aren't too kind to my stomach and would prefer getting my iron from natural, primal sources. Any tips on the most iron-dense foods? I heard organs like liver are good, but unfortunately, I haven't yet learned to enjoy liver dishes..

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Beef! Eat your beef!

Buteo is offline Member

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    Yes liver is very rich in iron. Cooked with onions and bacon it is very tasty. Maybe look up some recipes (Liver and Bacon). Very popular in UK. Trick is not to overcook liver as it becomes tough. Lightly cooked and slightly pink inside it's very soft. You do need a bit of sauce or gravy with it though. Hope this is of help or as Zed has said - Beef! Nothing wrong with a big fat steak to increase those iron levels. Don't have it with caffeine though, hinders absorption of iron, salad good.

stevehtcyl is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadgal View Post
    Yes liver is very rich in iron. Cooked with onions and bacon it is very tasty. Maybe look up some recipes (Liver and Bacon). Very popular in UK.
    Totally agree on the liver thing, it probably has more bio available iron than any other food. Popular in the UK though? I get my liver incredibly cheap because my butcher tells me nobody buys it. I get a kilo for about 7, grass fed lamb killed but a couple of days before.

Buteo is offline Member
    ...was sure I's replied to this but my post seems to have disappeared

..anyway I posted this link which has details of the iron levels in lots of primal-friendly foods:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp#h2

Lean Body is offline Member
    Maybe you should also consider to consume vitamin C to help your body to better absorb the iron in the food you eat. Liver and beef are great sources of iron, but if you also want to get some additional iron from vegetables you can get it from spinach, turnip greens, kale, collards, Beans, asparagus, cauliflower chard, celery, beets, cabbage, and raisins.

fable is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the good advice! What a great excuse to indulge in beef. And I think I will actually give the liver a second chance. It's not very popular in Norway, so maybe the butcher will have some cheap, good liver for me. And bacon pretty much makes anything better, so I'll try that.. Maybe with a dessert of C-packed fruits and berries?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Why not make a pork and liver pate? It keeps really well for a week, is delicious and packs loads of vit. D.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know lots of people who like liver and bacon, but I'm not one of them. I do however like liver pate. You can make it, but if buying it make sure you get a good quality one with plenty of % meat. Some have very little real liver at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast