Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nuts.... How much are allowed? page 2

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If you're trying to lose, my advice is to cut out the snacking completely, much less the nuts and dried fruits. Those are ridiculously high in calories and so easy to overeat.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Heliotrope is offline Member
    I kicked the nut habit after reading Paul Jaminet's words that the omega-6s in them make you fat beyond their already high calories. I don't need that! Giving them up was a change for the better, because, yes indeed, they were so easy to overeat. I'm better off not going there.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwigolfer39 View Post
    I'm big trying to get small. Have around a handful a day mixed nuts and some dried fruit like cran berries....
    Handful a day shouldn't be a problem.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Calories do matter, but nuts tend to be sneaky because they leave you hungry and make you end up eating more calories (for some people!). When I was new, trying to quit soda and snacks, I used a LOT of nuts, mainly almonds, to replace basically every snack I had. So I walked around with a feedbag of almonds for a few weeks and actually gained a bit of weight - but I also became more efficient at digesting fat (which, most would say, I hope, makes the body better at utilizing its own fat), and when I got serious, it was easy to quit me feedbag habit and the weight melted off. Knowing what I know now, I'd rather have done that with bacon or something, lol. Probably would have become a better "fat digester" in shorter time.

For maintenance, I only eat nuts once a week on grocery day for the most part. That's how fattening they are to me.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member
    Be careful about a "handful" a day. One ounce of almonds is over 150 calories, which is not even close to a handful depending on the size of your hand. You could be consuming 200-300 calories or more in a true handful. In comparison, you could have 8 to 12 ounces of chicken breast in exchange for those nuts. Sure, chicken breast isn't nearly as tasty, but the volume of the chicken breast and satiety is what might help you more when you are trying to lose.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    My hands are huge, I'm sure my handful of nuts is closer to 300. *runs and hides before jokes roll in*

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    my handful of nuts
    I don't get it. What is there to joke about?!

kiwigolfer39 is offline Member
    Cheers all... Much appreciated for all you honestly and comments..... Gonna put them on the back burner for now and ween myself off them. Got half a jar to go so gonna slip to every other day and so on.....

So far I have met every target I set myself so I'm on track and wanna stay they way lol

Thanks again

Mark

Muffa is offline Junior Member
    I caved on my craving!! I'm really new to this and trying to follow. I'm down 10# and then the craving came on. I ate 2 dark chocolate truffles from Chubby Chipmunk!! Now I'm trying to get back on track, does anybody check to see if they are burning ketones?

zizou is offline Senior Member
    I must admit i love snacking on something when watching tv/being lazy. Nuts and dried fruit i've overdosed on the last 2 days. It's not healthy and it's bad for me, i even made oven roasted sweet potatoe chips to munch away on (which are bloody delicious) but i admit snacking is such a hard thing to give up. If done in moderation i see no harm, but there lies the problem.

Moderately eating a few nuts, fruit both dried and normal, some home made potatoe chips ain't bad, but only if your in control. Forgot to mention the block of dark chocolate i ate to accompany my dates and figs! Primal desert heaven! And to think of all the other possibilites i have in m head too...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast