Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So much meat. page

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member

So much meat.

In my primal ventures, I stopped cooking with coconut oil, stopped eating nuts/seeds, and stopped eating eggs. This is due to FODMAP issues, digestion, etc (except coconut oil). Therefore all my fat intake comes from animal meat. Now with that, I am eating 2lbs per day of fatty cuts like chuck steaks, pork shoulder, country ribs, and whole chickens. My fat intake is 150-200g max, but my protein intake can be from 180-280g! Im only 144lb. Since primal is low carb in nature, i can only yield about 400 or less calories from carbs (avg 80g). So my caloric void is filled by fatty meat. Is this an issue? Not sure what I should do to lower protein and increase fat. I hit upper 2k range in calories, and maintain at 144lb with very low body fat. Plus, grok didnt cook with coconut oil, so im assuming his fat was predominantly from animals.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

moluv is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people have found that they can veer from that carb recomendation and eat more carbs with less protein and fat while still choosing from the primal promoted foods. If your weight is stable and you have no pressing health issues it seems you are in a prime spot to experiment with your macros to find what makes YOU feel good.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense in regards to the whole purpose of primal eating. Primal/paleo isn't just eliminating grains, it's about eating low carbohydrates because paleolithic humans had little access to carbohydrate sources such as fruits and vegetables, especially in the ice age. That's why the biology of humans isn't meant to have high carbohydrate intake. Insulin sensitivity, down regulation of hormone sensitive lipase, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCypher0 View Post
    I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense in regards to the whole purpose of primal eating.
    Perhaps the OP does not require a strict Primal diet and can experiment with the macros.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense in regards to the whole purpose of primal eating. Primal/paleo isn't just eliminating grains, it's about eating low carbohydrates because paleolithic humans had little access to carbohydrate sources such as fruits and vegetables, especially in the ice age. That's why the biology of humans isn't meant to have high carbohydrate intake. Insulin sensitivity, down regulation of hormone sensitive lipase, etc.
    That's not true. People in the paleolithic had access to starchy plant organs. The people of Papua New Guinea get more calories from yams than meat and some of them even consider yams to be like a type of money. Even during the ice age there were tropical regions on the planet and even in Alaska and Finland they have native starchy roots to eat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    That's not true. People in the paleolithic had access to starchy plant organs. The people of Papua New Guinea get more calories from yams than meat and some of them even consider yams to be like a type of money. Even during the ice age there were tropical regions on the planet and even in Alaska and Finland they have native starchy roots to eat.
    This. We developed our tastes for carbs because they were rare, but they certainly weren't unheard of. Yams, potatoes, fruits... we ate anything we could get our hands on.

Okay okay, but we can agree that the premise of the primal lifestyle and eating habits is based on low carb intake to promote optimal health, yes? I'd like to get back to my original question on how to reduce protein while maintaining fat intake, while maintaining a whole foods diet that does not consist of nuts, seeds, or eggs. I'm going to keep my carbs low, so that's not an option I'm going to pursue.

Okay okay, but we can agree that the premise of the primal lifestyle and eating habits is based on low carb intake to promote optimal health, yes? I'd like to get back to my original question on how to reduce protein while maintaining fat intake, while maintaining a whole foods diet that does not consist of nuts, seeds, or eggs. I'm going to keep my carbs low, so that's not an option I'm going to pursue.
    Oh, I apologize for not realizing that you were the OP, I'm not paying attention.

As to your original question- why not render lard or tallow and add it to your other meat and veggie dishes.

No worries. How would I go about doing that though?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    FWIW, I agree with you on keeping carbs fairly low. Since you have some limits on what you can eat, I don't think adding some coconut oil or lard to your veggies and other cooked foods will hurt as long as you maintain enough protein for your needs.

Sorry I'm a bit ignorant on the FODMAPS thing, but from this chart: http://www.ibsgroup.org/brochures/fo...tolerances.pdf , it looks like you can eat hard cheeses, brie, and camembert. That would be one way to get fat without meat and without adding oils just for the sake of calories.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast